Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Gophers move up to No. 5 this week in the USCHO poll, and No. 4 in the USA Today poll. Maybe a bit too optimistic for a team that's just 5-3?

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-mens-poll/
    http://www.uscho.com/rankings/usa-today-mens/
    Sure. Its more an assessment of talent than record. When you split at UND and lose in Duluth...you could still be pretty decent. The very early PWR has us missing the tournament. That should change in a week...#5 is much closer to reality of course.
    Go Gophers!

I know interest is down for the Gophers of late. But I was still surprised that there was no game story in the Sunday Pioneer Press. Nothing.

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    I know interest is down for the Gophers of late. But I was still surprised that there was no game story in the Sunday Pioneer Press. Nothing.
    There a church bulletins with better news coverage than the PP.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

Vote Bullwinkle J. Moose For President in 2016

Lucia Apologist

They donít even print their own paper anymore. The strib prints it.

Let's go Tech!

Gophers move up to No. 5 this week in the USCHO poll, and No. 4 in the USA Today poll. Maybe a bit too optimistic for a team that's just 5-3?

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-mens-poll/
    http://www.uscho.com/rankings/usa-today-mens/

5-3 against 8 ranked teams. You guys are right there in the mix for the top 3-8 in the country.
    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
    20 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017
    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017
    6 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017
    National Champions - 2014, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by FireKnight View Post
    5-3 against 8 ranked teams. You guys are right there in the mix for the top 3-8 in the country.
    I guess we'll see what they're all ranked at the end of the year. Union looked pretty terrible for the most part though they were a bit snake bit in that game. PSU has enough talent to make the tournament but their style of play is interesting to say the least. No Dak looks pretty solid defensively and with that D core it's hard to imagine them not being a playoff team. Clarkson looked alright, not sure if they're a playoff team or not. Duluth obviously was the first game of the year and all so it's hard to make a lot of it but they look mediocre at best thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    I guess we'll see what they're all ranked at the end of the year.
    It is pretty cool that four of the Top 10 ranked teams are based in Minnesota. Current ranking and number of Minnesotans rostered on each:

2. St. Cloud State......14
    5. Minnesota.............21
    8. Minnesota Duluth...17
    9. Minnesota State.....11
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

On the subject of national rankings, number of teams from conferences ranked in the USCHO Top 20 this week:

Big Ten: 5
    NCHC: 4
    ECAC: 4
    HE: 4
    WCHA: 2
    AHC: 1

Lots of parity across the nation. First time since B1G began to have 5 teams ranked in Top 20 with Michigan on the doorstep at #21. That all adds up to a very challenging season for the Gophers to repeat as Big Ten Champs.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    First time since B1G began to have 5 teams ranked in Top 20 with Michigan on the doorstep at #21. That all adds up to a very challenging season for the Gophers to repeat as Big Ten Champs.
    That defense of the league championship begins this weekend! Looking forward to seeing a much improved Michigan State team.

That defense of the league championship begins this weekend! Looking forward to seeing a much improved Michigan State team.
    Must have games.
    Go Gophers!

What's it like to officiate UND-Minnesota games?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...innesota-games
    Meant to respond earlier.....

"I loved it," Shepherd said. "There's pressure, but I thought it was one of the easier games to call because you didn't have to make anything up."

'Make it up?' Refs shouldn't be making things up, just calling things according to the rules.

Although I do remember a fun story from Buzzy Christian. (For those of you younger folk, Buzzy was a WCHA ref who displayed his dislike for the Gophers (other than those who hailed from his home town) by what appeared to be colorful penalty calling against the Gophs. When I was younger, I didn't really follow who the refs were, but I knew exactly who Buzzy was and noticed when he was on the ice to call a Gopher game. ( I since found out that even through my lingering hatred of the guy, I couldn't help but admit he is a really good guy in all other ways.)

He was calling a Sioux vs. Badger Friday night game in the height of their rivalry. A Sioux player was pulled down on a break-away so Buzzy awarded a penalty shot. (Of course a player who had been on the ice during the infraction had to take it.) So Gino sends out Tony Hrkac to take the shot. Buzzy tells Gino it has to be a player that was on the ice and Gino swears he was on the ice. So Hrkac scores and UND wins by 1 that night.

Well Buzzy has a recording of the game so goes back to his room and watches the play and sees that Hrkac was NOT on the ice at the time of the infraction. So on Saturday, shortly after the start of the game he calls a ticky tacky penalty on UND. Gino complains to Buzzy and Buzzy points out that he knows Gino lied the night before. Buzzy proceeds to call two more marginal calls until Wisconsin finally gets a PP goal.

And I'll admit, while I want refs to be unbiased, the fact this occurred in a UND/Wis series is just fine by me.

Great story, Koho. Them were the days...

That's hilarious

That is great. Thanks for the Buzzy Christian memory and **** Gino.

Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post
    Meant to respond earlier.....

"I loved it," Shepherd said. "There's pressure, but I thought it was one of the easier games to call because you didn't have to make anything up."

'Make it up?' Refs shouldn't be making things up, just calling things according to the rules.

Although I do remember a fun story from Buzzy Christian. (For those of you younger folk, Buzzy was a WCHA ref who displayed his dislike for the Gophers (other than those who hailed from his home town) by what appeared to be colorful penalty calling against the Gophs. When I was younger, I didn't really follow who the refs were, but I knew exactly who Buzzy was and noticed when he was on the ice to call a Gopher game. ( I since found out that even through my lingering hatred of the guy, I couldn't help but admit he is a really good guy in all other ways.)

He was calling a Sioux vs. Badger Friday night game in the height of their rivalry. A Sioux player was pulled down on a break-away so Buzzy awarded a penalty shot. (Of course a player who had been on the ice during the infraction had to take it.) So Gino sends out Tony Hrkac to take the shot. Buzzy tells Gino it has to be a player that was on the ice and Gino swears he was on the ice. So Hrkac scores and UND wins by 1 that night.

Well Buzzy has a recording of the game so goes back to his room and watches the play and sees that Hrkac was NOT on the ice at the time of the infraction. So on Saturday, shortly after the start of the game he calls a ticky tacky penalty on UND. Gino complains to Buzzy and Buzzy points out that he knows Gino lied the night before. Buzzy proceeds to call two more marginal calls until Wisconsin finally gets a PP goal.

And I'll admit, while I want refs to be unbiased, the fact this occurred in a UND/Wis series is just fine by me.
    It's an entertaining story, but it's not true, or at least that account isn't accurate.

Tony Hrkac played two different seasons for UND -- 1984-85, then the 1986-87 famed "Hrkac Circus" season.

In 1984-85 UND did not play at home against Wisconsin. The WCHA was in the middle of it's deal with HE where the WCHA vs HE games also counted in the standings, so we had fewer games against traditional WCHA teams.

In 1986-87 UND did play two at home against Wisconsin. But UND won both easily, 9-4 and 6-2. No one goal games decided by controversial penalty shots.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Series preview

'U' RETURNS TO B1G ACTION AGAINST MSU
    http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...gn=GopherDaily

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    It's an entertaining story, but it's not true, or at least that account isn't accurate.

Tony Hrkac played two different seasons for UND -- 1984-85, then the 1986-87 famed "Hrkac Circus" season.

In 1984-85 UND did not play at home against Wisconsin. The WCHA was in the middle of it's deal with HE where the WCHA vs HE games also counted in the standings, so we had fewer games against traditional WCHA teams.

In 1986-87 UND did play two at home against Wisconsin. But UND won both easily, 9-4 and 6-2. No one goal games decided by controversial penalty shots.
    The teams played twice in Madison that year (1986-87). Badgers lost 5-4 Friday night and 2-1 Saturday night. Obviously they needed Buzzy to keep giving them calls on Saturday night so they could have scored more than one.
    Last edited by Great Day for Hockey; 11-02-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Series preview

'U' RETURNS TO B1G ACTION AGAINST MSU
    http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...gn=GopherDaily
    Actually surprised at how close this series is. The last 8 games have largely gone our way...but before that, the Gophers were up by just 10 games in well over 100.
    Go Gophers!

Quote Originally Posted by Great Day for Hockey View Post
    The teams played twice in Madison that year (1986-87). Badgers lost 5-4 Friday night and 2-1 Saturday night. Obviously they needed Buzzy to keep giving them calls on Saturday night so they could have scored more than one.
    Ah, got it. Not sure why I read the original post as indicating the games were in North Dakota. Probably because I couldn't imagine getting a penalty shot in Madison.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Nice article (and embedded video) on CM in the Strib this morning. As the article mentions the team could really use more production from several of their returning returning top scorers from last season. So far the "RPM" line has been carrying the bulk of the load offensively.

Casey Mittelstadt lifting Gophers with strong start to college career
    http://www.startribune.com/casey-mit...eer/454779223/

Thread Information