Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

I remember Travis Boyd as a hard working role player who worked his way up from the "checking" line for a couple seasons with 4 total goals to a top line forward his senior year with almost 20. He made his debut against the Sharks as the 19th Gopher to play in the NHL this season. Congrats to Travis!

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    I remember Travis Boyd as a hard working role player who worked his way up from the "checking" line for a couple seasons with 4 total goals to a top line forward his senior year with almost 20. He made his debut against the Sharks as the 19th Gopher to play in the NHL this season. Congrats to Travis!

Good for him!!
    Boyd had one goal his Fr. year, against the green team in the region final. It's all about timing!

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

Vote Bullwinkle J. Moose For President in 2016

Much like the Gophers, The Ohio State Buckeyes have not been a model of consistency this season. We'll see who shows up this weekend. Could be a tight series.

Much like the Gophers, The Ohio State Buckeyes have not been a model of consistency this season. We'll see who shows up this weekend. Could be a tight series.
    Really must sweep. The league becomes a longer shot after each loss.
    Go Gophers!

Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Unless Notre Dame goes into a real bad skid I think it's going to end up being a battle for 2nd Place.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Notre Dame is pretty much relying on Cale Morris playing like Hasek, so it wouldn't be a shocker if that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Unless Notre Dame goes into a real bad skid I think it's going to end up being a battle for 2nd Place.
    They do have a more difficult schedule than us (if for no other reason, they play us here). But pretty much as you say...and there's a good chance we can't sweep them here based on how we're playing.
    Go Gophers!

Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Yeah... I was thinkin' with a current road record of 1-5-1, who are the impact players on this team? At the beginning of the season I never thought the offense would be struggling 5x5 AND on the PP.

Yeah... I was thinkin' with a current road record of 1-5-1, who are the impact players on this team? At the beginning of the season I never thought the offense would be struggling 5x5 AND on the PP.
    Me neither. I guess the natural tendency for avid fans is to overestimate your team's talent. Other teams have guys who are pretty good too.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

I don't think the talent is the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    I don't think the talent is the issue.
    On paper, the talent is there. You have the B1G POTY in Sheehy. Set up artist Novak is back. Gates a scoring machine. Bristedt with a phenom of a prep resume as a senior. Szmatula who stormed into HEast as one of the best freshmen as a senior. Scoring record holder in the USHL in Pitlick. Top freshman in the country in Mittlestadt along with Reedy from the NTDP. Potentially one of the best 4th lines around with Romanko and Ramsey. And a pretty solid overall D with a great addition in Nanne.

But they have struggled to score or hold it together when ahead. This goes without saying, but this team could win a NC or it could be the biggest disappointment in years.
    Go Gophers!

Sheehy is not the same at all. Gates the "scoring machine" has five goals. Both seniors' production is down, with Bristedt's completely falling off a cliff. Reedy has been okay and McManus has disappeared. People will point to them being freshmen but in college hockey now freshmen should contribute. Ramsey/Romanko/Norman: Well...

Novak back is big. Pitlick has gotten better. Mittelstadt has the most pure skill but hasn't found all the magic yet.

This should be a great group of forwards. Right now they are barely scratching playing good overall. It can change at any time, but it needs to start soon.

I agree that the talent is clearly there, when pretty much everyone is playing worse than last year I know where I'm gonna focus my attention.

I'm just gonna break this one down since these are all sorta seperate points
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    Sheehy is not the same at all.
    Sheehy is definitely playing worse than last year at least in terms of making the types of controlled plays that I track (obviously his scoring is down too but it's not hard to see why). Definitely worse in terms of zone entries and exits; I'm not entirely sure whether that's because of the injury or whatever but he's definitely dumping the puck and clearing the puck out of the D zone more etc.

Both seniors' production is down, with Bristedt's completely falling off a cliff. Reedy has been okay and McManus has disappeared.
    Leon is no longer playing with Lettieri, that's where a lot of his production came from last year and Vinni just had that combination of speed and shooting ability to get others open on rush plays. Now that he plays with Szmatula that's kinda gone by the wayside probably because Szmatula isn't an overly fast player from what I can tell.

McManus is also in the boat of needing to make more controlled plays but also being better at making them. He has had some costly turnovers but you kinda hope the coaches aren't telling him to stop trying to make them because of a few mistakes. Also he wasn't going to shoot 1 out of every 2 pucks into the net like he did earlier this year. Hopefully he can improve on his passing/build up play and get more chances as a result.

This should be a great group of forwards. Right now they are barely scratching playing good overall. It can change at any time, but it needs to start soon.
    That to me is the most concerning thing, they lost a couple Dmen who were good but not great players and the effect on their 5 on 5 play shouldn't be this drastic or cause everyone to get worse.
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 12-08-2017 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    Sheehy is not the same at all. Gates the "scoring machine" has five goals. Both seniors' production is down, with Bristedt's completely falling off a cliff. Reedy has been okay and McManus has disappeared. People will point to them being freshmen but in college hockey now freshmen should contribute. Ramsey/Romanko/Norman: Well...

Novak back is big. Pitlick has gotten better. Mittelstadt has the most pure skill but hasn't found all the magic yet.

Kinda makes you appreciate what guys like Kloos, Lettieri, and Bischoff brought to the table in leadership and scoring potential. Senior leadership is critical, especially in the post-season. There were a few games last year when this group bailed the team out of a pretty deep hole for the W. The crew this season is not a comeback team yet mainly because overall scoring is also down. Last season's 3.7 goals/game was the highest over the last five seasons, while this season's 2.8 is the lowest (averaging ~ 3.5).

I don't like to rag on players too much as they try to figure things out, but Leon Bristedt has been snake bit too long this season and probably needs to reevaluate his game. As Trix pointed out, this could be a chemistry issue. He's got wheels, but I haven't seen the same aggression around the net as in previous seasons.

It's funny, I don't know if there's anyone who hustles more than Romanko, and he's had a ****load of scoring chances, but as soon as moves in on net he shoots blanks...very frustrating to watch.

Unless the Gophers find another gear like NOW, this has all the earmarks of a disappointing season.

Well technically they just need to figure it out at the end of the year (barring a complete tank job and missing the playoffs, which isn't entirely out of the question but they've built a cushion). Unless you're talking about winning the conference too which is still possible but difficult.

Another road loss drops the Gophers from the 2nd band to the 3rd in the PWR. We lose tonight and we may end up relegated to the 4th.

1st goal by OSU was on Schierhorn moving from the right post in a standing position, then felt the need to drop to his knees and slide across the crease opening up the top of the net for a goal. Funny, he wasn't going down as much first few games of the season and even commented about it in an interview, but last few he's been off his game. Recalibration needed.

Looking ahead we've got Army at home end of Dec., then home and away with SCSU to start the second half on Jan 6-7. Unless USA totally bombs out of the WJC, Lindgren and Mittelstadt will be back on Jan. 4-5 and most likely a bit fatigued. The way this team and SCSU are playing, I don't have much confidence we can win a game against SCSU.

I hope I'm wrong, but it's entirely possible after these series the Gophers could be a bubble team or close to it unless they right the ship.

SCSU has kinda relied on hot goaltending and their PP to win games, theyíre good but idk if Iím as confident about them as say Denver.

Problem is we arenít playing any better than them at even strength AND our PP has been a disaster and unless Robson is really good, we donít have a hot goaltender like they do. So yeah Iíd tend to agree with you there based on what weíve seen so far.

Seeing Other People

Why isn't Schierhorn playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
    Why isn't Schierhorn playing?
    IMO, and called it last night:

1. What's he gonna do? Lose on the road?
    2. See what he can do now, instead of when MN *really* needs him, just in case.
    3. See number 1
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

It's time. This one hurts bad. Sorry, tDon, but please leave your ID badge at the door.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Thread Information