Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Because somehow Don thinks “puck management” = intentionally throwing the puck away constantly.

But you’re right, this team is dumping it more than last year in the games I’ve tracked.
    The problem I have with Lucia's "get pucks deep" strategy is it allows opposing D time to position around the crease and box out. I must admit I'm growing weary of watching Gopher players kick and scrape along the walls and then if they do come up with the puck it goes back to the blueline for a shot into traffic. I assume the theory is put as many pucks on net as possible and something will eventually go in. But very few goals this season have gone in under that strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    The problem I have with Lucia's "get pucks deep" strategy is it allows opposing D time to position around the crease and box out. I must admit I'm growing weary of watching Gopher players kick and scrape along the walls and then if they do come up with the puck it goes back to the blueline for a shot into traffic. I assume the theory is put as many pucks on net as possible and something will eventually go in. But very few goals this season have gone in under that strategy.
    You’re dead on about all of this.

Honestly it reminds me of the Pittsburgh Penguins before they changed coaches and won 2 cups. Very similar makeup of the team (forward heavy and D is adequate but not great) and just not playing to their strengths ie speed. When you recruit guys like Cammy maybe dump and chase shouldn’t be the main strategy..:

I think a lot of it starts with the breakout, it seems like the BO strategy is for the forwards to come really far and bare the entire brunt of going through the neutral zone. And by that time the other team is back and ready to stop our zone entry. Not gonna get odd man rushes or as many clean entries that way. And if the Dmen never get involved in carrying the puck through the neutral zone or hitting some stretch passes it makes it that much easier to defend against.

The other thing I’ll say is if you dump there needs to be a forecheck, not a passive one man forecheck.
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 11-27-2017 at 12:36 PM.

2nd page on Wednesday of Stinkin badger week? Oh how we have fallen....

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post
    2nd page on Wednesday of Stinkin badger week? Oh how we have fallen....
    The UW thread has the same malaise. We still do hate each other, right?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

I must admit I'm growing weary of watching Gopher players kick and scrape along the walls and then if they do come up with the puck it goes back to the blueline for a shot into traffic.
    Interesting. They do throw it back to the point a lot. I wonder if the coaches are constantly practicing passing the puck around and that's training the guys to have a pass first mentality...looking for the perfect set up. The Gophers do seem to crash the net with numbers less often than other teams do. We just need more players like Kloos, Pitlick and just to show they don't have to all be top scorers, Romanko...who just drive to the net as hard as possible when ever they see even a small opening - rather than throwing it back to the point.
    Go Gophers!

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    The UW thread has the same malaise. We still do hate each other, right?
    Image result for badgers better dead than red

Anyone heard if the BADgers will go with the throwback uniforms this weekend?

Teaching you how to Bucky.

Maybe... Probably go with these though.

Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Let's go RED!

Those are cool. Where can I buy that jersey? At least there's no pee color on our uni's. Gross. Is the hockey team going to follow the FB team and have Goldy all over the helmets? With that kind of look no wonder they suck.

At least there's no pee color on our uni's.
    May I suggest drinking more water!?

At least there's no pee color on our uni's.
    That's in their jocks from repeatedly losing to Minnesota.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    May I suggest drinking more water!?
    So when I pee it shouldn't be a series of thick gelatinous glops into the toilet?

Lucia Apologist

That’s not pee. Stop looking at pictures of deer in the bathroom.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    That’s not pee. Stop looking at pictures of deer in the bathroom.
    That is gross but funny. Nice one.

So when I pee it shouldn't be a series of thick gelatinous glops into the toilet?
    If Hockey wasn't such a great family activity, I could really run with this one.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by MN Pond Hockey View Post
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    If Hockey wasn't such a great family activity, I could really run with this one.
    I didn't throw that one out there just to be ignored, though dxm took a swing.

The Gophers had a 6x4 with nearly 2 min. left with Berry and 2-3 Wisconsin players sprawling in the paint and couldn't put one in [sigh].

A couple earlier D lapses by Nanne committing a freshman faux pas by reaching in and getting burned bad by Malone for the tying goal, and an overskate by Glover opened a lane (cross ice pass by Linhart to Frederick) allowing Wisconsin to bury the GWG. Not sure I would play Glover much anymore...too many unforced errors.

Lots of talent, but still looking for that "killer instinct" in this team. Not there yet.

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

The Gophers had a 6x4 with nearly 2 min. left with Berry and 2-3 Wisconsin players sprawling in the paint and couldn't put one in [sigh].

A couple earlier D lapses by Nanne committing a freshman faux pas by reaching in and getting burned bad by Malone for the tying goal, and an overskate by Glover opened a lane (cross ice pass by Linhart to Frederick) allowing Wisconsin to bury the GWG. Not sure I would play Glover much anymore...too many unforced errors.

Lots of talent, but still looking for that "killer instinct" in this team. Not there yet.
    I only saw the last few minutes but wow, amazing they didn't tie the game.
    The Gophers really need to play with intensity to succeed. Once they start to play methodically they make silly mistakes, especially when they have the puck in their own end. They simply don't have enough talent defensively to slow down the game and/or play in a defensive shell.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

Vote Bullwinkle J. Moose For President in 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Greyeagle View Post
    The Gophers really need to play with intensity to succeed. Once they start to play methodically they make silly mistakes, especially when they have the puck in their own end. They simply don't have enough talent defensively to slow down the game and/or play in a defensive shell.
    Exactly, Schierhorn is also problematic if you’re gonna go into a shell. My hope is if Robson looks good they can open things up a little more kinda like they did at the end there with the Dmen pinching and being active in the offensive zone. Obviously I get why they’re more likely to do that if they’re behind but they shouldn’t have to wait until they’re behind to unleash their true offensive potential either.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyeagle View Post
    You nailed it. I saw some lethargic backcheck efforts on Sat. that cost the Gophers at least one goal. If you wanna win championships, you can't take plays off. I was taught playing with a sense of urgency is worth an extra goal a game. I don't see that urgency in this team yet.

Thread Information