Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post
    Feed was great in first period, now I just get freezing and occasional commercials appearing.
    Yea something got screwed up but it was fixed by the late 2nd. Pretty sure that it had something to do with the audio (which as Minny fans you most likely didn't even listen to as our radio guys are homers).
    This is a new old beginning for Michigan hockey.

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post
    I read the nut stand is no longer operating and now this big loss. Must be a tough year for you.
    I had not noticed....but I will be.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

Vote Bullwinkle J. Moose For President in 2016

Must have missed the rule change that made a hit to the head not a penalty......

Quote Originally Posted by UMICH View Post
    Yea something got screwed up but it was fixed by the late 2nd. Pretty sure that it had something to do with the audio (which as Minny fans you most likely didn't even listen to as our radio guys are homers).
    They were homers but it wasn't unexpected on that type of broadcast and I've heard much worse. Even the Gophers home radio guys are homers while the TV crew on FSN is a bit more neutral.

Well this weekend the Gophers did their best to change the definition of "the worst lead in hockey" to 3 goals. It now seems so inevitable that once they get to +3 the other team starts mounting their comeback.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Well this weekend the Gophers did their best to change the definition of "the worst lead in hockey" to 3 goals. It now seems so inevitable that once they get to +3 the other team starts mounting their comeback.
    They even stretched that definition a bit to a 4 G lead last night!

Schierhorn did not look good. He was down too low in his stance at times, exposed the upper corners and Mich took advantage all weekend. He let in a couple soft ones last night in the 3rd. Gopher offense setup better than Friday, but still too much perimeter play for my liking. As in Friday's game, Gopher defense seemed to struggle again late clearing the zone. Next lesson for practice sessions: How to hold a lead and close teams out.

Highlight for me was the SHOOTOUT GOAL by Sheehy (Pitlick's was nice too). Nice head fakes and a wicked corner shot.

Quote Originally Posted by d2d View Post
    well this weekend the gophers did their best to change the definition of "the worst lead in hockey" to 3 goals. It now seems so inevitable that once they get to +3 the other team starts mounting their comeback.
    :d
    This is a new old beginning for Michigan hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    It is the worse lead in hockey. Been saying it for years. Teams take the foot off the peddle. Gophers proved my point splendidly this weekend

Think some the guys are getting better. Great games by Romanko and Lindgren. Mittelstadt seemed a bit out of sorts. He'll put it together soon enough.
    Go Gophers!

Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Think some the guys are getting better. Great games by Romanko and Lindgren. Mittelstadt seemed a bit out of sorts. He'll put it together soon enough.
    Romanko is the best two-way player on the roster, and has had some amazing chances to score. But yeah, Mittelstadt did not have a good series. He won only 5/21 FOs on Saturday, and for the weekend he had only 4 SOG (2 blks, 1 wide, and 1 on net). We could use more goal production from him.

Quote Originally Posted by icehawk View Post
    It is the worse lead in hockey. Been saying it for years. Teams take the foot off the peddle. Gophers proved my point splendidly this weekend
    Historically, I thought the consensus has been 2-0 is the worst lead in hockey? ARTICLE

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    Historically, I thought the consensus has been 2-0 is the worst lead in hockey? ARTICLE
    True but the Gophers are doing their best to change that. When they get up 2-0 they will probably score again to make it 3-0. It's at that point when you need to start being concerned.

Did anyone hear the Big Ten announcer state after Mn scored their 6th goal "that might be enough to put Michigan away" Where do they find these guys? I once saw a Gophers game against Nodak when Mn scored 2 empty net goals and the 2nd one turned out to be the game winner.

Romanko is the best two-way player on the roster, and has had some amazing chances to score.
    Yeah he's been solid imo and has improved quite a bit. He might not be an elite playmaker or shooter but he can definitely lug the puck through the neutral zone and is better at breaking it out than quite a few more talented players on the roster it seems. Pretty much what you want out of a 4th liner.

I have to wonder if CM is still a bit banged up. It didn't help that UMi took every chance they could (at least when watching) to hit and slash him. He'll have to learn to fight through that stuff and hopefully get stronger physically as the season goes forward.

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Yeah he's been solid imo and has improved quite a bit. He might not be an elite playmaker or shooter but he can definitely lug the puck through the neutral zone and is better at breaking it out than quite a few more talented players on the roster it seems. Pretty much what you want out of a 4th liner.
    The guy creates impressive scoring chances all the time, but he misses the net WAY too much. It's ridiculous. Hit the net and have a chance for a rebound.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    The guy creates impressive scoring chances all the time, but he misses the net WAY too much. It's ridiculous. Hit the net and have a chance for a rebound.
    That's the missing piece in his game. Like a raging bull, he gets its there the hard way, but finishing has not been his forte' yet and ol' puck luck has not been too kind either. But his work ethic is outstanding.

Freshmen just play better under calmer circumstances. CM, Reedy and McManus all have had great stretches in many of the home games. Its the tough play on the road where they disappear. A change in this department will lead to this team taking another step - hopefully in the second half.
    Go Gophers!

Breezin' thru some online newspapers and came to the Strib looking for Gopher hockey news. Lots of articles on Gopher basketball (both men and women) and football, but not one article on Gopher hockey?

I think they'd cover it more closely if more people were interested but right now that's just not the case.

Breezin' thru some online newspapers and came to the Strib looking for Gopher hockey news. Lots of articles on Gopher basketball (both men and women) and football, but not one article on Gopher hockey?
    The pattern now is for them to pen a short article on Friday morning, previewing that weekend's series, and then write a short-to-medium recap the morning following each game. As trix indicates they would cover the team more closely if more people showed they cared, as evidenced by better home attendance.

Thread Information