Clear All

Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

Bring out the brooms!
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Two sweeps this season. That is more hen in the last three years or so. And it's not yet Thanksgiving.
      Good job boys!

Comment

Originally posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
        Two sweeps this season. That is more hen in the last three years or so. And it's not yet Thanksgiving.
        Good job boys!
        Quite a few first time's - long-time's so far.

Comment

If the season ended today we would be in the NCAA playoffs! We are up to #10 in the pairwise...

Also no surprise but Lewendowski is now the leading freshman scorer in the nation.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
            Osburn is literally skating backwards on one foot. Must have been one painful ankle block
            I caught a few of those back when I played and would be left limping for days. Not fun. He should be good to go for PSU but might be limited in practice this week.
            Last edited by Pirateasaur; 11-19-2017, 11:53 PM.

Comment

A second sweep? I was pretty sure we were only allowed 1 of those per season, at most.

Lewandowski just has the magic right now. I cannot remember the last MSU player with such a hot stick. It has to have been a decade. Last year I recall seeing PSU's Smirnov put up huge numbers as a freshman and it frustrated me that MSU, year after year, could barely get anybody over the 10 goal mark. If Cole can recruit a couple more goal scorers to stick on the 2nd or 3rd lines then we may finall see a prolific offense in East Lansing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                A second sweep? I was pretty sure we were only allowed 1 of those per season, at most.

Lewandowski just has the magic right now. I cannot remember the last MSU player with such a hot stick. It has to have been a decade. Last year I recall seeing PSU's Smirnov put up huge numbers as a freshman and it frustrated me that MSU, year after year, could barely get anybody over the 10 goal mark. If Cole can recruit a couple more goal scorers to stick on the 2nd or 3rd lines then we may finall see a prolific offense in East Lansing again.
                Neil Koepke's take was fairly dead-on: State played a physical "in your face" kind of game, I saw some good active sticks, a lot of challenges at the blue line and fine back checking to cover up the rare mistakes. They withstood a 5-on-3 to take the crowd out of it a little, and recovered nicely from Ferris' third period goal. That Sanford goal looked like it came from a top-line goal-scorer. Nearly impossible angle.

I'd like to say they "played" hard rather than worked hard. That was a full 60.

Comment

On Cole’s show tonight he said they will sign 2 or 3 forwards in the spring.

Comment

That is interesting news. They're only graduating one. Kinda wondering if he's given to believe there's a forward leaving early.

-- --

I think State can take one of these games this Holiday weekend, given the on-paper reasons: (1) PSU fattened themselves on some pre-Thanksgiving turkey (ASU), (2) potentially sparse student section, (3) MSU's on a bit of a roll and playing with confidence.
                    Last edited by owslachief; 11-22-2017, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

(4) They've already dropped home games to AIC and Mercyhurst.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                        (4) They've already dropped home games to AIC and Mercyhurst.

Sounds like some letdown goalie play.

Follow-up: if I interpret their stats correctly, it looks like their prime goalie (Jones) has started 12 games and his finished 9 of them. So that could be a bit telling.
                        Last edited by owslachief; 11-22-2017, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                          That is interesting news. They're only graduating one. Kinda wondering if he's given to believe there's a forward leaving early.

-- --

I think State can take one of these games this Holiday weekend, given the on-paper reasons: (1) PSU fattened themselves on some pre-Thanksgiving turkey (ASU), (2) potentially sparse student section, (3) MSU's on a bit of a roll and playing with confidence.
                          Cole said they are short one forward this year as they chose to wait a year to fill the slot. Said they could take 3 to balance the class sizes.

Comment

Jonaton Asplund for 2018/19.
                            Last edited by owslachief; 11-22-2017, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                              Jonaton Asplund for 2018/19.
                              Interestingly he’s a Dman...someone leaving early?

Comment

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                                Interestingly he’s a Dman...someone leaving early?
                                That actually makes 3 D marked for next year. Cesana(for sure), Wishman and now this guy. I do not know how Cole plans to fit everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X