Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

Cool Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

I know it's only one game, but after last night the thread title has been adjusted. By comparison, Gophers had only 50% of the total shot attempts by UMD. CM had one PP shot, Pitlick had one 5x5 shot, Sheehy had one 5x5 shot (2/PP). Not a good start, but line chemistry is a funny thing and takes time. The D made some costly turnovers. Schierhorn looked good and kept us in the game or maybe UMD puts up 6-7.

Hope they're ready to play against Union.

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    I know it's only one game, but after last night the thread title has been adjusted. By comparison, Gophers had only 50% of the total shot attempts by UMD. CM had one PP shot, Pitlick had one 5x5 shot, Sheehy had one 5x5 shot (2/PP). Not a good start, but line chemistry is a funny thing and takes time. The D made some costly turnovers. Schierhorn looked good and kept us in the game or maybe UMD puts up 6-7.

Hope they're ready to play against Union.
    They are really missing Bischoff. Lots of dumps out of the zone, often times ending in icings, rather than passes. The whole team was out-hustled for most of the game. (I only make an occasional game and spending $80 for a couple tickets for that performance did not feel good.) And yeah, for all the talent on this team, the lines weren't clicking. goaltending was only bright spot, although the turn-around and fire without looking goal Anderson scored was a little frustrating (just caught inside of Schierhorns pad to be directed between his legs and in).

Gophers looked like they came ready to play with a 2-0 shutout of Union. I thought Sheehy would be the likely fit with CM and Rem, but I think I like the energy and physicality Reedy brings to that line too.

International Spy

Doesn't Don like to keep players together at least at the start who came up together? Reedy and Pilick both came out of Shattuck. So he's probably thinking they already have some chemistry. CM you can put anywhere and I think he'd be all right so why not with two guys that may already work together.

I don't know, maybe I'm over emphasizing how much Reedy and Pitlick have worked together.
    Last edited by Tiggsy; 10-09-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Dammit, Gorilla!!
    Hometown: Plymouth, MN Currently: Champlin, M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A

Need the green arrow for this thread. Thanks.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggsy View Post
    Doesn't Don like to keep players together at least at the start who came up together? Reedy and Pilick both came out of Shattuck. So he's probably thinking they already have some chemistry. CM you can put anywhere and I think he'd be all right so why not with two guys that may already work together.

I don't know, maybe I'm over emphasizing how much Reedy and Pitlick have worked together.
    Never played on the same team. I think he's just concerned about loading up the top line with the three best forwards. Same as last year... Just do it. Sheehy needs them.

For the arrow.

lucky penguin

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggsy View Post
    Yeah, they were never on the same team at the same time at Shattuck.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Eric Schierhorn, two-time Big Ten Goaltender of the Year, has made 77 consecutive starts in net for the Gophers and leads all active goalies in the statistic. He'll tie John Lothrop (1964-66) for the record on Friday and most likely set the school record at 79 consecutive starts on Sunday vs. Penn St.

Schierhorn has put up decent numbers with a 90.6 and 90.8 SV% his first two seasons. I thought he ran into rebound trouble too often last season though.

Can Gophers fans finally learn to love Big Ten hockey?

Jeff Jackson: “The conference is going to be extremely tight and extremely tough. It’s going to be like playing in Hockey East without the bottom five teams.”

http://www.startribune.com/will-toug...ten/450662743/
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Can Gophers fans finally learn to love Big Ten hockey?

Jeff Jackson: “The conference is going to be extremely tight and extremely tough. It’s going to be like playing in Hockey East without the bottom five teams.”

http://www.startribune.com/will-toug...ten/450662743/
    I've always thought of Jeff Jackson as a great coach and a class act. Having ND in the B1G adds a lot more competitiveness to the conference. However, I think it will take a while for some Gopher fans to "love" the Big Ten. As far as I'm concerned, I'm excited to see good conference battles this season. Thanks for the post D2D.

Penn St. tonight...I like the early start for B1G conference games this year.

Time to show the Nittaly Lions who's boss.

"Back to the drawing board"??? Can't remember a home game opener when the Gophers came out that flat. With a team this talented they had very little structure, positioning and scoring chances tonight. Did Jones even break a sweat in net?

Credit PSU, seemed like their game plan was flood the neutral and it worked perfect forcing the Gophers to play the walls far too much. They out hustled, out shot, and out played the Gophers for most of the game and capitalized on some stupid penalties by the Gophers (too many men, and CFB and game misconduct).

Right now this looks like a poorly coached team. Better get back to fundamentals and get a W on Sunday.

A big congratulations to Brannon McManus who netted his first three goals - a hat trick - in a Gopher uniform, leading the team to a 6-3 victory. I thought the team came out very energized, determined not to get swept on home ice against a very good Penn State squad. In addition to giving great effort they consistently made smart and skilled plays all over the ice, looking more like the team Gopher fans thought they could be. It was a lot of fun being there to witness it.

Saw only part of the game, but did catch McManus' third goal for the hatty. Pretty special moment to score your first goal and hat trick as Gopher in one game.

It's going to be long season with these announcers on FSN. Ben Clymer's tone and redundancy is getting tough to listen to. And to McLeod, how do you "ratchet" a puck?

Saw only part of the game, but did catch McManus' third goal for the hatty. Pretty special moment to score your first goal and hat trick as Gopher in one game.

It's going to be long season with these announcers on FSN. Ben Clymer's tone and redundancy is getting tough to listen to. And to McLeod, how do you "ratchet" a puck?
    Finally the Gophs seemed to put forth an effort closer to what we expected from this team, and with some big players out. Makes me feel a little better.

But then I remember that they have UND next, and I am gone. And because the only option is online, I can't DVR the games and watch them when I return!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Been looking forward to this series for quite awhile and all I'll be able to do is read about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Succks!

As for McCloud, I thought the days of him mistaking Bischoff for Bristedt (both ended with an 8) were over, but last night, he called Bristedt's name for someone (without an 8) even though Bridstedt was sitting out the game! Multiple times he used the wrong name. Seems he just fills in a name that comes to mind when he can't think of the actual name. I used to like him more but he seems to have gone down hill the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post
    I used to like him more but he seems to have gone down hill the last few years.
    Maybe he's caught some kind of a speech virus from having to work with Clymer the last few years.

I agree. these guys are tough to listen to. I never knew you could drizzle a puck.

Dammit, Gorilla!!
    Hometown: Plymouth, MN Currently: Champlin, M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A

As for McCloud, I thought the days of him mistaking Bischoff for Bristedt (both ended with an 8) were over, but last night, he called Bristedt's name for someone (without an 8) even though Bridstedt was sitting out the game! Multiple times he used the wrong name. Seems he just fills in a name that comes to mind when he can't think of the actual name. I used to like him more but he seems to have gone down hill the last few years.
    The best/worst part about it is that he mentioned at the start of the game and once during the game that Bristedt wasn't playing due to suspension....! lol!!!
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Red face Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

Finally the Gophs seemed to put forth an effort closer to what we expected from this team, and with some big players out. Makes me feel a little better.

But then I remember that they have UND next, and I am gone. And because the only option is online, I can't DVR the games and watch them when I return!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Been looking forward to this series for quite awhile and all I'll be able to do is read about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Succks!

You misspelled record on VCR
    You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Thread Information