Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
    That would be a terrible mistake. He might as well kill hockey if that happens. I would seriously consider not going to as many games if they do that.
    And we think the arena looks empty now.
    I'm pretty sure it wouldn't "kill" hockey. As you know very well (that maybe some of the younger crowd doesn't recall), RIT had a pretty well established DIII program that drew very well, relatively speaking. There may be a transition period where the fans have to either get over their grief at the loss of the bells and whistles of being a DI program or else embrace the program as-is and go back to enjoying what many of us thoroughly enjoyed for decades before the DI move. It's not the same, but it was a lot of fun....and... they would go back to having a legitimate shot at contending for national titles on occasion - something the DI team can't say.

At least tickets would be cheaper... one would hope.

All that being said, I still don't foresee that happening any time soon.
    Unless of course, Dr. Munson is still bitter about and wants revenge for the time RIT went into Yost and upset his Wolverines.
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Saw this article on Facebook about former Captain Chris Haltigan and his battles with cancer, and how playing hockey helped him: http://www.rit.edu/news/story.php?id=66069

While we may not often have players make it to the NHL, I am glad to see former players starting careers related to the fields they studied at RIT. This article mentions 3 former Tigers who studied biomedical sciences and went to med school after graduating to become doctors - Haltigan in an OB-GYN, Trevor Eckenswiller in Emergency Medicine, and Riley Clark.
      Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
      College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
      Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
      Men's Frozen Four 2010
      Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
      Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        Personally, I don't use it as an argument, I just use it as one of those fascinating facts...

But to get to your point, people should be careful what they ask for. Let's suppose RIT goes D1 across the board. Let's suppose when they do, they actually put together a decent BB team, good enough to maybe grab an AQ in a mid-major conference. What happens then? Does the publicity of a BB team in March Madness even if they never win the first round exceed that of a hockey team which traditionally has been the sport at RIT, even a very competitive hockey team after they start giving scholarships out?

Could be. Especially with the casual local sports fan who only pays attention when March Madness rolls around. Then, suddenly, that traditional hockey team isn't so traditional anymore...

What happens if the lacrosse team starts to seriously contend for a national D1 title -- very likely in this area where great lacrosse recruits are never more than a couple of hours away? Does the potential for a national title supersede the excitement of a traditional good but not great hockey team? Again, could be.
        You are not really serious are you? There are far too many good hockey programs out there in the Big Ten, Hockey East, and NCHA that just debunk that argument. Even if RIT would to get a D-I team that say like UB wins a conference title every now and then, and even finally wins an NCAA Tournament game, it's not going to kill the hockey program. That is just ridiculous...

Almost as much as talk of taking the program back to D3. That is a reckless comment, if you really did have access to such inside information you should be smart enough to know that this is not the place to post such information...
        Last edited by Tom Naeger; 03-20-2018, 04:29 PM.
        Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
        The Mule
        Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
          You are not really serious are you? There are far too many good hockey programs out there in the Big Ten, Hockey East, and NCHA that just debunk that argument. Even if RIT would to get a D-I team that say like UB wins a conference title every now and then, and even finally wins an NCAA Tournament game, it's not going to kill the hockey program. That is just ridiculous...
          Overshadow. Not kill.

Reading comprehension my friend. It goes a long ways...
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Overshadow. Not kill.

Reading comprehension my friend. It goes a long ways...
            Overshadow or kill I don't care what adjective you use I still think it's silly. Am I suppose to root against all other RIT sports because I don't want any other sport to be as popular or worst even more popular than hockey. That sounds beyond childish.

And Russ, RIT just finished a playoff series that saw average attendance was 1,259. That 841 below the 2,100 they had about every game at the Ritter. I mean right now it doesn't take much over a shadow to overshadow them. Think they need to be more concern about trying to grow not worry about what might happen if they do grow...

Everyone, you need to just take a break and think about something else other than hockey. There been lows for the message board, but in 19 seasons, this is by far the lowest. RIT fans on here are embarrassing themselves...
            Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
            The Mule
            Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
              RIT fans on here are embarrassing themselves...
              Bit harsh Tom. Fans are entitled to their opinions. The season ended in disappointment, just like last year. Fans have a right to speculate why after back to back championships the team has fallen flat the last two seasons. Injuries, puck luck, player talent, coaching decisions, administrative support, it all seems to be on the table to chew on. I haven’t been around here a long time as I started following the Tigers during their frozen four run, I’m not an alumnus, and in that time I’ve seen the Tigers have more success than the majority of the teams in Atlantic Hockey with the exception of Air Force. Don’t think anybody is embarrassing themselves, just stating their opinions. These are the same guys that plunk down their money to go to the games, or in my case, come up for the Brick City every year. I’m looking forward to next year, I think they are a little butt hurt and will be motivated to return to the BCA. I guess that’s my opinion.
              Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 03-20-2018, 08:55 PM.
              RPI Engineers
              RIT Tigers
              ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Overshadow or kill I don't care what adjective you use I still think it's silly. Am I suppose to root against all other RIT sports because I don't want any other sport to be as popular or worst even more popular than hockey. That sounds beyond childish.

And Russ, RIT just finished a playoff series that saw average attendance was 1,259. That 841 below the 2,100 they had about every game at the Ritter. I mean right now it doesn't take much over a shadow to overshadow them. Think they need to be more concern about trying to grow not worry about what might happen if they do grow...

Everyone, you need to just take a break and think about something else other than hockey. There been lows for the message board, but in 19 seasons, this is by far the lowest. RIT fans on here are embarrassing themselves...
                Thanks, Dad.
                RIT

Comment

I'm not saying you have to do anything. All I'm saying is to those who want the entire RIT athletic department to move up to D1, it may result in hockey no longer be the king of the campus. I'm implying Nothing more, nothing less.
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I'm not saying you have to do anything. All I'm saying is to those who want the entire RIT athletic department to move up to D1, it may result in hockey no longer be the king of the campus. I'm implying Nothing more, nothing less.
                    Don't worry. Most of us understood exactly what you were getting at.
                    But then again, we're all out embarrassing ourselves, so maybe our opinions aren't worth reading... except by someone who is a regular participant in exactly that behavior year-round. Hmmm.
                    Can't we all just get along?
                    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      And the GPC would become a white elephant.
                      If the Power 5 schools decreed that D1 championships are for D1 schools only, then the Liberty League schools would have a big decision to make.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I am still devastated that Bill Destler was succeeded by a such an underwhelming character like David Munson. That being said...with RIT hitting a wall with scholarships are they still trying aggressively to move conferences?
                        R I T HOCKEY
                        Frozen Four
                        Elite Eight
                        NCAA Tournament
                        2010-2015-2016
                        RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          If the Power 5 schools decreed that D1 championships are for D1 schools only, then the Liberty League schools would have a big decision to make.
                          If you also include Colorado College (D-III) and the 15 schools that are D-II, you'd be down to 39 programs and eight or 10 NCAA bids.

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
                            I am still devastated that Bill Destler was succeeded by a such an underwhelming character like David Munson.
                            Yup.

That being said...with RIT hitting a wall with scholarships are they still trying aggressively to move conferences?
                            I'm sure the athletics department is keeping their ears to the ground and doing what they can. But again, without the support at the top I'm not sure anything substantial will happen. Once famed for the amount of support it got, the hockey program might be looking at a new era of administrative indifference.

But hey, the baseball team made the playoffs or something.
                            RIT

Comment

Without the support from the top - I don't see much chance for improving conferences. I just hope things like the recruiting budget gets trimmed.
                              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2010 Frozen Four participant
                              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                                If you also include Colorado College (D-III) and the 15 schools that are D-II, you'd be down to 39 programs and eight or 10 NCAA bids.
                                Well yeah. Nobody said the Power 5 were smart.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X