MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

What a fun couple hockey games to watch. The up and down action was incredible. Yes two wins would have been nice but at least getting a split with #7 is good enough for this young team.

Apap really impressed me this weekend. He works really hard when on the ice and is showing to be a pretty reliable freshman.

I agree I think Minney may have seen his last real game action this year.

I was kind of disappointed with the lack of shots on goal. Just two weeks ago Danton said we would have to score by volume. I'll take 17 shots and a win every day, don't get me wrong. I just think as a team they still look to pass too much sometimes or forget that our d-men can actually touch the puck in the offensive zone.

Comment

Also interesting after the game Danton said they decided to only play 5 d-men after about mid-way through the first period. And I also think the top two lines played the majority of the time after mid-way through the second. Do you think our top players will get wore down because of this? Granted the more they do it, the more they will get used to it.

Comment

Friday was not a good game. Wisconsin is a better team and that much was clear for at least 40 minutes. The only part about Friday I enjoyed was during one of our powerplays when a guy in the crowd screamed "shoot!" which Hirose immediately did. It was blocked and sent out of the zone. My dad then mumbled "I bet that guy feels like an idiot."

Saturday was much better. 1st period didn't feel it but Lethemon was strong and defense did a better job keeping Wisky away from grade A scoring chances. For the remainder of the game we did a better job handling UW's speed and skill. That was a gritty win against a good team. The shots were lopsided but Wisconsin took a page out of the PSU playbook and threw a ton of low percentage shots at Lethemon.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
          Speaking of KHL, Khoderenko had a monster game last night, including a brilliant steal on a Wiscy breakout to setup the second goal. And Lewandowsky looks like a junior goal-scorer with his one-timers.

I think right up there with my favorite moments last night - a 5-on-5 stretch where MSU kept the puck in UW's end for about solid minute and half, and they had to finally ice the puck and use their timeout. When have we done that against a top-10 team lately?

Out willingness to block shots.

Finally, laurels for Lethalman.
          That was one of the best shifts I've seen in...multiple seasons? They did it again for a shorter time in the third period. The KHL line can move and possess the puck in the offensive zone like we haven't seen in years. A decade? It's a marvelous to watch. Man do I hope they all stick around for at least one more year.

Milan's line had some good ones as well. His emergence is a big one for this team.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
            Now that you've played both Minny & Wiscy who do you think is better?
            I didn't see the games against Minny but UW looked pretty tough to me. They looked a more complete team than last year. The two are probably fairly comparable overall.

Comment

So far I'm impressed. I've seen but one game (WMU), but I'm reading and seeing comments on, a much higher level of skill then in previous years. That comes to good coaching and better schemes. Finishing at, or above 0.500 is certainly attainable.

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
                I was kind of disappointed with the lack of shots on goal. Just two weeks ago Danton said we would have to score by volume. I'll take 17 shots and a win every day, don't get me wrong. I just think as a team they still look to pass too much sometimes or forget that our d-men can actually touch the puck in the offensive zone.
                I noticed this a bit this weekend. Quite a few times we went for the extra pass and it bit us, ended up as a turnover or ended up not getting as good of a look as we had in the first place.

That said, I think passing may be where we've most improved. The past couple years we seemed to struggle just keeping it the zone because a pass back to the D men would hop over a stick or would just be completely off the mark.
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
                  So far I'm impressed. I've seen but one game (WMU), but I'm reading and seeing comments on, a much higher level of skill then in previous years. That comes to good coaching and better schemes. Finishing at, or above 0.500 is certainly attainable.
                  If they bottle the second periods they had against Wisconsin (either night), I'm not ruling it out. But it would be a monumental task - it seems like it's all coming together for the other 6 teams - except perhaps so far for Penn State - and when you include the addition of Notre Dame, this season is a brutal learning curve in B1G for any team as young as the Spartans.

Comment

We signed Drew DeRidder today, a goalie on the U18 team.

Also signed defenseman Dennis Cesana out of the AJHL, who will come in as a 20 year old freshman. 52 points in 59 games last year.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

Also signed defenseman Dennis Cesana out of the AJHL, who will come in as a 20 year old freshman. 52 points in 59 games last year.
                      That DeRidder seems like quite the goalie..

Comment

He currently leads his team in points and is 10th in the league. Very impressive for a defenseman. I believe he was previously a commit to Army? Great find by Cole.

Comment

This a great pair of signings. Unfortunately, Nolan Moyle has committed a sacrilegious act.
                          Last edited by owslachief; 11-17-2017, 02:41 PM.

Comment

KHL line comes through again tonight with all three goals.

Obviously happy to win it in OT, but disappointing it got there in the first place. We absolutely dominated the first 35 minutes, gave up a weak goal to end the second, and never really took control again until OT.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Osburn is literally skating backwards on one foot. Must have been one painful ankle block

Comment

Why in a 4 on 3 powerplay situation would they let the guy with the longer penalty come out after a goal instead of the guy with the least amount of time left?

Comment

Working...
                                X