St. Lawrence Skating Saints '17-'18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Lawrence Skating Saints '17-'18

Someone had to start this thread especially since I refuse to go to that Facebook group which is a bigger trainwreck than our team is right now. Big, slow, dumb and undisciplined...this has the making of a very long season for the Skating Saints. Hope they prove me wrong but it looks like Coach Morris' idea of blowing the program up and building it his own way might be a long process.
    Mr. Hoot Owl says, "Scary isn't it ?!? You never know!!!"

Re: St. Lawrence Skating Saints '17-'18

Originally posted by GoldenBear View Post
    Someone had to start this thread especially since I refuse to go to that Facebook group which is a bigger trainwreck than our team is right now. Big, slow, dumb and undisciplined...this has the making of a very long season for the Skating Saints. Hope they prove me wrong but it looks like Coach Morris' idea of blowing the program up and building it his own way might be a long process.
    Well I have to say I enjoy the Facebook group for what it is. But........I imagine to some extent it is what life is like in a communist country. Censorship happens (sometimes) and I have always tried to be honest with what I see...... but I have to say even I feel I've been too negative at times. When Greg left........it took the wind out of my sails and you could have brought in Mike Babcock and I'd still probably be complaining as I thought we had the perfect marriage for a Joe Marsh like tenure.
    The other issue I have is it's one thing to delete a thread or comment.....but most of the time unless your all lollipops and rainbows.......expect to get slammed.

While I am a long way from Canton........I like to think I have a good "feel" for hockey and the program. I've been a long time supporter both in presence at away games and used to take the occasional trip up to Canton.

I completely agree with you Golden Bear. It looks like the goal has to get bigger (without necessarily getting faster). Tougher. More sandpaper. I have to say if they were all like Number 11 that would be one thing. I too hope they prove you wrong (and me.) Some of our recruits came in with some good press reviews. (Hanson, Gleekel, Nielsen and Stevens)........but, some of the late signings I read or heard nothing about. Every scouting report I read on Suthers had him highly ranked when he was younger but his stock kept dropping almost each year he advanced through the ranks. He appears to have a decent set of hands but so far he seems easy to knock off the puck.

I don't know for certain........but I am guessing this schedule was largely set up under Greg Carvel's guidance some years ago. (Maybe not.) But had all the recruits we had coming last year matriculated. These games would be legitimate tune ups for the regular season and to get the team NCAA battle ready. Now like you say it seems like it will be a survival test and I don't think 20 losses is out of the question given the first weekend look. The coaching staff and players have a lot of hard work to put in as last night showed a lot of holes and even a lack of desire. Work ethic shouldn't be a question but last night we were outclassed for much of the first three periods and only seemed to wake up a bit at the end.

The dump and chase and two icings on the PP were horrific examples. Lord knows Morris has as much or more coaching experience than most anyone. I just hope he finds a way where he can connect with the players to get something productive done because we've not seen that yet. Last season was a big disappointment as with more talent (the injuries killed us) we should have been an NCAA team.
    SLU

Comment

Looking forward to taking my son up to Appleton Arena tonight. I've been dying to take him for years! I loved the rink since the first time I was there what now feels like 100 years ago now. Stupid question but on what end do the Saints shoot twice? I did try the Goggle machine and checked for seating charts but I got nowhere. Thanks and good luck tonight (but not too much luck)

Comment

Crit...Do you suppose Morris had anything to do with Payton's departure ?
        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

The far end opposite the main entrance. Opponent goal is right in front of the zamboni doors for the 1st and 3rd periods. https://www.stubhub.com/st-lawrence-...sort=price+asc The end that is sections P-Q-R-A. Hope you and your son enjoy Appleton and the North Country trip!

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
            Hayton and his family have made it very clear in every way except directly saying it, that Hayton left because of Morris.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
              Golden Bear hit the nail on the head.

IMO we've had a big culture shock and change when Carvel left and Morris came in. Two very different coaches. Very different personalities.

I am pretty sure Kyle Hayton had/has aspirations of playing pro hockey beyond college. I don't know the specifics, but either Morris burst that bubble....or didn't offer the proper support and attention/encouragement/devlopment........ but that along with a combination of things is why he left. And I'll say this for all those naysayers out there in Saints land who live inside a bubble. It wasn't easy for that kid to leave. He had to bust his butt to take a heavy course load and work all summer just to graduate and transfer as a grad student. So i'd say his motivation was pretty high to leave. I think others would have too if they had had an easy out but for underclassmen that opportunity isn't there without sitting for a year. Morris also cleaned house and got rid of a few players he didn't think could contribute (in spite of scholarships). I think things won't settle until the team is totally comprised of Morris recruits.

Whenever you have a coaching change things are going to be different. Also..........although I have loved our team, SLU, the institution and campus for years; I do believe things are going on there aside from the coaching change that have not made things conducive for recruiting and keeping players. If you wanted to develop your game year round to go to the next level and they took the ice up shortly after the season ends what does that tell you??? I think SLU like many liberal arts institutions is watching their pennies and when that translates into actions it impacts players in ways people just don't understand.

Shabby you may or may not have heard but SLU just received some money to do a study on how to bring Appleton up to snuff while retaining it's old time charm. it will be interesting to see how that plays out and what recommendations they come up with. I hear rumors Morris has been angling for a whole new barn. In these times I don't think that flies but we'll see what happens.

Your new place is gorgeous by the way. I got to visit last year when SLU played down there and for the first time I didn't freeze watching a game at Colgate!!!!
              SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                Golden Bear hit the nail on the head.

IMO we've had a big culture shock and change when Carvel left and Morris came in. Two very different coaches. Very different personalities.

I am pretty sure Kyle Hayton had/has aspirations of playing pro hockey beyond college. I don't know the specifics, but either Morris burst that bubble....or didn't offer the proper support and attention/encouragement/devlopment........ but that along with a combination of things is why he left. And I'll say this for all those naysayers out there in Saints land who live inside a bubble. It wasn't easy for that kid to leave. He had to bust his butt to take a heavy course load and work all summer just to graduate and transfer as a grad student. So i'd say his motivation was pretty high to leave. I think others would have too if they had had an easy out but for underclassmen that opportunity isn't there without sitting for a year. Morris also cleaned house and got rid of a few players he didn't think could contribute (in spite of scholarships). I think things won't settle until the team is totally comprised of Morris recruits.

Whenever you have a coaching change things are going to be different. Also..........although I have loved our team, SLU, the institution and campus for years; I do believe things are going on there aside from the coaching change that have not made things conducive for recruiting and keeping players. If you wanted to develop your game year round to go to the next level and they took the ice up shortly after the season ends what does that tell you??? I think SLU like many liberal arts institutions is watching their pennies and when that translates into actions it impacts players in ways people just don't understand.

Shabby you may or may not have heard but SLU just received some money to do a study on how to bring Appleton up to snuff while retaining it's old time charm. it will be interesting to see how that plays out and what recommendations they come up with. I hear rumors Morris has been angling for a whole new barn. In these times I don't think that flies but we'll see what happens.

Your new place is gorgeous by the way. I got to visit last year when SLU played down there and for the first time I didn't freeze watching a game at Colgate!!!!
                MM coached the last game at Walker and the 1st game at Cheel. Cheel was built b/c it was perceived that we were losing recruiting battles when PSAs compared bandbox Walker with some of the newer venues that had more bells and whistles.

Walker was packed. Cheel isn't. Be careful. Be very careful.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  MM coached the last game at Walker and the 1st game at Cheel. Cheel was built b/c it was perceived that we were losing recruiting battles when PSAs compared bandbox Walker with some of the newer venues that had more bells and whistles.

Walker was packed. Cheel isn't. Be careful. Be very careful.
                  Joe.........don't remember the family but someone just gave SLU some money to do an architectural study on how to improve and update Appleton while keeping the traditional feel of the place. Actually I just looked and here is the link. The study is also supposed to look at how to upgrade everything around the program including the video feeds and such. Tonight I tried watching and the feed was so herky jerky and our play so poor that I shut it off. Our goaltending was awful tonight. We will likely start the ECAC season 0-8.

Having said all that..........the present vibe I get from people who know the Administration/Trustee's etc. seems to indicate that we are in the midst of an austerity period as are most other Liberal Arts colleges. In fact.......were we not; I'm pretty sure Carvey would still be the coach. Our league changed dramatically with the entrance of Quinnipiac. With their budget, and that facility.......they can out recruit everyone in the ECAC save maybe Harvard and Yale who have a cachet that Q Pac will never have. I don't think you'll see a new rink in Canton. At best you'll see a renovation/upgrade but even that will be hard to fund. This study is one thing. Getting the money in place to do the upgrades will be another.

http://www.stlawu.edu/giving/news/gi...appleton-arena
                  SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                    Joe.........don't remember the family but someone just gave SLU some money to do an architectural study on how to improve and update Appleton while keeping the traditional feel of the place. Actually I just looked and here is the link. The study is also supposed to look at how to upgrade everything around the program including the video feeds and such. Tonight I tried watching and the feed was so herky jerky and our play so poor that I shut it off. Our goaltending was awful tonight. We will likely start the ECAC season 0-8.

Having said all that..........the present vibe I get from people who know the Administration/Trustee's etc. seems to indicate that we are in the midst of an austerity period as are most other Liberal Arts colleges. In fact.......were we not; I'm pretty sure Carvey would still be the coach. Our league changed dramatically with the entrance of Quinnipiac. With their budget, and that facility.......they can out recruit everyone in the ECAC save maybe Harvard and Yale who have a cachet that Q Pac will never have. I don't think you'll see a new rink in Canton. At best you'll see a renovation/upgrade but even that will be hard to fund. This study is one thing. Getting the money in place to do the upgrades will be another.

http://www.stlawu.edu/giving/news/gi...appleton-arena
                    Raise the roof 15-20' and put a press box in That Would enable better views??
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

- Only qualified* team without a win or a tie.
                      - Worst qualified* team in offense.
                      - 4th worst qualified* team in defense.

*Ivy league yet to begin play.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                        - Only qualified* team without a win or a tie.
                        - Worst qualified* team in offense.
                        - 4th worst qualified* team in defense.

*Ivy league yet to begin play.
                        Well..........it's not like our schedule has been exactly easy. But.....I haven't seen (especially lately) much hope of keeping the puck out of the net and other than the "Jason Wearing a Halloween Mask" twin goalie performance against PC (and I'm including the PC goalie in that discussion).........we've shown no sign of any offense. Some of our best forwards seem to disappear on the ice......I don't know if it's we have so few offensive ones that the other team key's on them and shuts them down??? We are giving up the SOFTEST of goals.

I do see some talent in some of the 8 freshman playing....but we all know whose fault it is that we need to be playing 8 freshman. I originally predicted (with this OOC schedule) 20 losses. I'm thinking that might not be enough.

I wonder if Kyle will have to fight to get the goaltender job back? Wisconsin pitched a shutout last night and the goalie only had to face 11 shots. I'm sure Granato will let him play at least one game against us. Maybe they'll hold us to under 10 shots!!!! I mean 11 SOG is not much at all. We see that against us in a period. And.......our neighbors up the road sure look good.
                        SLU

Comment

I agree with a lot of that, Mike (as we've discussed elsewhere).

I'm not sure Kyle "lost" his job, necessarily. Obviously haven't watched the games, but given that UW seemed to be getting outplayed/outshot in most games (IIRC), I'd guess he wasn't getting a ton of help. Maybe some of the Badger posters can chime in here to confirm/deny.

Comment

A few things here, the Saints as posted before are in a transition stage with a new HC. They lost a few kids when Carvel left. The whole Hayton situation is a toss up from what I have heard. I do know from speaking with a few current players, they love playing for Coach Morris. Also someone who I know quite well has told me Coach Morris is not the same Coach when left Clarkson. Even the record may not reflect that I have faith he will turn it around. I'm more concerned with league play and not having Joecct bust our chops.
                            LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Raise the roof 15-20' and put a press box in That Would enable better views??
                              I think that is viable......we'll see what the study shows. Apparently raising the roof would help as it is apparently leaking right now!!

I think the other issue is how long construction would take to do something like that? My guess would be that if the renovations do get a green light at some point......do you think they could do those kind of renovations and not have to play elsewhere for a season?? It's hard to fathom being able to get anything major done (like raising a roof) and get it all done in one off season. Time will tell. Frankly I think the study will come back and not have anything as extensive as raising the roof. I think major structural changes (unless they are additions....would be very expensive and difficult. Be curious to see what happens with the study.
                              SLU

Comment

Working...
                              X