MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

Good thing we get to try that one again.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
      Good thing we get to try that one again.
      There will be nights like that. Doesn't help when we're rolling 3 lines and are a very important D-man down.

Comment

• Originally posted by owslachief View Post
        There will be nights like that. Doesn't help when we're rolling 3 lines and are a very important D-man down.
        I see that Osburn was out all weekend. I wonder how long they expect him to be out.

So close to surpassing last season's win total. Losing a lead late will always be disappointing but it 2 points on the night is a great bounce back.

I also saw our lineup consisted almost entirely of underclassmen. Only Sanford and Gatt were veterans.

And ho boy, it sounds like the team has their work cut out for them with Norte Dame coming to town. Would be pretty cool to bust that winning streak of theirs.

Comment

Add Daniel Russell in 3 or 4 years. A sniper from Fox U16. Has almost a goal a game.

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
            Add Daniel Russell in 3 or 4 years. A sniper from Fox U16. Has almost a goal a game.
            Nice commit.

Looks like he's a teammate of blueliner and fellow 2020-21 commit Michael Feenstra, and leads his team with 18 points in 12 games.

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
              Also the son of former spartan Kerry Russell (87-91)... Sounds like a good one.

Comment

Exeter might run out of work to do for a couple years at this rate.

Comment

Exeter might run out of work to do for a couple years at this rate.
                  Quite a stockpile there alright Though I'm sure some more will fall by the wayside or switch before it's over

Comment

Only singles left for tonight, and tomorrow looks pretty full too.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Two loses, but lots of encouraging signs. This is a team that is getting better. The first period on Friday was domination of ND, something I never expected.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                        Two loses, but lots of encouraging signs. This is a team that is getting better. The first period on Friday was domination of ND, something I never expected.
                        Tough weekend. Friday, I thought MSU looked the better team 2 out of 3 periods and we perhaps deserved a win. Last night, ND showed their record. Team defense was suffocating and they were unflappable in every phase of the game.

We're learning that despite Cole squeezing more juice out of this team than we expected he would, the B1G is a hell of a conference this year and tough lessons surely still lay ahead.

We could use a bye week. Milan has been out. Apap and Kaner left last night's game and never returned. Apap fell awkwardly along the boards and Kamer took a shot to the mid-section.

Comment

Tough weekend. Friday, I thought MSU looked the better team 2 out of 3 periods and we perhaps deserved a win. Last night, ND showed their record. Team defense was suffocating and they were unflappable in every phase of the game.

We're learning that despite Cole squeezing more juice out of this team than we expected he would, the B1G is a hell of a conference this year and tough lessons surely still lay ahead.

We could use a bye week. Milan has been out. Apap and Kaner left last night's game and never returned. Apap fell awkwardly along the boards and Kamer took a shot to the mid-section.
                          So much stacked against MSU coming in. As I approached game time I'd hoped that an early Spartan goal against Morris would flap that unflappable goalie. So task #1 one was accomplished. Unfortunately, he took MSU's best shots (and there were chances aplenty), and just grew with the game.

There's obstacle #1 and a big one.

The other of course is this is a beat up squad right now. If you thought this team was young, it was REALLY young come Friday. Of course, the only senior forward was a no-show - I gather this continues to be a coaches decision; Osburn (junior) was still out, and Milan (junior) was as well. So there's one senior d-man, one junior forward, and the rest.

I don't use this as an excuse for coming away empty this weekend ... we've seen how that class has carried the team so far this year. But with youth comes a little bit of frustration resulting from being stymied time after time, and that frustration revealed itself a bit Saturday. The usual crispness we've seen to date was gone. Some things that we saw last year crept into the Spartans' game Saturday. There wasn't the confidence we have seen. Granted, if you have been following the last couple months you know Notre Dame was capable of lot more and came out rocking the forecheck right out of the gate Saturday, but the first minute and a half was probably the worst MSU's looked this season. I give our boys credit for fighting through it the rest of the game, but they were always chasing, not controlling.

They get no rest this coming weekend, UM is big and fast and skilled, though hopefully, MSU's usual emotion and adrenaline will be a factor and the other squad will make some youthful mistakes. I should mention MSU has a better goalie .

Comment

Saturday was frustrating because while ND controlled play, we held in there and had a couple blown chances, especially on 2 on 1's. We just didn't come out to play for the first 90 seconds and it bit us.

Looks like Morris has some competition for the Richter Award, and certainly has a strong defense in front of him to help, but darn if it didn't feel anything but hopeless at times when we were actually able to get the offense set up. The Irish may already have the conference title locked up. Up 9 points, and that's on two teams with two more games played. The next best team with 8 games played is 11 points back.

Time for a couple winnable games this weekend and a chance to get out of the cellar.
                            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I see a split this week-end against the West Ypsi, Community College. And I think, MSU has a good shot at GLI. This past week-end was a bit disappointing, but I expected a ND sweep by a lot more goals then what it ended being. Heck of a lot better then last year.

Comment

**** you Michigan. Have a nice day.

Comment

Working...
                                X