Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 105

Thread: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

  1. #41
    Hockey fan with an MSU bias
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    221

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    How was that for some fun? Two delayed penalty goals, I think two PP goals, and overall good puck movement. It's crazy how much better we are at simply passing the puck and keeping it in the zone. No more skips over sticks or just plain off-the-mark passes. Oh, and first sweep in a year and a half!

    LSSU's goalie gave up a lot of rebounds. I'm starting to see how Denver put up 129 over two days.

    Only downside of tonight was the third period. I'm not sure if the team let up, or Cole told them to take a little easier so it wouldn't get chippy, but it didn't have that same intensity as the first two periods. And the 5 on 3 could have been better. Worked the puck around but didn't get off a quality shot. Odd contrast to the regular PP, so maybe it's just a matter of not practicing enough?

    Wait, one more downside. The Lake State fan who screamed one word phrases in a shrill voice. NET! SKATE! GO!

    Next week will be an interesting test. By far the most talented team we'll face, but they haven't set the world on fire. A couple TV games next week, too!
    Danton chose not to play the top line the last 12 minutes of the game because we were in control of the game and they only had two shifts total in the 3rd... So he wanted to give those other guys a chance on the 5 on 3 powerplay and the rest of the period. It also gave some rest to the HKL line before Minnesota this weekend.

    I agree this weekend will be interesting to see how we compete on the road against a very good team.

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    324

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    I had to miss Saturday's game so it looks like I missed a very rare relaxing win.

    I feel a little bad it was Whitten, York and LSSU we had to beat up all weekend. I'd like to see that program succeed under them.

    Hard not to be very pleased with what we've seen so far but the next month will show us what this team is made of. An Anastos team would go on a 5 week losing streak right about now so let's hope Cole can continue to get this team to break old habits.
    Last edited by Pirateasaur; 10-30-2017 at 11:08 AM.

  3. #43
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    6,484

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Only downside of tonight was the third period. I'm not sure if the team let up, or Cole told them to take a little easier so it wouldn't get chippy, but it didn't have that same intensity as the first two periods. And the 5 on 3 could have been better. Worked the puck around but didn't get off a quality shot. Odd contrast to the regular PP, so maybe it's just a matter of not practicing enough?
    3rd period - more minutes from guys who haven't seen a lot of ice time - Pavelek, Crzcek etc. - plus it looked like more a keep-away style down the stretch.

  4. #44
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    6,484

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    Some little factoids pointed out in today's CHN article
    https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...Pound-LSSU.php

    * It's the first time MSU has won 4 games in October since 2009-10 (oddly, Torey Krug's first year here).
    * It's MSU's best record in October since going 3-0-3 in 2010-11. In other words, two coaches ago.

    One additional thing - Mitchell Lewandowki's 9 points in 6 games. With that he's tied with two others at #1 among all D1 freshmen.

  5. #45
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    6,637

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    Quote Originally Posted by gomsuman View Post
    Danton chose not to play the top line the last 12 minutes of the game because we were in control of the game and they only had two shifts total in the 3rd... So he wanted to give those other guys a chance on the 5 on 3 powerplay and the rest of the period. It also gave some rest to the HKL line before Minnesota this weekend.

    I agree this weekend will be interesting to see how we compete on the road against a very good team.
    That would explain it. Even better that we still out shot them and kept the shutout.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

    2016-17 Spartan Hockey
    Jerseys: 7 Wins: 7


    Go State! Beat Penn State
    7-5-0 (1-3-0-0, t-6th B1G)


    1966, 1986, 2007

    Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

  6. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    326

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    I be happy. Great start to the season. PP at 25%. Need to work on the PK. Goal scoring is up. Goals against is down.
    Have a player in the top 25 of scoring in the country. Lethamon's save percentage is around 0.910. Good sweep. Just sorry it was against Whitten and York.
    Go Green!

  7. #47
    Hockey fan with an MSU bias
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    221

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    That would explain it. Even better that we still out shot them and kept the shutout.
    He said so on radio interview after the game. I didn't notice during the game either. Made sense to me when he explained it.

  8. #48
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    6,484

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    Quote Originally Posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
    I be happy. Great start to the season. PP at 25%. Need to work on the PK. Goal scoring is up. Goals against is down.
    Have a player in the top 25 of scoring in the country. Lethamon's save percentage is around 0.910. Good sweep. Just sorry it was against Whitten and York.
    Go Green!
    Two of them in fact! The H and L of the "KHL" line ... and with fewer games in than most of the country. I just hope the "H" sticks around for another couple years .

  9. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by owslachief View Post
    Two of them in fact! The H and L of the "KHL" line ... and with fewer games in than most of the country. I just hope the "H" sticks around for another couple years .
    It's still early but I think if they stick together for another year the can be one of the best lines in the B1G. Maybe THE best? Hard to imagine after the chronic offensive drought this program has been through.

  10. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    324

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    As for this weekend, Minny is only 5-3 so far but they've played a pretty tough schedule. I anticipate this being one of the toughest tests for this team the entire year.

  11. #51
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    6,484

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    It's still early but I think if they stick together for another year the can be one of the best lines in the B1G. Maybe THE best? Hard to imagine after the chronic offensive drought this program has been through.
    Heck, they're already on pace to top Kennedy-Abdelkader-Crowder of 2007-08 . Those guys couldn't even register a point a game .

    Oh yyyyeeaaaahhh - there's still the Big 10 competition to come.

  12. #52
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    6,484

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    Just picked up our first 2020-21 D-man commit: Michael Feenstra from the Fox Motors U16 team. These guys keep getting bigger; as a 16-year-old, he's 6'2 168#

  13. #53
    Section T since 1978
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    DeWitt, MI, USA
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by owslachief View Post
    Just picked up our first 2020-21 D-man commit: Michael Feenstra from the Fox Motors U16 team. These guys keep getting bigger; as a 16-year-old, he's 6'2 168#
    By my count thatís 13 future Spartans recruited by Cole so far. On the other side at least 4 players commited to the A team are no longer coming.

    For next year, scheduled incoming: 1 goaltender, 2 dmen, 5 forwards to replace 3 players to graduation, plus a possible player or two leaving.

  14. #54
    Section T since 1978
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    DeWitt, MI, USA
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    It's still early but I think if they stick together for another year the can be one of the best lines in the B1G. Maybe THE best? Hard to imagine after the chronic offensive drought this program has been through.
    Not sure if they will be the best line, but after a few years of 3 third lines, itís nice to have a line that actually is a threat to score when they are on the ice.

  15. #55
    Hockey fan with an MSU bias
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    221

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    Quote Originally Posted by wsummers View Post
    By my count that’s 13 future Spartans recruited by Cole so far. On the other side at least 4 players commited to the A team are no longer coming.

    For next year, scheduled incoming: 1 goaltender, 2 dmen, 5 forwards to replace 3 players to graduation, plus a possible player or two leaving.
    Joe Exter must really know how to recruit. Cole has said many times he is the head guy when it comes to recruiting.

    Also interesting to see guys committed to Anastos no longer coming. Is it Cole no longer wanting those guys? Or those guys not wanting to play for Cole?

  16. #56
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    6,484

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    Quote Originally Posted by gomsuman View Post
    Joe Exter must really know how to recruit. Cole has said many times he is the head guy when it comes to recruiting.

    Also interesting to see guys committed to Anastos no longer coming. Is it Cole no longer wanting those guys? Or those guys not wanting to play for Cole?
    That is typical as I understand it.

    The first one to jump ship was Noah Lalonde, who is a 2018 commit to LSSU. I see that Bederka (D) and Moyle (F) are no longer committed and have not announced to another school. Are there others?

  17. #57
    Section T since 1978
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    DeWitt, MI, USA
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by owslachief View Post
    That is typical as I understand it.

    The first one to jump ship was Noah Lalonde, who is a 2018 commit to LSSU. I see that Bederka (D) and Moyle (F) are no longer committed and have not announced to another school. Are there others?
    Ty Farmer is also now uncommitted even though he signed.

  18. #58
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    6,484

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    Quote Originally Posted by wsummers View Post
    Ty Farmer is also now uncommitted even though he signed.
    Geez, yes there it is. I assume because he's waiting for at least 2018-19 to land a spot on an NCAA team (if NCAA is his thing), it's no "major penalty" to him.

    EliteProspects.com last showed him as a 2018-19 freshman for MSU. Way back when he was on track as a 2016-17 freshman, his development suffered a setback with an injury, and the previous regime rightly asked him to work on his game another year. I can then imagine that DC over the summer asked him to work on his game for an additional year, and TF had had enough.

  19. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    324

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    We hardly have any roster spots opening up the next two years. I'm not sure how Cole will manage the roster in the future because chronic lopsided class sizes do not promote program consistency.

    Also, if we snag any points in Minneapolis this weekend I will be happy.
    Last edited by Pirateasaur; 11-03-2017 at 05:07 PM.

  20. #60
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    6,484

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    The effort was good tonight, except Schierhorn was unhumanly good. The KHL line whew! But I'm pretty sure Schierhorn is an alien. Lethemon's not bad either. In fact, how do you take the job away from him right now?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •