Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

Yeah he is.

Union Hockey fan for life

I will be attending Saturday's game against Michigan. It will be my first college hockey viewing experience outside an ECAC arena so I'm really looking forward to it. I figured I could not take a trip to Minnesota without seeing what "big league" college hockey looks like. I had the pleasure of meeting a lot of Minnesota fans at the Frozen Four in Philly back in 2014. At the National Championship postgame, despite the fact that our teams had just battled it out, everyone I met could not have been more friendly and congratulatory.

Will definitely be pulling for you guys to destroy Michigan.

M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A
    Minnesota, Minnesota, Minnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnesotaa
    ^Best chant in college hockey.
    Last edited by UnionHockeyManiac; 01-08-2018 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
    I will be attending Saturday's game against Michigan. It will be my first college hockey viewing experience outside an ECAC arena so I'm really looking forward to it. I figured I could not take a trip to Minnesota without seeing what "big league" college hockey looks like. I had the pleasure of meeting a lot of Minnesota fans at the Frozen Four in Philly back in 2014. At the National Championship postgame, despite the fact that our teams had just battled it out, everyone I met could not have been more friendly and congratulatory.

Have a good trip out and a great time while you're here! Oh yeah, dress warm 'cause it could be a little on the chilly side Saturday night...

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USMN0503:1:US
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Lucia Apologist

Spend your time between periods on the concourse. You can walk down all of gopher hockey history. Both lobbies have some great memorabilia as well.

Get there early at least one night because thereís a lot to see .

I recommend not wearing too much Union gear though lest you be mistaken for a North Dakota troll. Their fan base is weird. Any time someone beats the gophers, the entire state empties their coffers to buy that teamís apparel. That and some fans never got over that loss. Or at least be prepared for some questions and angry looks haha.
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 01-08-2018 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Have a good trip out and a great time while you're here! Oh yeah, dress warm 'cause it could be a little on the chilly side Saturday night...

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USMN0503:1:US
    Wow. It the forecast gets colder every time I check it. We just experienced record low temperatures here in NYC this past weekend but that was nothing compared to what it'll be like in Minneapolis.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Spend your time between periods on the concourse. You can walk down all of gopher hockey history. Both lobbies have some great memorabilia as well. Get there early at least one night because thereís a lot to see .
    I will definitely do that, thanks for the heads up. I'm planning to eat an early dinner at Butcher and the Boar at about 5:00 (I've heard that's one of the best restaurants in town) so I'll be tight on time before the game, but I will check it out in between periods.

I recommend not wearing too much Union gear though lest you be mistaken for a North Dakota troll. Their fan base is weird. Any time someone beats the gophers, the entire state empties their coffers to buy that teamís apparel. That and some fans never got over that loss. Or at least be prepared for some questions and angry looks haha.
    I was actually going to ask about that. I was planning to wear a Union shirt, but I don't want to **** anyone off.

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

Usually when I see someone wearing Union gearI trip them.....but will restrain myself this weekend.

There is neat Olympic display along the outside wall near sections 5 & 6 with medals & other memorabilia from (IIFC) Squaw Valley, Sapporo, & Lake Placid. Probably the smallest yet most impactful of the displays at Maroosh, at least in my humble opinion.

Enjoy your time.....the Butcher & The Boar is supposed to be fantastic!

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

Vote Bullwinkle J. Moose For President in 2016

You can rep your school. If someone thinks you're a Whioux fan you can correct them and they'll become much more welcoming.

Or, he can just move to one of the sections where no one is sitting and he won't have to answer any questions.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Or, he can just move to one of the sections where no one is sitting and he won't have to answer any questions.
    Another awesome thing about Mariucci. It's known for good sight lines wherever you sit, and you can try out all of them during the weekend without worrying about taking someone's seat!

Just don't sit in mine if I show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyeagle View Post
    Usually when I see someone wearing Union gearI trip them.....but will restrain myself this weekend.

There is neat Olympic display along the outside wall near sections 5 & 6 with medals & other memorabilia from (IIFC) Squaw Valley, Sapporo, & Lake Placid. Probably the smallest yet most impactful of the displays at Maroosh, at least in my humble opinion.

Enjoy your time.....the Butcher & The Boar is supposed to be fantastic!
    Much appreciated...on both counts!

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    Another awesome thing about Mariucci. It's known for good sight lines wherever you sit, and you can try out all of them during the weekend without worrying about taking someone's seat!

Just don't sit in mine if I show up.
    I think my tickets are in Section 21, but I'll double-check. I bought them on Stub Hub.

On an unrelated note, I'm trying to get tickets to the basketball game earlier that day (Minnesota vs. Purdue) but tickets seem to be exorbitantly expensive. Any advice on the best plan of action there? I know this is a hockey forum, but I figured it was worth a shot.
    Last edited by UnionHockeyManiac; 01-08-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Lucia Apologist

I think my tickets are in Section 21, but I'll double-check. I bought them on Stub Hub.

On an unrelated note, I'm trying to get tickets to the basketball game earlier that day (Minnesota vs. Purdue) but tickets seem to be exorbitantly expensive. Any advice on the best plan of action there? I know this is a hockey forum, but I figured it was worth a shot.
    The basketball team is the #2 team on campus. It's literally:

Football
    Basketball
    Men's hockey (maybe)
    everyone else

You can try to get a ticket from a scalper on the street. But because it's against a top flight opponent, it's going to be dam expensive. Which is too bad because Williams might be the best venue on campus. It's something like the 5th or 6th oldest NCAA basketball arena.

ANother thing about Williams to note that is if you are in the far back rows of the lower level, the upper deck might obstruct your view slightly.

ETA: Looks like seats are about $45 a pop. That's honestly not terrible unless you're on a budget.
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 01-08-2018 at 06:26 PM.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

The basketball team is the #2 team on campus. It's literally:

Football
    Basketball
    Men's hockey (maybe)
    everyone else

You can try to get a ticket from a scalper on the street. But because it's against a top flight opponent, it's going to be dam expensive. Which is too bad because Williams might be the best venue on campus. It's something like the 5th or 6th oldest NCAA basketball arena.

ANother thing about Williams to note that is if you are in the far back rows of the lower level, the upper deck might obstruct your view slightly.

ETA: Looks like seats are about $45 a pop. That's honestly not terrible unless you're on a budget.
    Womenís Volleyball - Ahead of hockey or not? (Serious question)

Lucia Apologist

I donít think so. But maybe in a few regards.

I would think the womenís basketball team comes ahead of volleyball. But volleyball has had great success. That being said, they arenít going to move a hockey game to avoid a volleyball or womenís basketball game unless it was playoff time. Even then...

I donít think so. But maybe in a few regards.

I would think the womenís basketball team comes ahead of volleyball. But volleyball has had great success. That being said, they arenít going to move a hockey game to avoid a volleyball or womenís basketball game unless it was playoff time. Even then...
    I do give the Big 10 Network a lot of credit for raising the profile of volleyball. Of course, half the conference is in the Top 20 every year. But it does seem as though the Network has made much more effort with volleyball than hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    What stands out for me with SCSU is their tenacity in winning puck battles, positioning and moving the puck. Last time the Gophers beat a #1 team was BC 8-1 in Dec. 2012. With Notre Dame sweeping Mich and extending their NCAA leading winning streak to 15 games, I think one could argue ND is the #1 team though.

After a plethora of scoring chances this season, nice to see Darian "workhorse" Romanko finally get rewarded and score the biggest goal of his Gopher career thus far.

Apparently Lindgren, who watched the game on TV the night before, had some choice words with the team in the locker room before the game. The Gophers responded and played solid D blocking 20 shots vs SCSU's 7. Despite being outshot for most of the game, Robson looked very poised in net. Like to see more starts from him.

Bad news was the Gophers were 0/6 on the PP for the weekend as it continues to take a nosedive now at 12.7%. Does anyone know, is Bell running the PP?
    Both the Krach and Massey Ratings have SCSU ranked 4th. Notre Dame is #1 in the KRACH and #2 in the Massey Ratings. Massey has Clarkson ranked #1.

Received the following email from the "Gopher Loyalty Program" (they are trying some new things):

Dear ______:

Thank you for selecting the Gopher Men’s Hockey Insider event as one of your benefits in the Gopher Loyalty Program. We are excited to see you at 3M Arena at Mariucci on Friday, January 12th. Details pertaining to the event are below:

When: Friday, Jan. 12 | 5:30pm – Gopher Hockey game begins at 7:00pm
    Where: Williams Arena Club Room

This pregame Gopher Insider event will take place in the Williams Arena Club Room. This benefit is good for you and 1 guest. You will receive a print-at-home ticket via email. Please bring the print-at-home ticket with you and present it to our staff upon entering the Club Room. Light refreshments will be provided.

Please enter Williams Arena through the Oak Street lobby entrance located on the far east end of the building, closest to Buffalo Wild Wings and use the far left set of doors. Once inside the Oak Street Lobby follow the signs to the Williams Arena Club room and take the elevator to the 3rd floor.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Gopher Ticket Sales & Service Office at fans@gopherfanrelations.com or call 612-624-8080 (Option 2). The Ticket Sales & Service Office is open Monday–Friday 9am–5pm and is located at the 3M Arena at Mariucci Ticket Office.

We look forward to seeing you on Friday!

Ski-U-Mah!

Note: An obvious error where they say "Please enter Williams Arena..."
    Last edited by D2D; 01-08-2018 at 10:43 PM.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Union Fan: If you have a good sense of humor about it, and are not combative, you're fine in wearing Union stuff. Laugh off the comments, and I bet 95% of the sh*-givers will realize you are really a Union fan.

Oh, you think the cold is your ally. But you merely adopted the cold; Minnesotans were born in it, molded by it. We didn't see the light until we were already men, by then it was nothing to us but BLINDING!
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
    Both the Krach and Massey Ratings have SCSU ranked 4th. Notre Dame is #1 in the KRACH and #2 in the Massey Ratings. Massey has Clarkson ranked #1.
    I teach stats at the university level, but I haven't paid too much attention to the Massey formula. The KRACH (Bradley-Terry model) is a classic logistic regression with recursive partitioning. It's a much more objective ranking system than Pairwise Comparisons (PWR) in sports, because of unequal variances in sports conference formations and the assigned (tweeked ) Ratings Percentage Index (RPI) predictor variables, more specifically the Opponents Opponents Winning Percentage (OOW%) problem. Conversely, the KRACH calculation does not require normal distributions or homogeneity of variances and computes rankings directly from W/L records.

When unequal variances are assumed, the mean comparisons in the PWR and post hoc procedures are not as robust, and typically non-parametric procedures must be implemented. The current PWR ranking system has attempted to simulate a non-parametric procedure by adding in the QWB and eliminating strong vs weak team wins to protect the RPI from an inherent statistical bias.

The PWR has evolved over many years to where it is today with changes primarily in the weighting of predictor variables of the RPI upon which it is based. Granted the predictor variables of the RPI formula (inc. the SOS calculation) might seem a bit capricious, but keep in mind the logit model can have huge multicollinearity issues too.

IMO the PWR ranking system should be scrapped for the KRACH. But until that change happens, I can live with the current tweeks on the PWR system. Sorry Gopher fans about the technical jargon. Not trying to impress, but I thought I'd throw this post in the fray and it's just difficult to explain it in other terms.

Thread Information