Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

SCSU has more NCAA tournament victories than the Gophers in the last five seasons, so the days of treating them as inferior are over. The issue is, they still act like the little sister so often it's hard...

If any of you guys like advanced stats I've been tracking Gopher Hockey games at the micro level to get some insight on their neutral zone play and will have passing stats eventually. My most recent post is about the early season trends and where they lie on the spectrum of NCAA teams from a stats perspective. The next post will go more into the stats I've tracked and how it relates to what we've been seeing.

Also I have a twitter for this if you have that and want to be updated when I post something (feel free to let me know of any other ways you'd like to be notified, if you're interested that is ): https://twitter.com/GopherStatBlog

https://gopherstatblog.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    If any of you guys like advanced stats I've been tracking Gopher Hockey games at the micro level to get some insight on their neutral zone play and will have passing stats eventually. My most recent post is about the early season trends and where they lie on the spectrum of NCAA teams from a stats perspective. The next post will go more into the stats I've tracked and how it relates to what we've been seeing.

Also I have a twitter for this if you have that and want to be updated when I post something (feel free to let me know of any other ways you'd like to be notified, if you're interested that is ): https://twitter.com/GopherStatBlog

https://gopherstatblog.wordpress.com/
    This is good stuff Trix. I teach stats at the university level and I think you've provided a fair assessment while acknowledging the potential for numerous confounds. It's always wise to consider the sensitivity of regression analysis to any inbuilt assumptions about the effects of confounds. Keep up the good work buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post
    The pohl's would say 'Yes'.

On the Poles, interesting to note one has Gophs at second, above UND and Denver? And I don't think anyone expected the star-studded recruiting BU to be this low. (Yeah, I know it's early, but we have to chat about something.)

So NMU is in the top 20. Can't remember how they were last year and don't know what their schedule has been like, but Putulny can't be doing too badly.
    With BU ranked as high as they were at the beginning of the season, I'm also surprised at the early BU death spiral. Not sure about Gophers at 2nd. Goes to show you it's a bit early to talk Poll-ish.

Congrats to Eric Schierhorn with his second straight Big Ten First Star of the Week and also named NCAA Third Star of the Week with the sweep over Michigan State. Schierhorn has only allowed a goal or less in each of the last four games as well as five of the last six (all five games were Gopher victories). - Gophersports.com

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    Congrats to Eric Schierhorn with his second straight Big Ten First Star of the Week and also named NCAA Third Star of the Week with the sweep over Michigan State. Schierhorn has only allowed a goal or less in each of the last four games as well as five of the last six (all five games were Gopher victories). - Gophersports.com
    The two awards were also highlighted in the Strib this morning. Eric is off to a fantastic start in his junior season.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Funny thing is that Eric's MSU series was not as good as his Clarkson series. And neither were anything compared to his outstanding Friday games against UND and UMD.
    Go Gophers!

This is good stuff Trix. I teach stats at the university level and I think you've provided a fair assessment while acknowledging the potential for numerous confounds. It's always wise to consider the sensitivity of regression analysis to any inbuilt assumptions about the effects of confounds. Keep up the good work buddy.
    Thanks man, it'll be interesting to see what some of these results in the end. I have stats on the other teams they play against too I just haven't compiled them all yet.
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 11-08-2017 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Funny thing is that Eric's MSU series was not as good as his Clarkson series. And neither were anything compared to his outstanding Friday games against UND and UMD.
    Yeah you're right, he carried the team on his back for the Clarkson series. Didn't see the UMD game, but the UND Friday game? Yeah...we were outshot x 2. Schierhorn bailed us out, but we blocked a boatload of shots too (29 vs. 6/UND). The team as a whole seemed to gel more during the Sparty series which is an good sign.

What do think about another sweep against the ugly helmets?

As far as I can tell they like to push the pace and it'll be interesting to see the Gophers' strategy against it.

As far as I can tell they like to push the pace and it'll be interesting to see the Gophers' strategy against it.
    Seems to me that the Gophers's style has become a little more "disciplined" this season, and are less of an "up and down" team as Michigan is traditionally known for. So yes, it should be interesting to see how the Gophers play it.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

So no TV for Friday? Is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post
    So no TV for Friday? Is that right?
    Correct. I believe Michigan's site has a stream though, the ol HDMI to TV is what I'll be doing.

Correct. I believe Michigan's site has a stream though, the ol HDMI to TV is what I'll be doing.
    How much is it? Checked their site and couldn't find anything.

Yeah you're right, he carried the team on his back for the Clarkson series. Didn't see the UMD game, but the UND Friday game? Yeah...we were outshot x 2. Schierhorn bailed us out, but we blocked a boatload of shots too (29 vs. 6/UND). The team as a whole seemed to gel more during the Sparty series which is an good sign.

What do think about another sweep against the ugly helmets?
    The gelling is going to seem evident when you come home after a series on the road and play in all probability a team that is a step down. But we didn't play down if sparty turns out to be a step down...which is a good sign in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Seems to me that the Gophers's style has become a little more "disciplined" this season, and are less of an "up and down" team as Michigan is traditionally known for. So yes, it should be interesting to see how the Gophers play it.
    That's the key. Michigan under Red (and still probably to a decent extent) has been a play style of super human individual efforts. The Gophers in the recent era match up well against that via our defensive integrated, 5 player, puck control offense. And many of our local opponents such as SCSU are not only honed to play against us, but it can be a bit more difficult to get up for them compared to their motivation to get up for us. When we go to Ann Arbor after last week's drubbing of the football team, it won't be difficult for the guys to get up for those games.

Normally you'd hope for a split in tough series on the road. I think we've got a split and will be looking for a sweep.
    Go Gophers!

Man...in 2017 you'd figure there would be a way to a stream of a major college sports event. Just visited the Michigan site and it says audio only.
    Go Gophers!

I don't see anywhere where it says audio only. It says for TV: MGOBLUETV and when you click "watch" it directs you here where there's a countdown: http://www.mgoblue.com/watch/?Live=163&type=Archive

I don't see anywhere where it says audio only. It says for TV: MGOBLUETV and when you click "watch" it directs you here where there's a countdown: http://www.mgoblue.com/watch/?Live=163&type=Archive
    Cool thank you. Funny on the general streaming page it says audio only...but when you go to the game summary it also has video.
    Go Gophers!

Yeah no prob, hopefully it works haha (don't thank me yet! ).

Clayton Phillips signed an NLI. Phillips is a Pittsburgh Penguins prospect. As a strong and smooth skater, and precise passer on the blue line, NHL projections are that since his move from forward to D, he's developing as an efficient offensive D and perhaps a PP QB one day for the Gophers.

Red always seemed to favor the speed game, but with added physicality from the D. IRCC a few years ago, a couple Gophers went down with knee injuries as a result of Mich. hits. My guess is Mel won't deviate much from Red's formula this weekend. Both teams will be looking to quickly get pucks deep and occupy.

So far the story has been as Schierhorn goes, so go the Gophers. If we can get the Sheehy line going, along with continued scoring from the 1st and the PP and Schierhorn is Schierhorn, my crystal ball says we might eek out a sweep on the road.

I've always enjoyed the pace of Mich/MN series. Go Gophers!

Thread Information