Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 293

Thread: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

  1. #221
    Hockey fan with an MSU bias
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    234

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    1. We absolutely need the KHL line to return. They take so much pressure off everyone else. If we can add even a decently productive second and third line in terms of points MSU will be way better team next year.

    2. I'm hoping Lethomen takes a step next year as I thought for the first time in awhile MSU doesn't have a consistent goalie. I'm guessing DeRidder gets a shot next year as a freshman though.

    3. Another thing that will be interesting next year will be having a few taller players. Makes passing lanes that much tighter for opposing teams.

    Overall excited for next year.

  2. #222
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    6,552

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    Quote Originally Posted by gomsuman View Post
    1. We absolutely need the KHL line to return. They take so much pressure off everyone else. If we can add even a decently productive second and third line in terms of points MSU will be way better team next year.

    2. I'm hoping Lethomen takes a step next year as I thought for the first time in awhile MSU doesn't have a consistent goalie. I'm guessing DeRidder gets a shot next year as a freshman though.

    3. Another thing that will be interesting next year will be having a few taller players. Makes passing lanes that much tighter for opposing teams.

    Overall excited for next year.
    I hope we can appreciate what we might on the back end as well. Could be the most solid d-corps in some time. With some talent spread throughout the classes and one potential high-end freshman. While Osburn is highly visible with his ability to push the puck, Rosburg and Miller were also big contributors (each were in double figures in points). Miller shows a high hockey IQ, and Rosburg can lay the big hits. Ghafari been good at times, but with consistent playing time his game will be more consistent. Scarsella and Chrcek have also logged some good ice time, partly due to Osburn's injury mid-season and partly from Eliot's untimely departure.

    Plus, what Dennis Cesana is doing in the AJHL cannot be ignored. Excited to see what he will bring for sure.

  3. #223
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    6,552

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    Not much of a surprise that Lewandowski has earned B1G Freshman of the Year.

  4. #224
    Section T since 1978
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    DeWitt, MI, USA
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by owslachief View Post
    I hope we can appreciate what we might on the back end as well. Could be the most solid d-corps in some time. With some talent spread throughout the classes and one potential high-end freshman. While Osburn is highly visible with his ability to push the puck, Rosburg and Miller were also big contributors (each were in double figures in points). Miller shows a high hockey IQ, and Rosburg can lay the big hits. Ghafari been good at times, but with consistent playing time his game will be more consistent. Scarsella and Chrcek have also logged some good ice time, partly due to Osburn's injury mid-season and partly from Eliot's untimely departure.

    Plus, what Dennis Cesana is doing in the AJHL cannot be ignored. Excited to see what he will bring for sure.
    Expect 4-6 new players next year. Along with DeRidder and Cesana, Mattson will be here. He switched from North Dakota because he didn’t want to wait another year. In addition expect Wishman at d to replace Eliot and quite possibly a third dman for depth and size. An additional forward could be added if someone is ready to contribute.

  5. #225
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,489

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    Any rumors floating around up there if Joe Exter is talking with Merrimack about the head coaching job?

  6. #226
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    6,552

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    No, but I would not like that b/c he wouldn't be the only one leaving (not arriving)

  7. #227
    Section T since 1978
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    DeWitt, MI, USA
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    Any rumors floating around up there if Joe Exter is talking with Merrimack about the head coaching job?
    No inside info, but I expect he has submitted his resume and would take the job if offered. I hope they go with someone else and we get to keep him a couple more years.

  8. #228
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    6,552

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    Was thinking that last day or so that MSU's 2021-22 commitment list is kinda empty, but now that D Zane Demsey has committed (6'0 as an '01) from Honeybaked, there's one.

  9. #229
    Section T since 1978
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    DeWitt, MI, USA
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by owslachief View Post
    Was thinking that last day or so that MSU's 2021-22 commitment list is kinda empty, but now that D Zane Demsey has committed (6'0 as an '01) from Honeybaked, there's one.
    Personally, I think there should be a rule against recruiting any kid before their sophomore year of high school and offering before their junior year. Going after 14 and 15 year olds is crazy. Asking kids to make decisions 3-5 years before college? really?

  10. #230
    Hockey fan with an MSU bias
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    234

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    Quote Originally Posted by wsummers View Post
    Personally, I think there should be a rule against recruiting any kid before their sophomore year of high school and offering before their junior year. Going after 14 and 15 year olds is crazy. Asking kids to make decisions 3-5 years before college? really?
    I am with you. I know when I was 14-15 I had no clue what all went into a college decision. It's a big thing to put on a kid that young, especially an athlete.

  11. #231
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,880

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    Quote Originally Posted by wsummers View Post
    Personally, I think there should be a rule against recruiting any kid before their sophomore year of high school and offering before their junior year. Going after 14 and 15 year olds is crazy. Asking kids to make decisions 3-5 years before college? really?
    The only counter argument is that Major Junior comes after them at that age.

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  12. #232
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    6,552

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    Quote Originally Posted by wsummers View Post
    Personally, I think there should be a rule against recruiting any kid before their sophomore year of high school and offering before their junior year. Going after 14 and 15 year olds is crazy. Asking kids to make decisions 3-5 years before college? really?
    To that point, I'd bet the track record for MSU doesn't compare favorably with the D1 average when it comes to 14 & 15 yo making it here, much less staying long. (Ty Farmer, Reid Boucher, Austin Czarnik, Nick Boka, Justin Bailey, Brendan Perlini plus others in the last 8 years alone).

    Tanner Sorenson is the only one that comes to mind who made up his mind at 14 and actually put in some time here.

  13. #233
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    The only counter argument is that Major Junior comes after them at that age.

    GFM
    They really like to ruin things.

  14. #234
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,880

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    They really like to ruin things.
    I've talked with D-I coaches about it. I'd like to think that you let a kid who played MJ but left before 17y180d come in to play college hockey if they met all educational requirements for admission to the member school and passing the NCAA clearinghouse, but I don't know how often that would work practically. Also, the coaches I've asked that of have essentially argued that MJ would end up ruining a lot of kids' opportunities in that regard, and that the burden would fall on Tier I and Tier II juniors to not only develop the kids' games but ensure that they get educated.

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  15. #235
    Coach Emeritus
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Enjoying the arrival of the Jeff Sauer Trophy in 2018
    Posts
    2,748

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    Sad news from the UP. Allen Ammesmaki, AKA Goofus, passed away last night. The team comedian award every season is named for him. If you aren't familiar, the video may jog your memory.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oynq7qAGTAA

  16. #236
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    6,552

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    Sad news from the UP. Allen Ammesmaki, AKA Goofus, passed away last night. The team comedian award every season is named for him. If you aren't familiar, the video may jog your memory.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oynq7qAGTAA
    Sad indeed ... thank you for the note.
    So passes another piece of the glorious past.

  17. #237
    Section T since 1978
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    DeWitt, MI, USA
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by owslachief View Post
    Was thinking that last day or so that MSU's 2021-22 commitment list is kinda empty, but now that D Zane Demsey has committed (6'0 as an '01) from Honeybaked, there's one.
    Add David Gucciardi a Dman from Toronto. On the small size (at 15 may not be done growing) at 5’9”.

    https://www.neutralzone.net/mens/player/david-gucciardi-33928/

  18. #238
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    6,552

    Re: MSU Spartan Hockey - Episode VII - A New Hope

    So Joe Exter isn't going anywhere (yet). Let's see if we can get another high-scoring New Englandaa.

  19. #239
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by owslachief View Post
    So Joe Exter isn't going anywhere (yet). Let's see if we can get another high-scoring New Englandaa.
    I'm hoping to get 3 seasons out of him.

    I'm curious to see who shows up as freshmen next year. There are far more recruits slotted for 2018 than spaces available.

  20. #240
    Section T since 1978
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    DeWitt, MI, USA
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    I'm hoping to get 3 seasons out of him.

    I'm curious to see who shows up as freshmen next year. There are far more recruits slotted for 2018 than spaces available.
    For sure DeRidder, Cesana, Mattson.
    Very likely Wishman
    And probably 1 or 2 more forwards. Stachowiak and Lombardi might be the most likely, but there are several more possibilities to fill very few spots.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •