Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

I have had the chance to talk with the three eastern commissioners about this over the past year, and all three want to stick with 5-min OT and ties, so I wouldn't expect Atlantic Hockey to make the change.

Comment

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
      See, I'm hoping Atlantic Hockey sticks with ties. I don't mind games ending in ties at all. In fact, I despise the shootout for determining a "winner." - I don't understand why after playing 65 minutes of a team sport, the game gets decided in a 1 on 1 skills contest.
      Whether or not you like the shootout, an additional 5 minutes of 3v3 OT would absolutely be an exciting and worthwhile change over the current system with it's extreme abundance of ties. Hockey isn't soccer, ties don't exist in any other meaningful level of hockey, it's a bad look for it to exist in NCAA.
      RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
        Whether or not you like the shootout, an additional 5 minutes of 3v3 OT would absolutely be an exciting and worthwhile change over the current system with it's extreme abundance of ties. Hockey isn't soccer, ties don't exist in any other meaningful level of hockey, it's a bad look for it to exist in NCAA.
        I don't find 3v3 all that exciting even at the NHL level. At the college level it just doesn't seem appropriate. It's almost a completely different game.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
          I don't find 3v3 all that exciting even at the NHL level. At the college level it just doesn't seem appropriate. It's almost a completely different game.

Powers &8^]
          A 5 minute OT in which both sides pack it in generally happy to earn the tie rather than risk the loss (at least in the first half of the season) is far less exciting. Ties are literally the least satisfying, least exciting finish you can have. 3v3 leads to lots of exciting offensive opportunities and the chance to see some highlight reel saves.....well, at least from the other team's goalies.
          RIT

Comment

A 5 minute OT in which both sides pack it in generally happy to earn the tie rather than risk the loss (at least in the first half of the season) is far less exciting. Ties are literally the least satisfying, least exciting finish you can have. 3v3 leads to lots of exciting offensive opportunities and the chance to see some highlight reel saves.....well, at least from the other team's goalies.

If Atlantic Hockey goes to a shootout or 3v3 second OT period then the league would have to consider a 3 points per game system like the big ten. Regulation tie ends with each team getting a point the extra time is for the extra point once the game gets to the 3v3 or the shootout. Not a fan!

However, the current 5 v 5 ot has been boring. Pack it in for 5 minutes and don't lose the game.
            Last edited by Hockeyplayer82; 07-30-2018, 09:24 PM.

Comment

This seems to have slipped through under the radar. Presser about the new players joining the team.

http://www.ritathletics.com/news/201...announced.aspx
              Scott Biggar
              WITR - Voice of the RIT Tigers
              Staff Writer - US College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Biggar View Post
                This seems to have slipped through under the radar. Presser about the new players joining the team.

http://www.ritathletics.com/news/201...announced.aspx
                With the way the last line is written in the article, it's no wonder it fell through the cracks...
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                  With the way the last line is written in the article, it's no wonder it fell through the cracks...
                  Matches the title of this thread.

Comment

Ties are literally the least satisfying, least exciting finish you can have.
                    If both teams played well then it's a lot more satisfying than losing, even in 3v3.

3v3 leads to lots of exciting offensive opportunities and the chance to see some highlight reel saves.....
                    Yeah at the pro level. But it's a different game than 5v5, and I'm not convinced the level of play in Atlantic Hockey is conducive to good 3v3 play.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                      Matches the title of this thread.
                      Well....in my defense, I was drinking that night or really hung over the morning I created it!
                      RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

• Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                        Well....in my defense, I was drinking that night or really hung over the morning I created it!
                        I knew at some point you were going to chime in on Ed’s comment. 😀 I guess at some point someone will need to start a new thread before the new season starts. I say Ed starts the new thread. 👍
                        RPI Engineers
                        RIT Tigers
                        ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                          I knew at some point you were going to chime in on Ed’s comment. 😀 I guess at some point someone will need to start a new thread before the new season starts. I say Ed starts the new thread. 👍
                          Yes please, I'm sharpening my barbs this weekend in anticipation!
                          RIT Tigers

Comment

Anyone have any insight on when the Brick City tickets will go on sale? The Brick City website lists the game and the prices but no link to purchase. The regular RIT Men’s Hockey ticket site doesn’t list the Colgate game.. So I’m resigned to just check the Brick City site each day. Pretty much the same as every year since they went to assigned seats after the Penn State game a few years back. Probably won’t be a sell out anyway but I also don’t want to sit way up high. Eyes ain’t what they used to be. 😀
                            RPI Engineers
                            RIT Tigers
                            ARMY Black Knights

Comment

• Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                              Probably won’t be a sell out anyway but I also don’t want to sit way up high. Eyes ain’t what they used to be. 😀
                              You are a perfect candidate for an AHA official. If you have slow puck dropping skills and are able to get in the way of play at random times, you're a lock. 🙂
                              RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                                Anyone have any insight on when the Brick City tickets will go on sale? The Brick City website lists the game and the prices but no link to purchase. The regular RIT Men’s Hockey ticket site doesn’t list the Colgate game.. So I’m resigned to just check the Brick City site each day. Pretty much the same as every year since they went to assigned seats after the Penn State game a few years back. Probably won’t be a sell out anyway but I also don’t want to sit way up high. Eyes ain’t what they used to be. 😀
                                Last year they just activated the link without any notice that I was aware of, I just happen to check the Brick City site for info about another event and saw their was an active link to purchase Hockey tickets. So lets have everyone's back and check every now and then and post it up when they open the link. Not that they can't be trusted...

By the way, I'll soon be posting up my annual summer project of getting all AHA recruits on one spreadsheet with more stats and info than our buddy Heisenberg generally puts down. More than halfway done and I am really liking what I see on this years incoming class. On paper they look similar to the 2015 class, perhaps even better...

The 2015 class:

Austin Wright-F
                                Gabriel Valenzuela-RC
                                Mark Logan-LW
                                Abbott Girduckis-Rw
                                Erik Brown-LW
                                Liam Kerins-C
                                Christian Short-G
                                Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                                The Mule
                                Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Working...
                                X