MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Game is sold out, hopefully it's a good environment.

I would think Minney gets the nod. It's not the last game of the regular season so it's not going to kill momentum going into the playoffs if things go wrong. On the other hand, we have ND next weekend, so maybe it could. I guess we'll see.
    I think Minney gets the nod. It's not as if he's unproven. He has struggled this season but it's not entirely his fault.

We played a fantastic game tonight, by the way.

Comment

• Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
      I think Minney gets the nod. It's not as if he's unproven. He has struggled this season but it's not entirely his fault.

Nice win tonight. Michigan fans appreciated it as well. You guys have played Penn State tough this year.

I really can't wait for the time when MSU and UM are both top 10 again and the games are must see. Those were the days.
      Infrequent poster, frequent reader.

Comment

Was a great effort, pretty much start to finish. Penn State was the team winless in 7, but MSU came out looking ornery. Began with defense, which looked solid.

Comment

Well, Saturday was a mixed bag. That 2nd period was terrible. We were getting beat everywhere. But, momentum and game flow are curious things and the 3rd was a complete 180. It's strange one team can look so much faster one period and so much slower the next. We didn't win but I am glad we went out swinging hard. It was very exciting. If not for the most ill timed too many men penalty I think there was a good chance we were tying that game.

I have some gripes regarding the senior night ceremony . I feel that they are spending less time and energy on these every year. I remember years ago, players used to skate all the way around the boards and they wouldn't start the next bio until they finished their skate and got to center ice. Now they haven't even passed the student section before the next bio begins. What's the rush? There were 3 this year. It finished in literally 5 minutes. They also didn't play Shadows for them to conclude the ceremony. That part always felt the most touching. I guess it just felt to me as if it was treated as a formality as opposed to an actual celebration of our seniors.

Oh, also, it was good to see Minney finish strong at home. He didn't get the win but he held us in that thing with several huge and timely saves.
          Last edited by Pirateasaur; 02-19-2018, 09:57 AM.

Comment

I'd have to guess we go Lethemon tonight since we'd want to give him some confidence going into the playoffs, but Minney has put together a decent game and a half.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Solid end to the regular season, I'd say.

Comment

Any thoughts on first round playoff down here?
                Only a fool wouldn't think your team isn't dangerous and you've certainly proved yourself against us the last time we met but now we have a best of 3 on our ice.
                We'll be playing to keep a favorable Pairwise and will most likely have a postseason regardless while Michigan State is playing for their only chance to continue their season. If that isn't enough to motivate your team then I don't know what is.

Comment

Well, Saturday was a mixed bag. That 2nd period was terrible. We were getting beat everywhere. But, momentum and game flow are curious things and the 3rd was a complete 180. It's strange one team can look so much faster one period and so much slower the next. We didn't win but I am glad we went out swinging hard. It was very exciting. If not for the most ill timed too many men penalty I think there was a good chance we were tying that game.

I have some gripes regarding the senior night ceremony . I feel that they are spending less time and energy on these every year. I remember years ago, players used to skate all the way around the boards and they wouldn't start the next bio until they finished their skate and got to center ice. Now they haven't even passed the student section before the next bio begins. What's the rush? There were 3 this year. It finished in literally 5 minutes. They also didn't play Shadows for them to conclude the ceremony. That part always felt the most touching. I guess it just felt to me as if it was treated as a formality as opposed to an actual celebration of our seniors.
                  Curiously, Mr. Cole didn't seem to recall Shadows being an integral part of Spartan hockey tradition. Whether this translates to the band's program or not, hard to say.

Comment

Wonders if 55 will be back.

Comment

• Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                      Wonders if 55 will be back.
                      Boy, I hope so. That line is going to be dynamite next season if they stick together.

Overall, I'm pleased with how the season went. I saw a number of improvements from a team younger and less experienced than any of Anastos'. This will definitely be a process, likely years long. I think this roster could possibly catch fire as the majority become upperclassmen but building a stable, consistent winner is going to take a while. The old shine our program had is pretty tarnished and will likely be of little help to Cole at this point but I think he is the guy to get it done.

Comment

1. We absolutely need the KHL line to return. They take so much pressure off everyone else. If we can add even a decently productive second and third line in terms of points MSU will be way better team next year.

2. I'm hoping Lethomen takes a step next year as I thought for the first time in awhile MSU doesn't have a consistent goalie. I'm guessing DeRidder gets a shot next year as a freshman though.

3. Another thing that will be interesting next year will be having a few taller players. Makes passing lanes that much tighter for opposing teams.

Overall excited for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
                          1. We absolutely need the KHL line to return. They take so much pressure off everyone else. If we can add even a decently productive second and third line in terms of points MSU will be way better team next year.

2. I'm hoping Lethomen takes a step next year as I thought for the first time in awhile MSU doesn't have a consistent goalie. I'm guessing DeRidder gets a shot next year as a freshman though.

3. Another thing that will be interesting next year will be having a few taller players. Makes passing lanes that much tighter for opposing teams.

Overall excited for next year.
                          I hope we can appreciate what we might on the back end as well. Could be the most solid d-corps in some time. With some talent spread throughout the classes and one potential high-end freshman. While Osburn is highly visible with his ability to push the puck, Rosburg and Miller were also big contributors (each were in double figures in points). Miller shows a high hockey IQ, and Rosburg can lay the big hits. Ghafari been good at times, but with consistent playing time his game will be more consistent. Scarsella and Chrcek have also logged some good ice time, partly due to Osburn's injury mid-season and partly from Eliot's untimely departure.

Plus, what Dennis Cesana is doing in the AJHL cannot be ignored. Excited to see what he will bring for sure.

Comment

Not much of a surprise that Lewandowski has earned B1G Freshman of the Year.

Comment

• Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                              I hope we can appreciate what we might on the back end as well. Could be the most solid d-corps in some time. With some talent spread throughout the classes and one potential high-end freshman. While Osburn is highly visible with his ability to push the puck, Rosburg and Miller were also big contributors (each were in double figures in points). Miller shows a high hockey IQ, and Rosburg can lay the big hits. Ghafari been good at times, but with consistent playing time his game will be more consistent. Scarsella and Chrcek have also logged some good ice time, partly due to Osburn's injury mid-season and partly from Eliot's untimely departure.

Plus, what Dennis Cesana is doing in the AJHL cannot be ignored. Excited to see what he will bring for sure.
                              Expect 4-6 new players next year. Along with DeRidder and Cesana, Mattson will be here. He switched from North Dakota because he didn’t want to wait another year. In addition expect Wishman at d to replace Eliot and quite possibly a third dman for depth and size. An additional forward could be added if someone is ready to contribute.

Comment

Any rumors floating around up there if Joe Exter is talking with Merrimack about the head coaching job?

Comment

Working...
                                X