Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

lucky penguin

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    I do give the Big 10 Network a lot of credit for raising the profile of volleyball. Of course, half the conference is in the Top 20 every year. But it does seem as though the Network has made much more effort with volleyball than hockey.
    It's the other way around. Volleyball doesn't draw better ratings because it gets more attention than hockey; it gets more attention from BTN because it draws better ratings than hockey does.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    I teach stats at the university level, but I haven't paid too much attention to the Massey formula. The KRACH (Bradley-Terry model) is a classic logistic regression with recursive partitioning. It's a much more objective ranking system than Pairwise Comparisons (PWR) in sports, because of unequal variances in sports conference formations and the assigned (tweeked ) Ratings Percentage Index (RPI) predictor variables, more specifically the Opponents Opponents Winning Percentage (OOW%) problem. Conversely, the KRACH calculation does not require normal distributions or homogeneity of variances and computes rankings directly from W/L records.

When unequal variances are assumed, the mean comparisons in the PWR and post hoc procedures are not as robust, and typically non-parametric procedures must be implemented. The current PWR ranking system has attempted to simulate a non-parametric procedure by adding in the QWB and eliminating strong vs weak team wins to protect the RPI from an inherent statistical bias.

The PWR has evolved over many years to where it is today with changes primarily in the weighting of predictor variables of the RPI upon which it is based. Granted the predictor variables of the RPI formula (inc. the SOS calculation) might seem a bit capricious, but keep in mind the logit model can have huge multicollinearity issues too.

IMO the PWR ranking system should be scrapped for the KRACH. But until that change happens, I can live with the current tweeks on the PWR system. Sorry Gopher fans about the technical jargon. Not trying to impress, but I thought I'd throw this post in the fray and it's just difficult to explain it in other terms.
    Did you also sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night?
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Did you also sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night?
    No. Why, did you?

Union Hockey fan for life

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    The basketball team is the #2 team on campus. It's literally:

Football
    Basketball
    Men's hockey (maybe)
    everyone else

You can try to get a ticket from a scalper on the street. But because it's against a top flight opponent, it's going to be dam expensive. Which is too bad because Williams might be the best venue on campus. It's something like the 5th or 6th oldest NCAA basketball arena.

ANother thing about Williams to note that is if you are in the far back rows of the lower level, the upper deck might obstruct your view slightly.

ETA: Looks like seats are about $45 a pop. That's honestly not terrible unless you're on a budget.
    I had no idea. I assumed that a school in Minnesota with a hockey team that's among the best in the nation each and every season would be far more popular than a basketball program that has had little success. Shows what I know.

And yes, tickets start at about $45 a pop which isn't bad at all, but I'd prefer to not sit in the last row of the upper level.

And thanks for the heads up about the overhang -- I was about to buy tickets in the lower level row 25, but then I took a closer look at the seating chart and realized that the overhang would be an issue. I'll continue to monitor craigslist and stubhub and hope some better options pop up, but I'll end up at the game one way or another.
    Last edited by UnionHockeyManiac; 01-09-2018 at 01:44 PM.

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
    I had no idea. I assumed that a school in Minnesota with a hockey team that's among the best in the nation each and every season would be far more popular than a basketball program that has had little success. Shows what I know.

And yes, tickets start at about $45 a pop which isn't bad at all, but I'd prefer to not sit in the last row of the upper level.

And thanks for the heads up about the overhang -- I was about to buy tickets in the lower level row 25, but then I took a closer look at the seating chart and realized that the overhang would be an issue. I'll continue to monitor craigslist and stubhub and hope some better options pop up, but I'll end up at the game one way or another.
    There's more B1G money in B-ball than hockey, so it draws eyes from all across the nation rather than the limited audience hockey garners. Also, your fans get entitled/spoiled when you have a run of highly successful years. Then when you're not perceived to be amongst the best, or your new league established itself a reputation as being suspect for the first few years of its existence, people lose interest.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post

If you don't mind sitting in the first row there's a pair for sale on gopherpuckLive.com at a decent price.
    Go to Community-Tickets.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Union Hockey fan for life

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    If you don't mind sitting in the first row there's a pair for sale on gopherpuckLive.com at a decent price.
    Go to Community-Tickets.
    Thanks for the heads up, but I have my hockey tickets already. Looking for 4 basketball tickets vs. Purdue.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    There's more B1G money in B-ball than hockey, so it draws eyes from all across the nation rather than the limited audience hockey garners. Also, your fans get entitled/spoiled when you have a run of highly successful years. Then when you're not perceived to be amongst the best, or your new league established itself a reputation as being suspect for the first few years of its existence, people lose interest.
    Yeah. Hockey is a solid #3. But football and basketball just has a more widespread and diverse following. Gopher hockey is strong in the twin cities, but anywhere north now have their own teams (and video access)...and south of the cities is just like Iowa in terms of having no interest in and knowledge of hockey. The whole state is behind Gopher basketball and football as the only D1 team in the state.
    Go Gophers!

Could this really happen?

Gophers, St. Cloud, North Dakota in same NCAA hockey regional? It could happen in Sioux Falls

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-s...lls/468365293/

Lucia Apologist

Thereís a lot of hockey left to start actually speculating about placement.

Iím sure itís an unpopular opinion but I canít stand the Bracketogy posts here. Especially anything more than two weeks out. Giving scenarios for playoffs is a fine exercise but sorting through PWR rankings two months out is just a waste of time. The guy does a good job, but who gives a sh!!t in February where the teams might go?

The guy does a good job, but who gives a sh!!t in February where the teams might go?
    You obviously disagree, but I enjoyed his article. And as he notes at the bottom, "Again, games to be played will change things, but the potential match-ups are interesting."

Iím sure itís an unpopular opinion but I canít stand the Bracketogy posts here. Especially anything more than two weeks out. Giving scenarios for playoffs is a fine exercise but sorting through PWR rankings two months out is just a waste of time. The guy does a good job, but who gives a sh!!t in February where the teams might go?
    Pretty much, just not really worth talking about right now.
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 01-10-2018 at 10:30 PM.

2 weeks max. I've seen regions switch during the F5 (and the modern conference tourneys). PWR is all speculation until then. Clickbait, all of it.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Interesting article in the Strib this morning about the goaltending situation. Don was quoted as saying:

“If somebody gets hot, we may ride them for a while and kind of go back and forth,” Lucia said. “We’re not necessarily in a situation where we’ll split every weekend. Somebody might play a weekend, somebody else might play the next weekend. It’ll be, from here on out, more merit-based, like it is for everybody.”

Makes me think Robson will get the nod for tonight, and if he plays well, probably tomorrow night as well.

http://www.startribune.com/the-gophe...art/468887943/

Ann Arbor is a whore!

W*t*f??

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post

Makes me think Robson will get the nod for tonight, and if he plays well, probably tomorrow night as well.
    Or maybe just play a period....

Average team with a staff that should be on its farewell tour this season.

Glad I didn't go tonight

Ann Arbor is still a whore.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Thread Information