Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
    One hopes the team is not thinking about this, otherwise, all is lost before they even begin.

They need to get the lead and keep it!
    I honestly don't know what to expect tonight....I wouldn't be any more surprised by a blowout win than I would by a blowout loss...guess it depends what team shows up and if the message from the RIT leadership both on the ice and in the locker room resonates with the boys and they can kick it into another gear for the entire game. As a fan trying to get a pulse on this particular team this year has been particularly frustrating. Hoping for big games from all the usual suspects.
    RPI Engineers
    RIT Tigers
    ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
      The defense was again suspect last night, especially giving up a terrible breakaway right as Rocky finished announcing RIT's goal.
      That was bad, but the other two regulation goals were weird inadvertent deflections, and the winning breakaway only happened because Brubaker didn't realize his stick was broken.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Some quick thoughts on the 3 game series this weekend.

I think RIT had more talent and it carried them at times, but Sacred Heart made it up with hustle. Hustle beats talent.
        RIT was a step slow on transitions all weekend. It was like it took them an extra second or two to process what happen when the puck was turned over at the blue line. Each time it allowed Sacred Heart to attack them with odd man rushes.

Defense lapse for RIT was stunning all weekend. We had guys taking Sunday skates or watching and point to the open guy instead of helping.
        For the life of me I do not understand the decision to shorten the bench in OT for Game 2. Brown was double shifted into the ground and was dead in the second OT. The third line got themselves in trouble more than once. And I just do not get why the last place team in the league can roll 4 lines and you cannot? Was Sacred Heart that much deeper?? Only thing I can figure was it was decide that if you lose a game you had the lead going into the last minute of the third then you had no chance to win the series. And the way they played in Game 3 there does appear to be some wisdom in that…

Final thoughts for the season.

This team has earn the stigma that comes with losing to the last place team in the playoffs two years in a row. There inconsistent play all season earned that for them.

My final Grades for the Year…

Forwards, A-, like the rest of their team lapses at time, but the rate they put the puck in the net was impressive. Brown deserves serious consideration for AHA Player of the year.

Defensemen, D, for Disappointing. Soft all year, lots of sophomore slumps and upper classmen made too many outrageous mistakes this season. This was supposed to be the strongest unit on the team and it turned out to be arguable the biggest liability.

Goaltending, C-, hard to really grade with how poor the Defense was at times. But certainly too many soft goals. As I harped on all season a better plan is needed to manage and evaluate goaltenders

Freshman Class, B+. Yet another class with a couple nice Gems in it. They need to grow now, something that hasn’t been going well for the Tigers last two seasons.

Coaching, I am not going to offer a grade, but as much as I think the team has earned a stigma and a chip on the shoulder. I think the coaching staff does as well and struggled this season. Goaltending situation is what it is, I’ve made my suggestions and will just move on. I do think they more or less held together a very fragile room this season and did prevent a complete disaster from happening. Yet still struggle to get this team filled with talent to play inspired, smart, hardworking hockey on a consistent base. Very frustrating and I think there was even some small moments of the frustration boiling over this season. Will say that I am glad I am not an NCAA Hockey coach.

I would post the team's save percentage on the whiteboard with a note that this has to change. A Message for the entire team!

Well thanks everyone for putting up with me for another season...
        Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
        The Mule
        Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
          A loss and we'll have been drummed out by the last place team two straight seasons..
          Yup....how quick the mighty have fallen.... waiting to hear the radio guys interview coach...also have to give a hat tip to the Sacred Heart goalie.
          Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 03-04-2018, 08:27 PM.
          RPI Engineers
          RIT Tigers
          ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
            Yup....how quick the mighty have fallen....
            Our home ice advantage is gone. Absolutely kaput. No team has ever had reason to fear playing at the Polisseni Center, not since day one. We gained some wonderful amenities but in exchange we lost nearly everything that made the Ritter a fearsome place to play.

Losing the series after winning Game 1 in dramatic fashion is inexcusable, though I do cut them some slack for Game 2 because of the way SHU's goals came. But the team is soft, with no grit, no passion, no resiliency -- even though they look like they're playing hard and never give up no matter the game situation. It's enigmatic; it'd be no wonder if the coaches can't figure them out either.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
              Yup....how quick the mighty have fallen.... waiting to hear the radio guys interview coach...also have to give a hat tip to the Sacred Heart goalie.
              Hard to believe this graduating class won 2 straight AHC titles...from best to worst in one class.
              RIT

Comment

• Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                Wilson pretty much said it all.
                RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Only four more years

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                    Wilson pretty much said it all.
                    I'm concerned that there is a little bit too much using injuries as a scapegoat for consistency and performance issues. If his big takeaway is "Well we were down 1.5 Norrish's most of the season" then that is hardly a blueprint for future success. The Norrish twins are gone now, along with Abt who was probably the 3rd best D behind them. Hopefully the freshman D are really good because it's hard to have faith in the current returning group of D.

In net, I guess we have to hope that getting a combined 28 games in as freshmen will help Drackett and/or Andriano take their game to the next level as sophmores. If not it's going to be a long season...again.
                    RIT

Comment

Originally posted by Schmitty View Post
                      Only four more years
                      Until...?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                        Our home ice advantage is gone. Absolutely kaput. No team has ever had reason to fear playing at the Polisseni Center, not since day one. We gained some wonderful amenities but in exchange we lost nearly everything that made the Ritter a fearsome place to play.
                        Home ice advantage, or lack there of, is a bit more nuanced that what you have implied. It actually started to fade the last two seasons at Ritter Arena, got better for one year at GPC, and then has been consistently poor the last three seasons:

2011-12 Ritter Arena 11-3-6
                        2012-13 Ritter Arena 7-8-2
                        2013-14 Ritter Arena 6-9-2
                        2014-15 GPC 10-6-3
                        2015-16 GPC 5-8-3
                        2016-17 GPC 6-13-1
                        2017-18 GPC 6-13-1
                        Scott Biggar
                        WITR - Voice of the RIT Tigers
                        Staff Writer - US College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                          But the team is soft, with no grit, no passion, no resiliency
                          This.
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

If I had to assign grades, I'm probably pretty close to Tom.

MY biggest takeaway from looking at the stats is that the team rating based on collegehockeystats.net was -11 in spite of the fact that RIT outshot opponents by 137. Combine that with a -2 goal differential between power play goals scored and power play goals allowed, and this looks bad.

Forwards - I go B+ on this. The Brown/Valenzuela/Girduckis line had 47 goals and all 3 are back. This should be one of the most potent lines in AHC next year. However, they were also a combined -28. I know they weren't always on the same line, but that can't happen for RIT to get back to the next level.

Defensemen - D is the right call here. So many mistakes and to me, outside of Brubacker and Abt, very little offensive production. It seemed to me that they didn't want to shoot at times. I expect that Brubacker/McKay will be the top pair for better or worse.

Goaltending - D. While the defense was rough in front of them, You can't have your best save percentage on the team be .883 with the way the game is played today. There is considerable room for improvement, especially for Drackett and Andriano being freshmen. That being said, it's probably hard to play this position when you feel like one bad game costs you your starting position.

Freshmen - B. There are some good players, but there is clearly room for improvement and they need to develop. I would rate Dupois the best of the freshmen. He got time with the top lines and was solid on offence and defense. The goaltending should get better.

Coaching - C. I'm putting a grade out there. I get that injuries are part of it. But if there was a plan for the goaltending it went out the window early and to me, no hierarchy seems to hurt. The penalty kill was a mess all season. But to me, what sets it off is the tailspin that the team had in the second half and the fact that the team went 4-7 against the bottom 4 teams in the conference.
                            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2010 Frozen Four participant
                            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

• Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                              Until...?

Powers &8^]
                              Someone’s contract doesn’t get renewed and he goes to fail elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmitty View Post
                                Someone’s contract doesn’t get renewed and he goes to fail elsewhere.
                                I'm not sure I buy it. The school isn't pretending it is a hockey powerhouse and Munson's focus thus far has been on increasing the success of the D3 programs. I doubt at that level there is much concern about the state of the program. I think Wayne has the leash to stay here until he's ready to go elseware...and best believe if he hit the open market he would be highly coveted. He has an impressive resume.

That said, I would not hate a change of pace....as long as we don't promote from within RIT. I would be mortified of the women's coach failing up.
                                RIT

Comment

Working...
                                X