Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 210

Thread: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

  1. #81
    They ignore ridicule & fight; I win
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    41,989

    Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

    Quote Originally Posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
    If possible, try to get seat backs, much more comfortable, equal to GPC and more comfortable than Houston Field House (sorry Flag, the Engineers have to realize we've all gotten bigger and wider since WWII).
    Hey now, some of the other arenas out there, especially the newer ones, have tiny seats, and much tinier than HFH. Compton (Notre Dame) were especially tiny, and if you ever go there, I recommend standing room. Class of '65 (Colgate) about the same. And I'm, well... let's just say there's a lot for FlagDUDETTE to love, as may have been on display last night. We had standing room last night behind the goal (I don't find the nets really obstruct that much at all, but that's just me), so I don't know the size of your chairs. Obviously you don't play at either of the rinks I mentioned this year, but just in case you take a trip there in the near future.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  2. #82
    Lt. J. Isaac Powers, Starfleet
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Final Frontier
    Posts
    2,377

    Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

    Quote Originally Posted by RIT Winters View Post
    No one was expecting us to be in the running for at-large bids.
    And why the heck not?

    Or do you mean this season specifically?


    Powers &8^]

  3. #83
    Hey, you SUCK!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,213

    Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

    Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    And why the heck not?

    Or do you mean this season specifically?


    Powers &8^]
    We are discussing this season, so yeah..this season.

    Given where we ended last year and how many question marks we have entering this year, I don't think it's realistic for us to have entered play expecting to be fighting for an at-large bid. This is especially true now that we're three games in.
    RIT

  4. #84
    R!!!!...I!!!!!...T!!!!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    1,790

    Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Also, although I'm sure you know this already, don't yell "Tigers" at the end of the anthem; that'll get you a one-way ticket to US 9W as well. It is still a military base.
    I still think that shouldn't happen anywhere, but nobody on here seems to agree. If I were a veteran, soldier, reservist or a military academy student hearing that, I'd be p'ed off. It's disrespectful to something that many hold close to their hearts and have been willing to sweat, bleed, fight and die for. Yes, they've fought for our freedom to do (stupid) things like that, but as I believe: "Just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean it's right to do it."
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

  5. #85
    WITR "Plan Z" Color Commentator
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    3,830

    Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

    This weekend was like a nightmare rewind of last season. Sloppy coverage, goaltending that just wasn't good enough, and a disheartening Injury. In the past I'd just say move on, but giving recent history you have to worried that this may be a trend. The only good news is I guess you could say they took less undisciplined penalties...

    Not that we want to lose either of them, but it really would have been better to have an injury happen to the other Norrish twin. I am not saying that cause I think Brady is better than Chase, but because Brady shots Right. We have the left shots to spare, but not the right. Wayne is now forced to either put Chase on the right side, or he'd have to put another left handed shot there as there are only two defensemen left who shot Right, Darren Brady and Regan Seiferling. The injury to Brady affected the opening goal and Chase forced a bad shot that was blocked and than neither him nor Abt could get back and break up the resulting 2 on 1.

    Defensive coverage this weekend was night and day difference than what it was at Blue Cross. Even if we had to alternate two goaltenders I was extra comfortable with the defensive core that would be in front of them. Now I am not so comfortable. I have no idea who will get the start against Army on Friday. Honestly my only correct guess was Short against Union, and honestly I thought he would get his start at Blue Cross (Think Wayne just likes making me look bad ). I was a little surprise to see Drackett come out first Saturday. We all know how each place in the standings are separated by just a point or two. So I really expected Andriano to get more of a look against RPI. I really feel for Short, his playing time last year was confusing to me. He didn't get much help against Union, but also didn't do himself a lot of favor either. It hard to say where he goes from here. Drackett was very good against Northeastern and really not so good against RPI. Yeah again he didn't get much help, but as they say goaltenders need to give their team the opportunity to win. Andriano has a small sample size and this is an Army team coming in that has great odds of making it to Blue Cross.

    My guess is Drackett will get the start. But he probably hate me for that prediction as a already noted my record of predicting starting goaltending is about what the Tigers record is now...
    Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

    Thomas M. Naeger
    The Mule
    Rochester Institute of Technology '03


    "Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

    "If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

  6. #86
    R!!!!...I!!!!!...T!!!!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    1,790

    Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

    Quote Originally Posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
    I admire your optimism and looking at this more like a glass half full rather than empty but I am indeed worried. We just didn't get beat, we got blown out of the water on both nights. The gel we were hoping for did not happen this weekend and we still will be looking for it next weekend in West Point.
    I completely agree that the Union (and NU, for that matter) completely dominated the play of the games against the Tigers. The atrocious goaltending in the first period on Friday (Short did settle down a bit after that, to be fair) made it that much tougher.

    I disagree, however, about the RPI game. I think goaltending is almost (along with the penalties and lack of finish by the shooters that cost the Tigers a few choice opportunities) the sole reason they lost that game at all, let alone by 5 goals. In my estimation, at LEAST 5 (possibly even 6) of those goals could be put squarely on the goalies (Andriano's goal looked weak from my angle). The Tigers out-shot and out-hit RPI, while generally playing at least even in terms of tempo and winning 50-50 battles for pucks (unlike the NU or Union games). It's just really difficult to play well with no confidence in the last line of defense. Goaltending like that will get us a quick trip to 11th place this season. I'm not exaggerating to make a point either. I just hope this was a one time aberration and our freshmen come out and play more like Drackett did against NU. I was very surprised to see him play the way he did this week after watching him last week. He just seemed a bit out of sorts, indecisive, fighting the puck and way way too aggressive leaving his crease to play the puck. He's obviously pretty good at puck handling, but needs to learn to pick his spots. Experience will get him there. What surprised me more is that Andriano didn't get a start this weekend. I imagined that Coach was going to give each stopper one OOC game prior to the Army contests and the start of the conference schedule. Maybe he knows from practice that Andriano isn't ready. If Drackett is the Tigers best hope with Short as the backup, we'd better hope RPI was the aberration, not NU.

    We all knew prior to the season that goaltending was RIT's largest question mark. So far, we can't like the answers. It can only get better, right?
    The lack of offensive finishing ability (how many shots went wide this weekend? - sheesh) is nothing new for this team, but still needs to be overcome somehow.
    Last season both Norrish brothers were lost and the season went a bit off the rails. So far we've already lost one of them. The remaining healthy Norrish needs to keep out of the penalty box. Between Chase and Girduckis this weekend, the team couldn't find any kind of groove because of the stupid and lazy penalties.
    Last edited by TigerFan86-87; 10-23-2017 at 01:06 PM.
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

  7. #87
    Lt. J. Isaac Powers, Starfleet
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Final Frontier
    Posts
    2,377

    Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
    I was very surprised to see him play the way he did this week after watching him last week.
    Against NU most of the shots came from outside. Against RPI most of the shots came from in close. I think that's the difference.


    Powers &8^]

  8. #88
    WITR "Plan Z" Color Commentator
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    3,830

    Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

    Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    Against NU most of the shots came from outside. Against RPI most of the shots came from in close. I think that's the difference.

    Powers &8^]
    There were a couple of great opportunities down low that Drackett made dazzling saves on. Freshmen goaltenders can be up and down as they adapt to college hockey. Let me tell you about one I am very familiar with from my old D-III days.

    He was hurt to start his freshman year with a stress fracture. When he was healthy enough to play he was thrown into the fire against Elmira in a great hockey game that ended in a 2-2 tie. Next start was at Plattsburgh in the famous Plattsburgh/Oswego rivalry. He allowed only 2 goals, including a dazzling glove save that started a premature tennis ball throw, when all was said and Oswego had a big win at Platty. After two games against two of the better teams in D-III he had the worst game of his hockey career against Geneseo, allowing 7 goals in a 7-6 loss. I recall him say "Man, I don't think I ever allowed 7 goals ever". Even though I was afraid he might ride the bench, coach went back to him on his next schedule start and he responded with his first career shutout of New England College. But the roller coaster came back in his next start in a 3-2 loss to Fredonia. May not sound bad, but the game winning goal came from center ice. All though I will point out that the linesmen missed that the play was off-sides, nevertheless the goal counted. He came back to beat Hobart at the famed Geneva Recreation Arena when his team was outplayed for much of the night. He then beat RIT at the Ritter, one of 2 victories over RIT (which I am still reminded of to this day) and secured the number 1 spot on his team and never let it go. He racked the awards during his career 1st Team All-Conference Goaltender and Freshman of the year in Conference. 2nd Team All-Conference Junior Year. 1st Team All-Conference Senior Year. 2006-2007 All-American and a National Championship win, while setting the record for most saves in a National Championship game.

    Now I have no idea if Drackett or Andriano will go on to such a career. Point is don't be surprise if a Freshman Goaltender has a bit of a roller coaster ride.
    Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

    Thomas M. Naeger
    The Mule
    Rochester Institute of Technology '03


    "Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

    "If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

  9. #89
    R!!!!...I!!!!!...T!!!!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    1,790

    Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Naeger View Post
    There were a couple of great opportunities down low that Drackett made dazzling saves on. Freshmen goaltenders can be up and down as they adapt to college hockey. Let me tell you about one I am very familiar with from my old D-III days.

    He was hurt to start his freshman year with a stress fracture. When he was healthy enough to play he was thrown into the fire against Elmira in a great hockey game that ended in a 2-2 tie. Next start was at Plattsburgh in the famous Plattsburgh/Oswego rivalry. He allowed only 2 goals, including a dazzling glove save that started a premature tennis ball throw, when all was said and Oswego had a big win at Platty. After two games against two of the better teams in D-III he had the worst game of his hockey career against Geneseo, allowing 7 goals in a 7-6 loss. I recall him say "Man, I don't think I ever allowed 7 goals ever". Even though I was afraid he might ride the bench, coach went back to him on his next schedule start and he responded with his first career shutout of New England College. But the roller coaster came back in his next start in a 3-2 loss to Fredonia. May not sound bad, but the game winning goal came from center ice. All though I will point out that the linesmen missed that the play was off-sides, nevertheless the goal counted. He came back to beat Hobart at the famed Geneva Recreation Arena when his team was outplayed for much of the night. He then beat RIT at the Ritter, one of 2 victories over RIT (which I am still reminded of to this day) and secured the number 1 spot on his team and never let it go. He racked the awards during his career 1st Team All-Conference Goaltender and Freshman of the year in Conference. 2nd Team All-Conference Junior Year. 1st Team All-Conference Senior Year. 2006-2007 All-American and a National Championship win, while setting the record for most saves in a National Championship game.

    Now I have no idea if Drackett or Andriano will go on to such a career. Point is don't be surprise if a Freshman Goaltender has a bit of a roller coaster ride.
    I can't speak for everyone on here, but I believe none of us are going to write off a Freshman over one bad game.
    It's just that we may have to ride the coaster for a while, which means the team may not get out of the doldrums right away.
    We just need to hope the coaster goes on an upward trend and that that game doesn't become typical for the guy. The NU start definitely showed his potential, which is encouraging. We know he's capable as long as he learns and grows and doesn't let the bad games get into his head, he'll probably do just fine.
    Unfortunately, the fan base is pretty anxious for the Tigers to get back into a contender role that any sign that we may potentially not have that championship level goaltending for the next few seasons can be nerve wracking. And some of us "older" fans may have been spoiled in the past with goalies that come in and make an impact immediately when their number was called (Morris, Euvermann, Guimond, DeMichiel, Madolora,....). Lately that hasn't necessarily been the case. Ruby and Rotolo were good, even very good at times, but not to the consistently dominating degree from the beginning as many of their predecessors.
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

  10. #90
    Crazy season this is
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    9,686

    Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

    There is a TON of hockey to be played. The conference season hasn't even started. Two of the teams RIT played were preseason ranked, so it's not like they played weak teams. I think the team will be up and down for a bit this year in goaltending given the inexperience and there may be games the offense will need to win the game for RIT.

    We should see some great wins, but will probably be some tough losses. Just have to enjoy the ride.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

    Member of the infamous Corner Crew

  11. #91
    R!!!!...I!!!!!...T!!!!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    1,790

    Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

    Quote Originally Posted by komey1 View Post
    There is a TON of hockey to be played. The conference season hasn't even started. Two of the teams RIT played were preseason ranked, so it's not like they played weak teams.
    That's true. I wasn't so much concerned about the W's and L's. I was mostly commenting on how RIT played, regardless of the opponent. They could have played much better and gone 0-3 against those teams (except maybe RPI). If that had happened, at least we'd me more encouraged for the conference schedule. The soft goals, lazy / stupid penalties, and third period fatigue can and will happen against anybody.
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

  12. #92
    Crazy season this is
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    9,686

    Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

    I would say we fans got excited because they did play a good game against Northeastern and got a point, but then followed it up with clunkers against Union and RPI.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

    Member of the infamous Corner Crew

  13. #93
    New York Maritime '85
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    /Earth/North America/USA/New York/West Point/Tate Rink
    Posts
    542

    Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
    That's true. I wasn't so much concerned about the W's and L's. I was mostly commenting on how RIT played, regardless of the opponent. They could have played much better and gone 0-3 against those teams (except maybe RPI). If that had happened, at least we'd me more encouraged for the conference schedule. The soft goals, lazy / stupid penalties, and third period fatigue can and will happen against anybody.
    This. I was pleased with the team after the NU game, I was at the game and told my son that I thought RIT would lose the game by about a 6-3 final score. Halfway through the second I told him that if we kept NU off the scoreboard for the rest of the second that maybe we could steal the game. I must of jinxed them, they gave up a goal before the second ended and we know the game ended at 3-3. Still, I was very pleased as an RIT fan. Going into the weekend against the ECAC teams I thought that the games might be an early measuring stick about how this RIT team is shaping up prior to the start of league play. We remember last years visit to the Capital District and losing two games to these same two teams, I was able to be in Troy for the RPI game. Maybe a little payback I was thinking and hoping for? Well it wasn't to be with these two, maybe we will get them back on our schedule again soon in the coming years.

    So here we are coming into the the first weekend of league play against Army not really knowing what we have with this years RIT team. RIT has a tremendous record against Army and I know that Army has tremendous respect for RIT, but I'm not feeling overly confident and would be pleased with a split on the road.
    RPI Engineers
    RIT Tigers
    ARMY Black Knights

  14. #94
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Portsmouth, NH
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
    This. I was pleased with the team after the NU game, I was at the game and told my son that I thought RIT would lose the game by about a 6-3 final score. Halfway through the second I told him that if we kept NU off the scoreboard for the rest of the second that maybe we could steal the game. I must of jinxed them, they gave up a goal before the second ended and we know the game ended at 3-3. Still, I was very pleased as an RIT fan. Going into the weekend against the ECAC teams I thought that the games might be an early measuring stick about how this RIT team is shaping up prior to the start of league play. We remember last years visit to the Capital District and losing two games to these same two teams, I was able to be in Troy for the RPI game. Maybe a little payback I was thinking and hoping for? Well it wasn't to be with these two, maybe we will get them back on our schedule again soon in the coming years.

    So here we are coming into the the first weekend of league play against Army not really knowing what we have with this years RIT team. RIT has a tremendous record against Army and I know that Army has tremendous respect for RIT, but I'm not feeling overly confident and would be pleased with a split on the road.
    I think the Tigers take 2, maybe 3 points this weekend unless you jinx them again! 😅

  15. #95
    New York Maritime '85
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    /Earth/North America/USA/New York/West Point/Tate Rink
    Posts
    542

    Wink Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer777 View Post
    I think the Tigers take 2, maybe 3 points this weekend unless you jinx them again! 😅
    I hope not! My seats are pretty close to the visitors bench...
    RPI Engineers
    RIT Tigers
    ARMY Black Knights

  16. #96
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17

    Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

    I've been hearing John DiTulio do advertisements on the radio that the RIT Mens games (home and away) will be broadcast on AM 1280 this year. Are they no longer being carried on WITR, or is this just a simulcast of WITR's feed? Or, is it a totally different on-air team covering the games?

  17. #97
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    4,474
    Quote Originally Posted by joew74 View Post
    I've been hearing John DiTulio do advertisements on the radio that the RIT Mens games (home and away) will be broadcast on AM 1280 this year. Are they no longer being carried on WITR, or is this just a simulcast of WITR's feed? Or, is it a totally different on-air team covering the games?
    Simulcast.

  18. #98
    Lt. J. Isaac Powers, Starfleet
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Final Frontier
    Posts
    2,377

    Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

    Quote Originally Posted by joew74 View Post
    I've been hearing John DiTulio do advertisements on the radio that the RIT Mens games (home and away) will be broadcast on AM 1280 this year. Are they no longer being carried on WITR, or is this just a simulcast of WITR's feed? Or, is it a totally different on-air team covering the games?
    As far as I can tell, WHTK is now part of the RIT Tigers Sports Network, which means the radio broadcast now makes use of the media timeouts and can't complain that they're called "media" timeouts instead of "TV" timeouts. =)


    Powers &8^]

  19. #99
    Crazy season this is
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    9,686

    Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer777 View Post
    I think the Tigers take 2, maybe 3 points this weekend unless you jinx them again! ��
    I would be happy with 2 points at this stage - anything more would be gravy. Army is always tough at Tate Rink and they are one of the better teams in the league.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

    Member of the infamous Corner Crew

  20. #100
    All it takes is two to be a network Ed Trefzger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    2,501

    Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

    Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    As far as I can tell, WHTK is now part of the RIT Tigers Sports Network, which means the radio broadcast now makes use of the media timeouts and can't complain that they're called "media" timeouts instead of "TV" timeouts. =)


    Powers &8^]
    Exactly. We’re still getting used to the loss of time to chitchat. Those timeouts were also reduced to 1:00 from 2:00 this season.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •