Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
Results 541 to 560 of 686

Thread: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

  1. #541
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,991

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by Koho View Post
    6. I hope they pull together a much better effort tonight.
    To me, that was the worst thing. There were stretches where the Gophers looked lackadaisical and disinterested. Got outworked and pinned in their own end for far too long, too many times. Another thing that was very obvious is that the Huskies do a very good job of moving their feet when they don't have the puck, creating openings and good opportunities. Meanwhile the Gophers would-be receivers of passes are often stationery, making them too easy to defend. Yes, St. Cloud is talented and deep, but I attribute most of the difference in their style of play to coaching.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    From what I have learned:

    The Novak thing was just found out yesterday afternoon.
    It's not hockey-related.
    Out for a "couple more weeks" according to tDon
    Slipped on some ice perhaps? In any case, very unfortunate however it happened - he will be missed and we can only hope he won't be out too long.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  2. #542
    Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Hockey Mecca
    Posts
    26,512

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    To me, that was the worst thing. There were stretches where the Gophers looked lackadaisical and disinterested. Got outworked and pinned in their own end for far too long, too many times. Another thing that was very obvious is that the Huskies do a very good job of moving their feet when they don't have the puck, creating openings and good opportunities. Meanwhile the Gophers would-be receivers of passes are often stationery, making them too easy to defend. Yes, St. Cloud is talented and deep, but I attribute most of the difference in their style of play to coaching.
    I can't imagine what the postage cost was to mail in that awful effort.
    At least they used a better vendor to mail in the game than they did to get equipment to the game.
    Last edited by Greyeagle; 01-07-2018 at 12:12 PM.

    Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions


    Vote Bullwinkle J. Moose For President in 2016

  3. #543
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,083

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

    Wonder if they try Rem at Center, he used to do it and is a better playmaker than Sheehy.

    Will be interesting to see how we look tonight, if itís anything like last night then yeah we should be very worried. And without Novak itís gonna he tough to control play against a good team. This team has not been consistently bad, theyíve had good games but that was also when fully healthy.
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 01-07-2018 at 01:20 PM.

  4. #544
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    22,989

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

    Highlight of the night was getting an awkward group photo with a couple SCSU players after the game. 😆

  5. #545
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    641

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Highlight of the night was getting an awkward group photo with a couple SCSU players after the game. 😆
    That does sound awkward.

  6. #546
    SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The People's Republic of Madison
    Posts
    2,491

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

    Hijack time,
    For those of you who go to Wild games, is Tom Reid's still the best place to talk hockey and BS a couple hours before the game?
    I haven't been to a Wild game for a couple years, but will be going Saturday. Gonna stop in Rochester where MCRJr lives and he'll drive up from there.
    Thanks, boys!

  7. #547
    Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Hockey Mecca
    Posts
    26,512

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    Hijack time,
    For those of you who go to Wild games, is Tom Reid's still the best place to talk hockey and BS a couple hours before the game?
    I haven't been to a Wild game for a couple years, but will be going Saturday. Gonna stop in Rochester where MCRJr lives and he'll drive up from there.
    Thanks, boys!
    Still a good spot.

    Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions


    Vote Bullwinkle J. Moose For President in 2016

  8. #548
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    3,161
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    Hijack time,
    For those of you who go to Wild games, is Tom Reid's still the best place to talk hockey and BS a couple hours before the game?
    I haven't been to a Wild game for a couple years, but will be going Saturday. Gonna stop in Rochester where MCRJr lives and he'll drive up from there.
    Thanks, boys!
    Yes it is but get there early if you want to sit

  9. #549
    Legend in everybodys mind
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bloomington, MN
    Posts
    7,788

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by icehawk View Post
    Yes it is but get there early if you want to sit
    Yep, the Wild are now the most popular hockey team in MN, WI, Iowa, ND, and SD. They are huge and their fan base is growing all the time.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!
    Blogs.
    https://twitter.com/hammyhockey
    http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/
    http://twitter.com/CHeisenberg]
    http://www.gopherpucklive.com/
    My website

  10. #550
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    3,161
    Quote Originally Posted by 4four4 View Post
    Yep, the Wild are now the most popular hockey team in MN, WI, Iowa, ND, and SD. They are huge and their fan base is growing all the time.
    Doh-Kay

  11. #551
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    111,570

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    Hijack time,
    For those of you who go to Wild games, is Tom Reid's still the best place to talk hockey and BS a couple hours before the game?
    I haven't been to a Wild game for a couple years, but will be going Saturday. Gonna stop in Rochester where MCRJr lives and he'll drive up from there.
    Thanks, boys!
    First off, stop at Forager in Rochester and pick up some good beer. And yeah, Reid's is okay. Moe's is solid, and they do have a New Bohemia there on 7th now. The Liffey is always solid as well. All are on 7th.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  12. #552
    Legend in everybodys mind
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bloomington, MN
    Posts
    7,788

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    First off, stop at Forager in Rochester and pick up some good beer. And yeah, Reid's is okay. Moe's is solid, and they do have a New Bohemia there on 7th now. The Liffey is always solid as well. All are on 7th.
    I second the Forager stop. That's a solid brewery.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!
    Blogs.
    https://twitter.com/hammyhockey
    http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/
    http://twitter.com/CHeisenberg]
    http://www.gopherpucklive.com/
    My website

  13. #553
    SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The People's Republic of Madison
    Posts
    2,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    First off, stop at Forager in Rochester and pick up some good beer. And yeah, Reid's is okay. Moe's is solid, and they do have a New Bohemia there on 7th now. The Liffey is always solid as well. All are on 7th.
    MCRJr has only been in Rochester since Nov., but he's well aware of Forager! Moe's & Reid's have been regular stops for us....probably will continue. Always great hawkey tawk.

  14. #554
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    3,161
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    MCRJr has only been in Rochester since Nov., but he's well aware of Forager! Moe's & Reid's have been regular stops for us....probably will continue. Always great hawkey tawk.
    Not sure if any of you have been to the Gopher Bar or not but itís my favorite dive bar to go to before a game too. Coney Dogs are the bomb.

  15. #555
    SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The People's Republic of Madison
    Posts
    2,491
    Quote Originally Posted by icehawk View Post
    Not sure if any of you have been to the Gopher Bar or not but itís my favorite dive bar to go to before a game too. Coney Dogs are the bomb.
    I'll draw the line at anything with gopher in it. 😉

  16. #556
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    3,161
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    I'll draw the line at anything with gopher in it. 😉
    Hey I thought I would too but itís not full of maroon and gold. It actually has a Sioux jersey hanging behind the bar.

  17. #557
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,991

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

    Just got back from the game, what a barn-burner! I'll give credit where credit is due: St. Cloud State is a seriously good hockey team. The Gophers needed great goaltending and a healthy dose of luck to pull this one out. But we'll take it...
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  18. #558
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    642

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

    I tried to tell the SCSU fans that both our team's resumes predicted exactly this outcome, both teams play stellar at home, and both teams play pretty badly at home.

  19. #559
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    111,570

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    MCRJr has only been in Rochester since Nov., but he's well aware of Forager! Moe's & Reid's have been regular stops for us....probably will continue. Always great hawkey tawk.
    Pudding Goggles....*drool*
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  20. #560
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    641

    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Just got back from the game, what a barn-burner! I'll give credit where credit is due: St. Cloud State is a seriously good hockey team. The Gophers needed great goaltending and a healthy dose of luck to pull this one out. But we'll take it...
    What stands out for me with SCSU is their tenacity in winning puck battles, positioning and moving the puck. Last time the Gophers beat a #1 team was BC 8-1 in Dec. 2012. With Notre Dame sweeping Mich and extending their NCAA leading winning streak to 15 games, I think one could argue ND is the #1 team though.

    After a plethora of scoring chances this season, nice to see Darian "workhorse" Romanko finally get rewarded and score the biggest goal of his Gopher career thus far.

    Apparently Lindgren, who watched the game on TV the night before, had some choice words with the team in the locker room before the game. The Gophers responded and played solid D blocking 20 shots vs SCSU's 7. Despite being outshot for most of the game, Robson looked very poised in net. Like to see more starts from him.

    Bad news was the Gophers were 0/6 on the PP for the weekend as it continues to take a nosedive now at 12.7%. Does anyone know, is Bell running the PP?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •