Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

Be interested in hearing what gopher fans have to say about the PP. It has apparently been weak so far this year. We are so used to UM killing you if you spend much time in the box. Just a case of young talent needing time to develop?

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    Be interested in hearing what gopher fans have to say about the PP. It has apparently been weak so far this year. We are so used to UM killing you if you spend much time in the box. Just a case of young talent needing time to develop?
    I think it is a number of things. 1) They are losing far too many face-offs on the power play. Hard to get things going when you are routinely starting off the PP without the puck. They lost Kloos and Lettieri, and Novak is coming back from injury. Need to improve in this area. 2) They are missing another right-handed shot. Getting Scott Reedy healthy will be big because I think he was starting to do a really good job in that spot. 3) I think they are really missing having a solid offensive defenseman that they have grown used to having with Schmidt, Riley, Bischoff, etc... Nannie has shown flashes. Will be interesting to see how he progresses in that role.

They donít seem to make quick decisions with the puck or move the D around enough to not get cornered/swarmed by the PK unit. Also not sure why itís set up as it currently is.

Basically they should have Sheehy and Pitlick on each side of the umbrella and one of their D up top obviously. Then get CM down low where he can play behind the net and time screens/tips in front of the goalie or be on the back door for a one timer. But you need multiple shooting threats who move the puck quickly to keep the D guessing rather than constantly being flat footed with no real plan.

A guy Sioux fans used to hate but would have loved to have was Kyle Rau. Gritty sparkplug with a lot of speed and talent. I didn't see anything like that this weekend. On either side.

A guy Sioux fans used to hate but would have loved to have was Kyle Rau. Gritty sparkplug with a lot of speed and talent. I didn't see anything like that this weekend. On either side.
    No doubt. Definitely a little short on grit right now.

Pitlick comes closest of anyone on the roster, at least in terms of stature, speed and overall ability. Where they differ most is their level of "grit".
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Minnesotaís team will be fine and will compete for the B1G title. They probably need a skilled puck-moving defenseman to consistently compete with elite teams like SCSU and Denver, but theyíll be a tourney team.

They do lack an identified QB from the blue line at the moment. Hopefully someone emerges to take on that role similarly to when Schmidt came out of nowhere.

Also is Cam Johnson always such a nozzle after the whistle? That guy got away with more than any other player from either team.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    They do lack an identified QB from the blue line at the moment. Hopefully someone emerges to take on that role similarly to when Schmidt came out of nowhere.

Also is Cam Johnson always such a nozzle after the whistle? That guy got away with more than any other player from either team.
    That's the first I ever saw of that behavior. He's got a reputation for being very chill (and not the weird chill goalies have). Maybe he's going off his rocker after four years of wind and endless prairie.

That's the first I ever saw of that behavior. He's got a reputation for being very chill (and not the weird chill goalies have). Maybe he's going off his rocker after four years of wind and endless prairie.
    Yeah, I donít recall any stuff with him. I donít recall any incidents at Mariucci last year but maybe thereís something we donít know about.

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Yeah, I donít recall any stuff with him. I donít recall any incidents at Mariucci last year but maybe thereís something we donít know about.
    I think he gets triggered when he sees maroon & gold after that punk from UMD ran him over unimpeded last year in the Frozen Faceoff. Canít tell difference from Minnesota and little sister Duluth uniforms?

Thread Information