Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

Quote Originally Posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    Just went on mygophersports.com to check out ticket prices for Sunday's game. $50 for the cheapest tickets? Are these guys serious with these prices?
    They must be expecting half of St. Cloud to show up.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    I watched both games and it looked to me like they scaled back the "dump and chase" as a first response and carried the puck into the zone to setup and make plays. But then again, Army looked terrible and struggled all weekend making plays and defending their zone. So possession time was pretty lopsided.
    I hope they carry that over to all teams, at a minimum take what the opponent's D gives you. The main exception should be to get a line change.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

wubba lubba dub dub

Just went on mygophersports.com to check out ticket prices for Sunday's game. $50 for the cheapest tickets? Are these guys serious with these prices?
    That's been the case since the first day tickets went on sale. I have tickets to both games this weekend.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Maybe but youíre talking the best players in the world at that age. They might not be as developed size wise but make up for it in skill.
    Perhaps but conversely CM might not be the #1 focus on his line by the other WJC teams. Given how many players we've seen develop while at the U and flourish in the NHL I find it ludicrous that anyone is suggesting he's being held back in Minnesota.

If I'm bored I'll try to pull how many players the U has put into the NHL from rosters in the last ten seasons and more importantly how many games they've played and points they've put up. Then I might check some competitor schools.

I'll start with forwards since that was the discussion. Looked at the last ten full seasons.

11 Gopher forwards from those teams have made an NHL appearance
    2244 games
    1314 points
    -61% of the games and 76% of the points come from two players that just made the ten season cutoff (Wheeler and Okposo).
    -No other forward is .5 points per game in the NHL except for Lettieri (one game one goal).
    -Haula and Bjugstad are the only others I would call full time NHLers.

Curious to see how this compares to UND, uw, and maybe one other.

UND:
    13 forwards with appearance
    1932 games
    872 points
    -51% and 70% of points come from Oshie and Nelson
    -Five full time NHLers and two that could potentially be called full time (Jost and Rowney)
    Last edited by Bonin21; 01-04-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Falling on fans at NHC since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    That's been the case since the first day tickets went on sale. I have tickets to both games this weekend.
    Well, if there are any Gopher fans still wondering why attendance is so bad... Good Lord.

wubba lubba dub dub

Well, if there are any Gopher fans still wondering why attendance is so bad... Good Lord.
    There was actually pretty decent attendance for the Army game on Friday night. Their athletics department included it on the Black Friday sale. Magically, lower prices resulted in more butts in the seats. Imagine that. It's almost as if there's this graph of plot points that show a negative relationship between price and quantity demanded of their product. Hmm... Someone should study that and maybe write some books on the subject. It could be a new field of study.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Lucia Apologist

Silly cloud fans. Itís about sales not butts in seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    I'll start with forwards since that was the discussion. Looked at the last ten full seasons.

2244 games
    1314 points
    -61% of the games and 76% of the points come from two players that just made the ten season cutoff (Wheeler and Okposo).
    -No other forward is .5 points per game in the NHL except for Lettieri (one game one goal).

UND:
    1932 games
    872 points
    -Five full time NHLers and two that could potentially be called full time (Jost and Rowney)
    This ignores defenders and your arbitrary cutoff omits Kessel (drafted the same year as Okposo) and Vanek. Schroeder probably doesn't count but does have 158 NHL games played to date. And you would "call" Bjugstad a full timer? How gracious of you at 319 games played in less than 5 seasons.

Falling on fans at NHC since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Silly cloud fans. Itís about sales not butts in seats.
    Who disputed that? I don't have access to the ticket sales numbers, but I would be surprised if they are even selling half of their tickets at $50 per person.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    This ignores defenders and your arbitrary cutoff omits Kessel (drafted the same year as Okposo) and Vanek. Schroeder probably doesn't count but does have 158 NHL games played to date. And you would "call" Bjugstad a full timer? How gracious of you at 319 games played in less than 5 seasons.
    You're reading too much into the Bjugstad sentence. "The only others I would call full timers" doesn't mean I had any internal debate about those two. Also I said I'd start with forwards because that's what we were talking about. Played at the U the last ten seasons seems like a fine cutoff, but you can move it however you want and add those years for the other teams.

Vanek? I'm not going to go back that far. That's when the coaching staff's message was still getting to the team.

uw:
    10 forwards with appearance
    1747 games
    978 points
    -Basically everything comes from Smith, Stepan and Turris.
    -Kunin will likely be the next full timer.

I'd say there isn't enough difference between where the three schools are right now to dramatically change a recruit's decision based completely on chance to get to the NHL. It would be other factors. Chance to win a title, game day atmosphere, facilities, how they get along with staff, school fit, proximity to home, potentially where friends are playing, and so on.
    Last edited by Bonin21; 01-05-2018 at 10:15 AM.

Excellent point...D1 does have some "trees" (e.g. Penn St.) and more seasoned college players. I was also thinking he's been allowed more freedom to explore his own style of play and carry the puck (to D2D's point) vs. the "dump and chase" which has often been the first response this season, not a second or third option.
    He doesnít dump the puck very often but Sheehy has been a dump machine and Rem does his fair share of it as well. Also the quality of Dmen getting him the puck and how they do that makes a difference in terms of his speed through the neutral zone and has its benefits in the offensive zone obviously. Thereís a lot of variables though and they all have their varying amounts of impact.
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 01-05-2018 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post

2244 games
    1314 points

UND:
    1932 games
    872 points
    Rowney is definitely full time for the penguins.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Perhaps but conversely CM might not be the #1 focus on his line by the other WJC teams. Given how many players we've seen develop while at the U and flourish in the NHL I find it ludicrous that anyone is suggesting he's being held back in Minnesota.
    Not arguing that guys have never developed at the U.

Last night's outcome was what I expected. It's probably good CM and Lindgren's equipment didn't make it back in time so they're rested for the series home game.

If CM, Lindgren and Novak had played would it have made a difference in the score last night? I don't know...but considering Schierhorn was not on his game, and overall they've been inept on the road this season (now 1-8-1) and on the PP (13%), I have my doubts. Especially against a much better team like SCSU.

In fact, the Gophers are on pace for the worst road record ever in the Lucia era. Haven't checked another dubious stat myself, but I read somewhere the Gophers are now 3-18 against MN teams since the B1G started? If that is correct, we have fallen hard compared to the WCHA era. IMO that stat alone is has enough pattern recognition to reassess the coaching position.

Tonight, hopefully they bounce back and get a win at home. Like to see Schierhorn sit, and Robson start between the pipes.

1. Basketball sucks.
    2. That game sucked.
    3. How did I miss that Novak is out and do we know what it is or how serious?
    4. While SCSU missed Poehling, I don't think he would have made nearly as much difference as the three the Gophs were missing, especially on the PP.
    5. While Jan's PK looked pretty good, I think the Gophs helped to make it look better in several instances. PP should be better.
    6. I hope they pull together a much better effort tonight.

Last night's outcome was what I expected. It's probably good CM and Lindgren's equipment didn't make it back in time so they're rested for the series home game.

If CM, Lindgren and Novak had played would it have made a difference in the score last night? I don't know...but considering Schierhorn was not on his game, and overall they've been inept on the road this season (now 1-8-1) and on the PP (13%), I have my doubts. Especially against a much better team like SCSU.

In fact, the Gophers are on pace for the worst road record ever in the Lucia era. Haven't checked another dubious stat myself, but I read somewhere the Gophers are now 3-18 against MN teams since the B1G started? If that is correct, we have fallen hard compared to the WCHA era. IMO that stat alone is has enough pattern recognition to reassess the coaching position.

Tonight, hopefully they bounce back and get a win at home. Like to see Schierhorn sit, and Robson start between the pipes.
    The 3-18 canít be right. Iíve seen the Gophers beat Kato more than 3 times since the split. That might be the SCSU and UMD record, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post
    1. Basketball sucks.
    2. That game sucked.
    4. While SCSU missed Poehling, I don't think he would have made nearly as much difference as the three the Gophs were missing, especially on the PP.
    5. While Jan's PK looked pretty good, I think the Gophs helped to make it look better in several instances. PP should be better.
    From what I have learned:

The Novak thing was just found out yesterday afternoon.
    He IS in a cast (wrist).
    It's not hockey-related.
    Out for a "couple more weeks" according to tDon
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post
    1. Basketball sucks.
    2. That game sucked.
    According to Nate Wells Twitter, Novak is week to week with a wrist injury and ruled out of tonight's game.

Thread Information