Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

Obviously it's hard to win it all. Can you list how many tournament victories teams have in the last ten years? Gophers have five, and four are on what is essentially home ice.

If you don't want to pull that data I'll do it later if I have time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    No one is using one decision about one player on the PP as a legitimate reason to shake up the staff. Two years out of the last ten with an NCAA victory. Both seasons at the X to start. TEN YEARS. Not acceptable.
    Well I realize this, but a few are using it as one example of why he isn't qualified to coach. So even if you think Lucia should be gone, you have to appreciate the irony of the situation.

I am rather neutral on the coach thing. It is not like I have a clear cut major improvement to offer. And I accept that the days of picking the best high school players in MN when they are 18 years old, so you know what they will bring to college, is over, so there will be much more parity in college hockey as long as the major teams are picking kids at 14 and hoping they develop. For this reason, I don't expect the Gophs to dominate every year at the level they often did in the 80's and 90's and into the 2000's. I would not say they have been bad in recent years, winning all those league championships (albeit some pretty weak) and making the finals. (And it is tough to judge on one-and-done performances --How many Natty's has Jan won under Motzko?.) Yes, they have had a couple years, like this one, where the team has performed below what was expected given the talent level. (Although the jury is still out on this year.) Last year of major under-performing there were rumors of problems in the locker room with some personalities, and that doesn't always fall on the coaches. I just don't think Lucia will be fired (or asked to retire) after this season when he has one more year on his contract (and has stated he doesn't want to stick around forever) so I don't normally engage in those conversations (Yeah, I know, it's the Internet.) And other than cases where a team that has been playing at a low level and a new coach comes in and turns them into a consistent power team, it is difficult to assess coaches from our perspectives.

But more importantly, am I going to have to search for the games myself?

FSN tonight FSN+ tomorrow

FSN tonight FSN+ tomorrow
    Thanks. For some reason I thought it wasn't on except streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post
    Thanks. For some reason I thought it wasn't on except streaming.
    Every game the rest of the way is on TV, except probably the first round of the Big Ten playoffs (since there won't be a bye for the Gophers).

I'll start this and edit it with more teams as I go.

NCAA tournament victories in the last ten seasons:
    BC: 16 (3 titles)
    UND: 14 (1 title)
    UMD: 11 (1 title)
    BU: 8 (1 title)
    DU: 8 (1 title)
    Union: 7 (1 title)
    ND: 7
    UM: 7
    Yale: 6 (1 title)
    Lowell: 6
    Qpac: 6
    Providence: 5 (1 title)
    UMN: 5
    SCSU: 5
    uw: 4
    Last edited by Bonin21; 12-29-2017 at 03:45 PM.

I'll start this and edit it with more teams as I go.

NCAA tournament victories in the last ten seasons:
    BC: 16 (3 titles)
    UND: 14 (1 title)
    UMD: 11 (1 title)
    BU: 8 (1 title)
    DU: 8 (1 title)
    Union: 7 (1 title)
    ND: 7
    UMi: 7
    Yale: 6 (1 title)
    Lowell: 6
    Qpac: 6
    Providence: 5 (1 title)
    UM: 5
    SCSU: 5
    uw: 4
    Edited

Gophers eek out a W against possibly the worst coached team they've faced all season. Funny, Bristedt scored an ENG and Clymer commented this may get his production going again like last season. I like Reedy's positioning to battle in front, but if you retaliate you could hurt your team. Reedy speared an Army player in the crotch at the buzzer, gets a Major and GM, so he sits for tomorrow's game.

Lucia Apologist

Eked out a win? They dominated the game.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    Gophers eek out a W against possibly the worst coached team they've faced all season. Funny, Bristedt scored an ENG and Clymer commented this may get his production going again like last season. I like Reedy's positioning to battle in front, but if you retaliate you could hurt your team. Reedy speared an Army player in the crotch at the buzzer, gets a Major and GM, so he sits for tomorrow's game.
    You know they recently beat Colgate and UNH, right?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

In my opinion, the Gophers dominated in possession time, but against an Army team that lacks skill in the fundamentals (zone entry, passing, positioning, etc.) it took 57 min. for the Gophers to score a 5x5 goal, and 0/4 on the PP (now @ 14.3%) despite outshooting them 33-13.

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Army could sweep this weekend...
    Army was absolutely terrible and had zero offensive punch. I guess Schierhorn did have to make a couple good saves but they didn't do much through the neutral zone or get much going really.

In my opinion, the Gophers dominated in possession time, but against an Army team that lacks skill in the fundamentals (zone entry, passing, positioning, etc.) it took 57 min. for the Gophers to score a 5x5 goal, and 0/4 on the PP (now @ 14.3%) despite outshooting them 33-13.
    Can't say I expected anything different, kinda figured it'd be a ho hum game where the Gophers win 4-0. And it was 3-0 with a ENG.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    It’s why fans are dumb and why they are fans, not coaches. Make intelligent sounding argument. Get thwacked by reality. Hard.
    Yeah not really. If you're gonna make that argument then you need to acknowledge that most NHL coaches don't do it that way for a reason.

By that logic, maybe both of them aren't in the NHL for a reason
    Quote Originally Posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
    I don't know if you understand just how hard it is to be a consistent winner these days???
    Nobody is saying any season that doesn't end with a national title is a failure, I look at the team that lost to Yale and don't see it as a horrible season or a failure.

But even you acknowledge that North Dakota has been far more consistent than we have over the past decade, that isn't exactly an unrealistic goal and that's the team many consider our biggest rival as well as a good basis for comparison given their prestige.
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 12-30-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Nobody is saying any season that doesn't end with a national title is a failure, I look at the team that lost to Yale and don't see it as a horrible season or a failure.

But even you acknowledge that North Dakota has been far more consistent than we have over the past decade, that isn't exactly an unrealistic goal and that's the team many consider our biggest rival as well as a good basis for comparison given their prestige.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I HATE what has been going on the past decade. I'm one of those fans who thinks Minnesota should always be dominating hockey. But I just can't see giving up on a coach who seems to just need some good luck, at least not without a sure thing to replace him.

All I've heard for options is Motzko and one of our own assistants? Are you kidding me? Motzko hasn't proven anything yet and as soon as he does, we probably won't be able to get him or might end up regretting the hire?

Why not Potulny or Blais or Stauber or Todd Richards? Yeah I know, Potulny hasn't enough experience, Blais is too old, Stauber was a goalie and Richards? I can't, but I'm sure some here can figure out some reason to diss him. And those are just the alums I can think of, but I'm not saying we need an alum, just saying why not think bigger or outside of the box? Heck, I'd be open to hiring a French Canadien or a blind Chinese woman, if either could win us titles without cheating. Hell, I'd even be open to hiring a Badger Alum. We gave them Bob Johnson, they owe us, lol.

I guess all I'm saying is to get rid of a guy like Lucia, IMO, his replacement needs to be a homerun, he needs to be the next Herb Brooks, basically, or the next Lucia, lol, seeing as Lucia did kick arse the first X years he was here.

Quote Originally Posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
    Hey, don't get me wrong, I HATE what has been going on the past decade. I'm one of those fans who thinks Minnesota should always be dominating hockey. But I just can't see giving up on a coach who seems to just need some good luck, at least not without a sure thing to replace him.

All I've heard for options is Motzko and one of our own assistants? Are you kidding me? Motzko hasn't proven anything yet and as soon as he does, we probably won't be able to get him or might end up regretting the hire?

Why not Potulny or Blais or Stauber or Todd Richards? Yeah I know, Potulny hasn't enough experience, Blais is too old, Stauber was a goalie and Richards? I can't, but I'm sure some here can figure out some reason to diss him. And those are just the alums I can think of, but I'm not saying we need an alum, just saying why not think bigger or outside of the box? Heck, I'd be open to hiring a French Canadien or a blind Chinese woman, if either could win us titles without cheating. Hell, I'd even be open to hiring a Badger Alum. We gave them Bob Johnson, they owe us, lol.

I guess all I'm saying is to get rid of a guy like Lucia, IMO, his replacement needs to be a homerun, he needs to be the next Herb Brooks, basically, or the next Lucia, lol, seeing as Lucia did kick arse the first X years he was here.
    I was willing to consider, for the sake of argument, the Canadian and the Blind Chinese woman, but seriously, a former Badger?

Lucia Apologist

Sorry but no. Fans are morons. 99.99999999999999% of all fan-made arguments about coaching are dumb. Questioning a single coin flip decision like whether to save a timeout or use it, fine. But itís inconsequential since it was a coin flip and the fans have miraculously perfect hindsight. Some fans have insight, but even insiders with insight are usually dumb. They donít get to see practice. They donít get to see the lockeroom. They donít get to see the kids together. They donít get to hear about the leadership behind the scenes.

And again, if fans had the answers they would be behind the bench.

Lucia Apologist

Anyone who suggests Blais needs to have their head examined. Unless it was a typo and they meant Blasi. Even then, his flame has dimmed significantly.

Agreed with Fredís last paragraph though. It better be a homerun.

In a lot of their recent games, they were not getting many net-front chances. Last night they had a lot more that could have gone in than in those games. I think they were pretty dominant against a hot goalie.

I would feel better if they had Reedy for tonight though. (The look Lucia gave him coming off the ice and the "WHY?" said it all.)

As for CM, can't say I completely like what he is doing in Buffalo. Setting up every goal against Canada and scoring a highlight goal earlier in front of the future fans doesn't do much for convincing Buffalo to let him stick around another year in Minnesota to work on his pull-ups. While college hockey allows players to work more on weights than the pros, I don't have much faith that my fantasy will come true of him being such a homer that he sticks around four years (being the first to win the Hobey back-to-back his last two) and then choosing to play for the Wild.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Anyone who suggests Blais needs to have their head examined. Unless it was a typo and they meant Blasi. Even then, his flame has dimmed significantly.

Agreed with Fredís last paragraph though. It better be a homerun.
    Agree. However, I'm leaning towards the "replace tDon" side more and more, and it's not a knock on tDon. I'm actually quite sad that I'm leaning that way...but I do feel that he's on the sooner-not-later timeline right now. The program, for the most part, has gotten a bit stale, and that's not acceptable for a school of this stature in this sport.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Thread Information