Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

Lucia Apologist

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

The u of m doesnít give two ****s about attendance as long as they sell tickets and sponsors continue to dump cash into heir coffers. Paid attendance is still high. New corporate money is coming in.

Paid attendance has taken a material hit just like actual attendance. All is not well. If the season continues as it has and Lucia is back somehow, things are going to be BRUTAL next year with tons of STH dropping especially if there isn't a significant price drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    Paid attendance has taken a material hit just like actual attendance. All is not well. If the season continues as it has and Lucia is back somehow, things are going to be BRUTAL next year with tons of STH dropping especially if there isn't a significant price drop.
    Something else will put added pressure on season ticket sales: The new tax law. Those added mandatory seat "donations" for the most desired sections - previously 80% deductible - will no longer be deductible at all. That will effectively and significantly raise the cost of season tickets for many, including me!
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Didn't even think about how the tax scam affects STH. Yikes.

Off topic but hey...how 'bout a little trivia on Gopher alums in the NHL

Thomas Vanek had a hat trick for the Canucks a couple nights ago, his 10th of his career (VIDEO). In terms of NHL ranking among Gopher alums here's how he stacks up:

343 Goals: 1st
    719 Points: 2nd (N. Broten - 923)
    920 Games: 3rd
    (Broten - 1099, Ramsey - 1070)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post

Thomas Vanek had a hat trick for the Canucks a couple nights ago, his 10th of his career (VIDEO). In terms of NHL ranking among Gopher alums here's how he stacks up:

Very interesting! I never would have guessed he's No. 1 in goals scored. Thanks for sharing.

Pretty impressive when you consider he's playing during a lower scoring era.

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Very interesting! I never would have guessed he's No. 1 in goals scored. Thanks for sharing.
    I had exactly the same reaction when I read it. What's amazing too is most of his goal scoring has come from the middle of bloody nose alley, which is brutal in the NHL. I can't recall if he's ever been in a fight though.

I had exactly the same reaction when I read it. What's amazing too is most of his goal scoring has come from the middle of bloody nose alley, which is brutal in the NHL. I can't recall if he's ever been in a fight though.
    Watched the video clip of his hat trick from a few days ago. All three were scored from "bloody nose alley". Wow, could the Gophers ever use a couple guys who make a living in "the alley".

Watched the video clip of his hat trick from a few days ago. All three were scored from "bloody nose alley". Wow, could the Gophers ever use a couple guys who make a living in "the alley".
    I've been impressed with Szmatula's net presence this season. He's taken quite a few beatings in front. His numbers are down from last season though (like everyone else).

This space for sale

Yeah, I got the email from the Athletic department earlier this week with the offering to pay next year's donation in advance. I will likely take advantage of it for 2018 season, but will have to re-think my season tickets after that.

Army marches into Mariucci this weekend matching up fairly well in nearly every stat category with the Gophers. The caveat is the Gophers have played more ranked opponents, but will be without the services of Mittelstadt and Lindgren and have struggled finding the back of the net lately losing 5 of their last 6 games. Army could steal one this weekend unless the Gophers get better goaltending and key players regain their scoring touch.

Army could steal one this weekend...
    Army could sweep this weekend...

Army could sweep this weekend...
    That would be devastating to say the least. I see the wisdom in bringing in Clayton Phillips on D as an offensive threat from the blue line (third round pick of the Pittsburgh Penguins). But as a freshman he'll need time to adjust, so I don't have high expectations.

I hope Sheehy is on the top line. With only one G in the latest 6 game skid, he needs to get on score sheet.

Vanek seems to be fired up lately, getting in on all 5 of his team's goals tonight, 2 goals and 3 assists for the former Gopher. I believe his 5 pts tonight will mean that there are 5 former Gophers in the Top 100 in scoring in the NHL right now, including 2 in the Top 10.

I haven't been to GPL for a week or so now, but there were the usual number of 'need a new coach' people with many suggesting Motzko as a good replacement. Some continue to use the fact Lucia uses Mittlestedt on the left side on the PP as an example of a mistake he makes as a coach and an example of why he needs to be replaced. But it is funny that when watching the US Juniors the other day, with a team coached by Motzko, Casey was on the left on the PP.

Btw, I haven't looked, but what are watching options this weekend? Are the games streamed for free?

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post
    I haven't been to GPL for a week or so now, but there were the usual number of 'need a new coach' people with many suggesting Motzko as a good replacement. Some continue to use the fact Lucia uses Mittlestedt on the left side on the PP as an example of a mistake he makes as a coach and an example of why he needs to be replaced. But it is funny that when watching the US Juniors the other day, with a team coached by Motzko, Casey was on the left on the PP.

Btw, I haven't looked, but what are watching options this weekend? Are the games streamed for free?
    Itís why fans are dumb and why they are fans, not coaches. Make intelligent sounding argument. Get thwacked by reality. Hard.

Casey Mittelstadt's goal is No. 1 on ESPN's Top 10 today.

Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post

No one is using one decision about one player on the PP as a legitimate reason to shake up the staff. Two years out of the last ten with an NCAA victory. Both seasons at the X to start. TEN YEARS. Not acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    No one is using one decision about one player on the PP as a legitimate reason to shake up the staff. Two years out of the last ten with an NCAA victory. Both seasons at the X to start. TEN YEARS. Not acceptable.

I don't know if you understand just how hard it is to be a consistent winner these days???

Denver went an entire 10 years without once making the Frozen Four after their back to back title run.

TEN YEARS, not a single FF.

And one of the most consistent teams lately, UND, went 10 years without making it to a Title game after their runner up finish in 05.

BU has only made one FF since their Title in 09.

Michigan has only made two FFs in the last 14 seasons.

Wisconsin has only made one FF since their Title in 06.

Miami OH hasn't made the FF since their back to back FF run in 09 and 10.

SCSU has only made it to one FF EVER and so has been missing from the Frozen Four for longer than Minnesota.

MSU hasn't made a FF since they won their title in 2007.

Notre Dame went 5 years without making the FF until last year and has gone 9 years without making a title game.

UMD went 5 years without making the FF after their Title in 11.

Maine has gone 9 years without making a FF after making 6 FFs the 9 years before that.

Now some of those are worse than others, but I basically mentioned every major program with any success in the past 20 years, with the one and only exception of BC. The only negative I can come up with for BC is they went 6 years without winning a title from 02-07 and have gone 5 years now without making a Title game.

And if I go back 25 years, then Lake Superior St has gone over 20 years without making a single FF after making 3 straight Title games winning 2 titles in 92 and 94.

Why is it so hard? My guess is that success draws attention to the better players in those successful programs from the NHL and the improved recruiting that often follows some success in the NCAA tourney, often results in players leaving early, sometimes after just one season.

And looking at how well former Gophers are doing in the NHL, its not hard to see that Lucia recruited great players, and its very possible that he simply recruited TOO well and has struggled to find the right kinds of players, the kind that will contribute right away, but still want or need to stick around for 4 years.

Thread Information