Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

There's a new sheet of ice in the barn, the air is crisp and pucks are flying again! It's time to pounce on opportunities and start the trip that ends at the Blue Cross Arena in the spring
    RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Soo... Who was everybody's favorite goalie of the night?
    RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

I don't know about goalies but I did see a lot that I liked, in general. A few things that stood out to me: Seiferling's got a nice outlet pass, Willett's got a quick shot from the point. Mikowski is looking really good this year - seems like he gained some speed. Logan looked good on the PK.

Comment

Hello friends, question- will Saturday's game against NU be streamable? I can't find any information regarding a stream on the RIT website, and NU won't put out a press release until tomorrow or Thursday.
        "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

So I have a rules-related question from Saturday's game. The empty net goal near the end was disallowed because the whistle was blown on account of the scrum in RIT's end, well behind the play. I'm not debating the whistle, because I definitely heard it blow before the puck was even shot (the whistle was what drew my attention to the scuffle in the first place, as I was following the puck). My question is, should the ref have whistled the play dead while RIT was on a breakaway, since the penalty was against Brock, or should this have been a delayed penalty call? Fortunately this didn't affect the outcome (and RIT soon scored a goal anyway!), but if the referee was correct in stopping play, this seems like a pretty cheap way to prevent an empty net goal.

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
            Hello friends, question- will Saturday's game against NU be streamable? I can't find any information regarding a stream on the RIT website, and NU won't put out a press release until tomorrow or Thursday.
            Should be streamed (for $$) here: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/atlantichockey/
            Not sure there is a free stream. Last year someone on the RIT reddit page streamed the local television feed I believe, but that channel was recently shutdown by Spectrum and RIT hasn't officially announced a new TV channel or anything yet.
            Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
            College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
            Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
            Men's Frozen Four 2010
            Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
            Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
              Should be streamed (for $$) here: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/atlantichockey/
              Not sure there is a free stream. Last year someone on the RIT reddit page streamed the local television feed I believe, but that channel was recently shutdown by Spectrum and RIT hasn't officially announced a new TV channel or anything yet.
              Thank you. If it costs money I will probably split it with another NU person, so it won't be as much. Thanks for sharing!
              "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by joew74 View Post
                So I have a rules-related question from Saturday's game. The empty net goal near the end was disallowed because the whistle was blown on account of the scrum in RIT's end, well behind the play. I'm not debating the whistle, because I definitely heard it blow before the puck was even shot (the whistle was what drew my attention to the scuffle in the first place, as I was following the puck). My question is, should the ref have whistled the play dead while RIT was on a breakaway, since the penalty was against Brock, or should this have been a delayed penalty call? Fortunately this didn't affect the outcome (and RIT soon scored a goal anyway!), but if the referee was correct in stopping play, this seems like a pretty cheap way to prevent an empty net goal.
                Here's the deal: If the infraction(s) committed were only by player(s) of the team not in possession, then it would have been a delayed penalty or penalties and the empty net goal would have been allowed. But you say there was a scrum, which means that a player or players of the non-offending team (RIT) apparently retaliated or otherwise became involved. The play is dead at the instant a referee decides that penalties will be assessed to players of each team.
                Last edited by Split-N; 10-10-2017, 09:14 AM.
                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                  Here's the deal: If the infraction(s) committed were only by player(s) of the team not in possession, then it would have been a delayed penalty or penalties and the empty net goal would have been allowed. But you say there was a scrum, which means that a player or players of the non-offending team (RIT) apparently retaliated or otherwise became involved. The play is dead at the instant a referee decides that penalties will be assessed to players of each team.
                  What you say makes perfect sense. The reason I asked my question (which I probably didn't make clear), is that the score sheet only shows a penalty against Brock on that sequence. If there had also been coincidental minors against two other players, would those have shown up on the score sheet? That's the only reason I can think of that penalties would have been assessed to both teams.

Comment

What you say makes perfect sense. The reason I asked my question (which I probably didn't make clear), is that the score sheet only shows a penalty against Brock on that sequence. If there had also been coincidental minors against two other players, would those have shown up on the score sheet? That's the only reason I can think of that penalties would have been assessed to both teams.
                    That's a bit surprising. But in most cases involving scrums, the two referees, and possibly at least one linesman, will confer before assessing penalties and what might have started as coincidentals in the mind of one ref becomes something non-coincidental. I'm guessing here that the visiting player was the instigator and everything else evened out, so they decided to penalize only the instigation. It comes down to referee's discretion but that approach isn't all that unusual for scrums that happen at the end of a game so long as no majors or DQs are involved.
                    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by sammich824 View Post
                      I don't know about goalies but I did see a lot that I liked, in general. A few things that stood out to me: Seiferling's got a nice outlet pass, Willett's got a quick shot from the point. Mikowski is looking really good this year - seems like he gained some speed. Logan looked good on the PK.
                      Mikowski was scratched on Saturday, was he not? I know they announced him as one. Was he in the game and I completely didn't notice?
                      Can't we all just get along?
                      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                        Soo... Who was everybody's favorite goalie of the night?
                        Short - limited action - looked ok
                        Drackett - limited action - looked ok - handled the puck confidently
                        Andriano - Saw a flurry of shots and generally looked pretty darn good - Did let in a softie, though.

Glimpses of good play. Sample sizes too small. At least we didn't see anything alarming from any of the three.

The rest of the team as usual showed some really positive things, but again continued to show a lack of finish. Brock's goalie was good, but not spectacular. The Tiger shooters let him off the hook, IMHO. That game should have been a bit more in RIT's favor through the first two periods.
                        Can't we all just get along?
                        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

If both players, or the player who's team in control of the puck commits a penalty then the ref is suppose to blow the play dead. I happen to be standing in the tunnel behind the RIT goal when that happen. The altercation caught my eye and did not seem like it warranted a whistle. And no penalties were called against RIT, so yeah some one messed up. I think if this game had been a league contest you would have seen a much more angry RIT coaching staff. I was just glad that a certain referee was out there for a exhibition and not a game that counted...

My thoughts on the exhibition...

Was concern at the beginning as there was all to familiar sloppiness in the beginning that reminded me of last season. Especially in and around the RIT net. Brock really should have took an early lead more than once. As the game went on that got cleaned up and I was general happy with RIT's gap control and defensive coverage. It did lapse a little in the third but Andriano impressed. Yes he did let in a softie but what I really like was his reaction. He just kind of shook his head and then refocused. As did the team which is a very good sign. What hurt last year just as much if not more than the injuries was how this team hurt themselves by getting caught in the moment. I loved the way both Norrish brothers played, they looked like they had a chip on their shoulders but played under control. Brady did get a Roughing call that I thought was a little weak as he got jumped after the play. Was typical poor AHA control of game where they just decided to take two players. I would have liked to seen a few more guys play that way.

They played well, like to see a few more Grade A scoring chances. However with Abt and Valenzuela out of the line and a lot of Freshmen just being thrown into many situation to see how they do, I thought everything went about as well as can be expected. They need someone to join Powell in putting the puck in the net. Lots of Candidates though and I think Wayne is going to need to tinker with the forward lines to find the right combo!

I'm guessing Short will get the start at Blue Cross. Experience and Wayne saying he has had a great camp leads me to believe he will get the nod and the Freshmen will split next weekend. Like to see that play out before I form more of a comment on the goaltenders. Will say I like what I see from all of them so far...
                          Last edited by Tom Naeger; 10-11-2017, 09:15 AM.
                          Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                          The Mule
                          Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Looks like all home games will be streamed for free?! I like this... https://***********/rit_sportszone/s...46654271832064
                            Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                            College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                            Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
                            Men's Frozen Four 2010
                            Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                            Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Mikowski didn't play Saturday but he did play in the orange and white game. Same with Valenzuela.

Comment

Working...
                              X