Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
    Free??
    ha ha ha ha... oh wait... you were serious?
    RIT gives out nothing for free.

Actually, they do that for one game each year and it gets pretty crowded in the GA sections. The reserved seats are still sparsely populated, though. So it still looks empty on TV.
    Back in the Ritter days they used to give out free tickets to any student who brought a canned good to a collection point in the tunnels. That effectively meant you could buy a dollar can of soup with your food debit and get a ticket to the game, which was a good deal.

Seems like a win-win to me, fills up the building (still makes RIT money in concessions) and provides food to those in need.

So of course they discontinued it.
    RIT

Comment

Myles released from ATO with Amerks
      Matt with 1G and 1A with Nailers
      Chase with 3A with Eagles

Lots of Alum in ECHL doing well.
      RPI Engineers
      RIT Tigers
      ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
        Back in the Ritter days they used to give out free tickets to any student who brought a canned good to a collection point in the tunnels. That effectively meant you could buy a dollar can of soup with your food debit and get a ticket to the game, which was a good deal.

Seems like a win-win to me, fills up the building (still makes RIT money in concessions) and provides food to those in need.

So of course they discontinued it.
        Athletics ran things at Ritter while RIT Arenas sets policy for Polisseni.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
          Athletics ran things at Ritter while RIT Arenas sets policy for Polisseni.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          It's hard to ask a student who is heavily in debt from going to your school to pay for a ticket to go to a hockey game. Have the Greater Rochester Area foot the bill for paying ticket prices.
          R I T HOCKEY
          Frozen Four
          Elite Eight
          NCAA Tournament
          2010-2015-2016
          RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

>>(still makes RIT money in concessions)

This is a very good point. With the increased concession offerings (compared to what was available at the Ritter), plus the gift shop, and now the beer garden too, RIT could be doing a lot more to get more bodies in the door through free/reduced price tickets, promotions, giveaways, etc, and then make up for it by getting them to spend their money in the arena. They may already be doing some of this, but I don't know how well it's promoted. Case in point, I went to a game with my daughters this season on the spur of the moment. I planned on buying walk-up general admission tickets, but the girl at the ticket counter told me that they were running a special for alumni that night and reserved seats were the same price as general admission. So, I obviously went with the reserved seats, and had a little more money to buy my girls snacks (their main motivation for going to the game, but hey, it gets me out of the house and watching hockey!!!).

Another factor that RIT should be leveraging in terms of getting community members coming to the games is the free parking. I don't know what it costs to park at an Amerks game, but I'm guessing in the neighborhood of $10 or so, based on other events I've gone to at the BCA. Again, this is a little extra money in a fan's pocket, hopefully to be spent in the arena.

Comment

Can't remember exactly, but seem to remember talk of a slim potential of an at-large bid if they had lost in the AHA Finals. They were around the bubble, but I don't think high enough to assume an at-large.
              I don't think they were that close, especially since they were awful out of conference during the regular season, and the conference wasn't yet even holding its own in non-conference games (no Robert Morris or Niagara yet, either) If I had to guess I'd say they were around 20 or 21 even with the win in the championship game, and a lost to Sacred Heart would have dropped them another handful of places. They were the 15th overall seed in the tournament because last place Alabama-Huntsville won the CHA tournament in that conference's final year, allowing RIT to avoid the #1 overall seed. Any of the other 3 CHA teams would have been ranked ahead of RIT, IIRC (Be.

Unfortunately there's nowhere to look up old PWR data, it seems. The thread from that year seems pretty sure that we would not make it or even be all that close with a loss at BCA though.

EDIT: I found it. RIT was 25th in RPI in 2009-10. Ahead of both Niagara and Robert Morris though. https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ra...eason=20092010
              Last edited by jflory81; 03-28-2018, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
                It's hard to ask a student who is heavily in debt from going to your school to pay for a ticket to go to a hockey game. Have the Greater Rochester Area foot the bill for paying ticket prices.
                That's all well and good, but you'd have to get "the Greater Rochester Area" to actually go to a game first. Nobody outside of the RIT community cares, it seems.
                Can't we all just get along?
                Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
                  I don't think they were that close, especially since they were awful out of conference during the regular season, and the conference wasn't yet even holding its own in non-conference games (no Robert Morris or Niagara yet, either) If I had to guess I'd say they were around 20 or 21 even with the win in the championship game, and a lost to Sacred Heart would have dropped them another handful of places. They were the 15th overall seed in the tournament because last place Alabama-Huntsville won the CHA tournament in that conference's final year, allowing RIT to avoid the #1 overall seed. Any of the other 3 CHA teams would have been ranked ahead of RIT, IIRC (Be.

Unfortunately there's nowhere to look up old PWR data, it seems. The thread from that year seems pretty sure that we would not make it or even be all that close with a loss at BCA though.

EDIT: I found it. RIT was 25th in RPI in 2009-10. Ahead of both Niagara and Robert Morris though. https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ra...eason=20092010
                  Actually, Denver was the #1 overall. They didn't work very hard to protect the # 1 back then, and since DU would have had to fly to any of the four regionals, they thought it was no big deal to send them all the way to Albany to play the # 15 seed, since it was just an AHA team anyhow. Whoops!
                  Can't we all just get along?
                  Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Actually, Denver was the #1 overall. They didn't work very hard to protect the # 1 back then, and since DU would have had to fly to any of the four regionals, they thought it was no big deal to send them all the way to Albany to play the # 15 seed, since it was just an AHA team anyhow. Whoops!
                    No they weren't. They were going into the conference tournaments but lost it when they didn't win their tourney. It's literally right in the link in the post you quoted that Miami of Ohio was #1 by Pairwise (and RPI itself, for that matter).

There would be no reason whatsoever to send Denver to Albany to play RIT while having Miami(OH) stay closer to home and play the #16 overall (and 40 something in PWR) Alabama-Huntsville.

There were still complaints that Denver was not protected as the #1 seed in the regional, but that doesn't mean they were #1 overall.
                    Last edited by jflory81; 03-29-2018, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                      Back in the Ritter days they used to give out free tickets to any student who brought a canned good to a collection point in the tunnels. That effectively meant you could buy a dollar can of soup with your food debit and get a ticket to the game, which was a good deal...
                      “The Boy” (’22) confirmed that this was indeed offered this year, for all games except the playoffs. Bring a non-perishable food item to some office (Cannot recall the organization... maybe RHA??) in the tunnel between Gleason & Gracies (yes ol’ timers... there is a tunnel connecting to Gracies now) and get a free GA ticket. There were a limited number of these available (not sure how many), so you had to get there early to get a free ticket.

Cheers!!!
                      ~TTF
                      Dave
                      RIT - '90

Comment

Myles Powell signs an ATO with the Cincinnati Cyclones of the ECHL.
                        RPI Engineers
                        RIT Tigers
                        ARMY Black Knights

Comment

I haven't been on here in a long time. Has RIT announces any future out of conference games for the future season(s)?

Comment

Originally posted by dpdc77 View Post
                            I haven't been on here in a long time. Has RIT announces any future out of conference games for the future season(s)?
                            I posted details from the radio on February 2: http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...=1#post6597186

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                              I posted details from the radio on February 2: http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...=1#post6597186

Powers &8^]
                              There's one pair of games to add in 2019-2020: UMass-Lowell at RIT for two. When we first listed the games, we weren't clear on the fact that the Icebreaker games do not count against your total, so RIT will get 36 NCAA games that season.

Comment

Recruiting is the key. Getting very difficult to ask players/parents to pay $200k plus to play hockey. Soon the tuition cost will out weight the desire to play D1 hockey. I believe we are seeing a small taste of it now. When Sacred Heart comes into the GP, has more determination, grit and desire to win then the home team. That's a problem, a big one.

High tuition costs, Lowest league in Division 1 , 2 losing seasons with 1st round home playoff loses....Game day environment at GP-Friendly and fun for visiting team......at Ritter-Intimidating, threatening and an advantage.

A lot of money goes into the program....if there is not a change in wins.... then there needs to be some sort of a change else where.....

Going back to D3 should not be an option....Something with cost of attending the school, scholarship, endowment $ towards finacial aid which player does not have to pay back (Union does this), different league.......

Comment

Working...
                                X