Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
    We've lost something that packed the Ritter.
    Powers &8^]
    Although attendance has been down a bit, it's never been that great relative to the size of the GPC to begin with. It's not surprising that as the teams fortunes dip, so will attendance. However, most, if not all, of the GPC crowds are significantly larger than the Ritter can even hold. At the end of Ritter's time, the crowds were dipping to consistently less than sellout levels because of the quality of the team itself. So the attendance is still greatly improved since then.
    What needs to be done is to find a way to make the GPC a bit more like the Ritter relative to it being an uncomfortable place for opponents to play in. I have no idea what the solution is aside from getting about 3 times as many students in the building on a regular basis and somehow magically make the seating bowl steeper and closer to the ice. I was probably one of many who suggested in our post-season survey from the GPC a couple seasons ago that more general admission was needed for students, but then they added GA seats behind the Tigers' goal. I was proposing adding more GA to extend the section around the opponents' goal and let students sit in GA closer to and at center ice, especially on the bench side (where TV cameras can see - like Duke does with basketball). That could intensify the atmosphere in there as well as make it look from TV like there are actually people there. When you watch the broadcast, it looks like a library in there. Of course that would only help if more students attended. Lower the student ticket prices even more and make them free occasionally (giveaways at various campus events, maybe) and try to do whatever you can to get them in the house with a host of sections set aside just for them. Let the "wealthy" alumni that can afford center ice reserved seats to sit on the penalty box side of center ice.
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by komey1 View Post
      Are you suggesting that other teams are consistently getting better players than RIT?
      One would think enough suggestion is provided by results. :/

Comment

• Originally posted by Schmitty View Post
        If someone has a lot of time maybe a highly unscientific correlation of teams performance versus the number of USHL and BCHL players on the roster can be looked at.

Then look at the other teams in AHC as the scholarship numbers increase.

Not trying to diminish the players from other leagues but I’ve always thought that the USHL and the BCHL were the two premier junior leagues where D1 schools looked for their top talent.
        RPI Engineers
        RIT Tigers
        ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by Schmitty View Post
          This year's seniors had 2 NCAA tournament bids and 1 NCAA tournament win.
          The juniors had 1 NCAA tournament bid

The core of our defensemen were upperclassmen, and the defense was the worst part of the team. Most of our freshman did not put into prime spots aside from goalie - and that was because there was no clear favorite. That is still the case as all 3 have eligibility for the upcoming season. Dupois got time as a starter and was solid. Willett got into that spot and was pretty good. Let's judge them after 3 or 4 years.
          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2010 Frozen Four participant
          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by Schmitty View Post
            Double posted, ignore this
            Sorry, I can't look away from this quote!

“I sense great vulnerability. A man-child crying out for love. An innocent orphan in the post-modern world.”
            “I see a parasite. A sexually depraved miscreant who is seeking only to gratify his basest and most immediate urges.”
            “His struggle is man's struggle. He lifts my spirit.”
            “He is a loathsome, offensive brute. Yet I can’t look away.”
            “He transcends time and space.”
            “He sickens me.”
            “I love it.”
            “Me too.”
            RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              One huge mistake in this article.

Union CHOSE to not give scholarships out. They were part of the grandfather rule put in place when the rule to not allow schools with single sports playing up to give scholarships out was passed.
              The grandfather rule actually did precede Union's move. They, like RIT, had to make a choice to move either to D-I or D-III when D-II was ended the first time in 1983. There was some disappointment around campus when RIT moved to D-III, but that's the path a lot of schools took, and that's when D-III actually became as good as D-II had been. (I had thought as you did but was corrected by the AD on this point and have verified the info as correct.) Union made the move 8 years later.

The issue of scholarships was revisited again in 2004 under proposal 65, which would have stripped the scholarships away, but the 400-some-odd D-III schools voted to keep them grandfathered.

The argument RIT makes is that now that nobody else will be allowed to play up -- RIT women were the last to make the move -- that everyone should be put on the same playing field. But it's D-III that needs to approve.

Three of the six NCAA D-I hockey commissioners have told me on various occasions that they would support allowing Union and RIT to offer scholarships, and that they would do so right away if hockey were allowed to have its own "federation" within the NCAA. That federation idea is one in which individual sports could set rules that pertain specifically to that sport with more autonomy.

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                If someone has a lot of time maybe a highly unscientific correlation of teams performance versus the number of USHL and BCHL players on the roster can be looked at.

Then look at the other teams in AHC as the scholarship numbers increase.

Not trying to diminish the players from other leagues but I’ve always thought that the USHL and the BCHL were the two premier junior leagues where D1 schools looked for their top talent.
                Not getting recent recruits from these leagues, especially the USHL I think has been huge
                RIT Tigers
                Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
                Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                  The grandfather rule actually did precede Union's move. They, like RIT, had to make a choice to move either to D-I or D-III when D-II was ended the first time in 1983. There was some disappointment around campus when RIT moved to D-III, but that's the path a lot of schools took, and that's when D-III actually became as good as D-II had been. (I had thought as you did but was corrected by the AD on this point and have verified the info as correct.) Union made the move 8 years later.

The issue of scholarships was revisited again in 2004 under proposal 65, which would have stripped the scholarships away but the 400-some-odd D-III schools voted to keep them grandfathered.
                  This is what I'm talking about. Union had the opportunity to provide scholarships after this particular ruling (it was kind of a reset of the grandfather timing). They chose not to. Not only that, they were against the this proposal in the first place.

At least that is the way I understood and remember it. Apparently, assuming you asked the AD the proper question, the grandfather timing did not get reset. Is that what you are saying?
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

The grandfather timing was 1983, but Union didn't go D-I until 1991, so they missed the opportunity. They didn't choose by not accepting the ability to be grandfathered; they chose by not going D-I at the deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by cplinford View Post
                      Not getting recent recruits from these leagues, especially the USHL I think has been huge
                      For a recent point of reference, Garbowsky came from the BCHL. Scored 133 points in 107 games in the league. McGowan had 135 points in 117 games. I guess it's no surprise the MGM line went off.

2017-18 Tigers from the USHL or BCHL:
                      - Jake Hamacher (F)
                      - Myles Powell (F)
                      - Christian Short (G)
                      - Adam Brubacher (D)
                      - Dan Willett (D)

None of these guys scored at a pace anywhere near Garbo/McGowan. Closest is Powell who had one season with 59pts in 58 games, but the two years prior he was well below point per game pace. Willett was a minus player over his 5 year, 4 team USHL career, totaling -25 in 266 games.

The rest of the team breaks down as:
                      OJHL: 5
                      AJHL:8
                      SJHL: 3
                      CCHL: 3
                      NAHL: 2
                      MJHL: 1

One could argue that outside of maybe Powell and Brubacher the current group of USHL/BCHL players is not overly impressive. Even Powell and Brubacher are above average Tigers, but pretty solidly league average players. This years leading scorer Erik Brown came from the CCHL. His linemates both came from the OJHL.
                      Last edited by RIT Winters; 03-07-2018, 09:21 AM.
                      RIT

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                        Although attendance has been down a bit, it's never been that great relative to the size of the GPC to begin with. It's not surprising that as the teams fortunes dip, so will attendance. However, most, if not all, of the GPC crowds are significantly larger than the Ritter can even hold. At the end of Ritter's time, the crowds were dipping to consistently less than sellout levels because of the quality of the team itself. So the attendance is still greatly improved since then.
                        What needs to be done is to find a way to make the GPC a bit more like the Ritter relative to it being an uncomfortable place for opponents to play in. I have no idea what the solution is aside from getting about 3 times as many students in the building on a regular basis and somehow magically make the seating bowl steeper and closer to the ice. I was probably one of many who suggested in our post-season survey from the GPC a couple seasons ago that more general admission was needed for students, but then they added GA seats behind the Tigers' goal. I was proposing adding more GA to extend the section around the opponents' goal and let students sit in GA closer to and at center ice, especially on the bench side (where TV cameras can see - like Duke does with basketball). That could intensify the atmosphere in there as well as make it look from TV like there are actually people there. When you watch the broadcast, it looks like a library in there. Of course that would only help if more students attended. Lower the student ticket prices even more and make them free occasionally (giveaways at various campus events, maybe) and try to do whatever you can to get them in the house with a host of sections set aside just for them. Let the "wealthy" alumni that can afford center ice reserved seats to sit on the penalty box side of center ice.
                        The penalty box side is the side visible on camera. All those club seats look empty because a lot of people are up in the club lounge drinking. I'm not sure how you could extend the GA seating into that area.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                          The grandfather timing was 1983, but Union didn't go D-I until 1991, so they missed the opportunity. They didn't choose by not accepting the ability to be grandfathered; they chose by not going D-I at the deadline.
                          I got that part.

In 2004, I thought the new proposal reset the grandfather date. Are you saying that's not true? It just kept the currently grandfathered teams as is?
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Not every player from those leagues is "elite" but just a quick glance through the rosters on collegehockeystats.net seemed like the number of players from these leagues has been decreasing for us. Couldn't tell easily before 2012-2013 (they don't list the league with team name) but this has just been inkling of mine. Our recruiting pattern seems to be changing the last couple of years. Looks like 2014-2015 frozen four team had around 16 players from USHL/BCHL
                            Last edited by cplinford; 03-07-2018, 10:06 AM.
                            RIT Tigers
                            Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                            Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
                            Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

• Originally posted by cplinford View Post
                              Not every player from those leagues is "elite" but just a quick glance through the rosters on collegehockeystats.net seemed like the number of players from these leagues has been decreasing for us. Couldn't tell easily before 2012-2013 (they don't list the league with team name) but this has just been inkling of mine. Our recruiting pattern seems to be changing the last couple of years. Looks like 2014-2015 frozen four team had around 16 players from USHL/BCHL
                              Yes I’ve noticed the same. Again unscientific but like many on here I would like to see a few more BCHL and USHL signings.

In other news while looking up some of our incoming freshman at elite prospects I brought up this years team to look at recent transactions and see that Chase Norrish has signed with the Colorado Eagles and will be reunited with the Eagles Captain Matt Garbowsky.
                              RPI Engineers
                              RIT Tigers
                              ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                                Yes I’ve noticed the same. Again unscientific but like many on here I would like to see a few more BCHL and USHL signings.

In other news while looking up some of our incoming freshman at elite prospects I brought up this years team to look at recent transactions and see that Chase Norrish has signed with the Colorado Eagles and will be reunited with the Eagles Captain Matt Garbowsky.
                                Moving on up to the AHL next year too, presuming Garbowsky's contract doesn't expire over the summer; it's with the Eagles organization and as such transfers leagues if I'm not mistaken. Western Conference team, so I look forward to driving the hour and a half to Milwaukee to see them play.

Was Norrish an ATO or was it for more?

Comment

Working...
                                X