Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
    The effort was good tonight, except Schierhorn was unhumanly good. The KHL line whew! But I'm pretty sure Schierhorn is an alien. Lethemon's not bad either. In fact, how do you take the job away from him right now?
    Gopher radio announcers gave their No. 1 Star of the Game to Schierhorn, and I thought he deserved it too.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

The effort was good tonight, except Schierhorn was unhumanly good. The KHL line whew! But I'm pretty sure Schierhorn is an alien. Lethemon's not bad either. In fact, how do you take the job away from him right now?
      I was impressed last night. If we could have just capitalized on a couple of those 2 on 1s maybe we escape with a point or two. If anyone but Schierhorn is in net for the Gophers we probably win.
      PP could have done a little better just being able to set something up in the zone, but other than that the team exceeded expectations.

Bad non-con night. UM goes down to Ferris, UW to Nodak, and PSU to Mercyhurst.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
        I was impressed last night. If we could have just capitalized on a couple of those 2 on 1s maybe we escape with a point or two. If anyone but Schierhorn is in net for the Gophers we probably win.
        PP could have done a little better just being able to set something up in the zone, but other than that the team exceeded expectations.

Bad non-con night. UM goes down to Ferris, UW to Nodak, and PSU to Mercyhurst.
        Good assessment. I saw far too many odd man rushes and the D where not as sharp as they can be last night. Schierhorn is on pace for his career best season. It's interesting to see how quickly improved MSU's puck movement is now compared to the Anastos era.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
          Good assessment. I saw far too many odd man rushes and the D where not as sharp as they can be last night. Schierhorn is on pace for his career best season. It's interesting to see how quickly improved MSU's puck movement is now compared to the Anastos era.
          For sure. Their improved puck movement led to more time & space. Last night's result: MSU actually out-chanced Minny. I think the host team has more to show though. I don't think I've seen Lucia that ornery.

UPDATE
          The host team had more to show.
          Last edited by owslachief; 11-04-2017, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Reality check

Actually felt pretty good as a fan following Friday, though the Spartans came up short.

Then Saturday happened. It's a bit of a blow, but it knocked some sense into me. Reminds me that (a) Minnesota's next gear is pretty high and (b) MSU may have quite a long, long road ahead.

Comment

Actually felt pretty good as a fan following Friday, though the Spartans came up short.

Then Saturday happened. It's a bit of a blow, but it knocked some sense into me. Reminds me that (a) Minnesota's next gear is pretty high and (b) MSU may have quite a long, long road ahead.
              Agree, but we’re heading in the right direction...I was hoping for 1 win out of these 4 against two very good teams.

FYI Friday is a MSUFCU game..encourage friends to pick up free tickets and make Munn jump.
              Last edited by wsummers; 11-07-2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

How are people feeling about this weekend? Wisky seems to be a solid team but I think we can get a W. I hope we can at least split. I harbor few illusions of climbing out of the B1G basement this season but 0-4 to start league play has a nasty ring to it.

Comment

Press release from MSU says parking will be $10 at all public lots tonight with Men's Basketball and Hockey, Women's Volleyball, and Swimming & Diving all having events at the same time tonight. Also obviously the Beslin Center Lots will be closed to basketball only with hockey parking passes being routed to the football stadium's south lot 79 I believe. Will be interesting to see what kind of crowd shows up this weekend.

Predictions Fri: MSU 4-2 Sat: Wisc 4-3

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                    How are people feeling about this weekend? Wisky seems to be a solid team but I think we can get a W. I hope we can at least split. I harbor few illusions of climbing out of the B1G basement this season but 0-4 to start league play has a nasty ring to it.
                    I'm saying a win+.

Comment

Decent crowd tonight. Wonder how much of that was due to MSUFCU. Guess we'll find out tomorrow. No football to interfere this time.

I'm wondering if Minney has played his last minutes of the season, at least in meaningful games. That's six goals in 25 minutes, good for a 14.4 GAA

Might get a little chippy tomorrow. The third was full of hits and some extra curricular action.

The turnover to start the third was bad, and ultimately led to what could be considered an early end to the game. Outcome wasn't in doubt after that. Besides that, we got outplayed, but it was different than last year. Last year we just looked incompetent. This time around it was just an okay team getting beat by a really good team. I didn't realize until reading some stuff tonight that Granato isn't even with the team right now. He's off this week in Germany with the Olympic team.

Here's to a better result tomorrow.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Now that you've played both Minny & Wiscy who do you think is better?
                        Originally posted by alfablue
                        Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                        Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

I missed last Saturday's blowout, but based on the Friday games I would have to say Wisconsin. Minnesota was 50/50, MSU missed a few wide open nets on 2 on 1's that could've given them the win. Last night Wisconsin dominated all but about eight minutes of action.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                            Now that you've played both Minny & Wiscy who do you think is better?
                            I thought overall Minny, but Wisc was very good in the first period.

Comment

Luckily we were able to survive that first period. Well, more than survive since we capitalized on that PP. Before that though, that was ugly. No shots or even face off wins for the first 12 minutes. Second period was pretty even, we just went to the box too much. We jumped on them to start the third, then Wisconsin seemed to take over after the insurance goal.

KHL line came through again last night. In fact, those three plus Milan account for 60% of our points.

Another thing I saw looking through the stats is Apap was 6-14 on faceoffs. Ouch. Even with that, he's still the best faceoff man on the team.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                                Luckily we were able to survive that first period. Well, more than survive since we capitalized on that PP. Before that though, that was ugly. No shots or even face off wins for the first 12 minutes. Second period was pretty even, we just went to the box too much. We jumped on them to start the third, then Wisconsin seemed to take over after the insurance goal.

KHL line came through again last night. In fact, those three plus Milan account for 60% of our points.

Another thing I saw looking through the stats is Apap was 6-14 on faceoffs. Ouch. Even with that, he's still the best faceoff man on the team.
                                Speaking of KHL, Khoderenko had a monster game last night, including a brilliant steal on a Wiscy breakout to setup the second goal. And Lewandowsky looks like a junior goal-scorer with his one-timers.

I think right up there with my favorite moments last night - a 5-on-5 stretch where MSU kept the puck in UW's end for about solid minute and half, and they had to finally ice the puck and use their timeout. When have we done that against a top-10 team lately?

Out willingness to block shots.

Finally, laurels for Lethalman.

Comment

Working...
                                X