Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: UMass Lowell 17/18 Season Thread: 21 Year Old Freshman Eating BU's Lunch

Re: UMass Lowell 17/18 Season Thread: 21 Year Old Freshman Eating BU's Lunch

Harvard and Dartmouth on NESN tonight at 7:00 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by boblav1 View Post
    No offense taken. Yes there are marginal calls made in every game. I just felt Lowell got the short end of the stick on those (marginal) calls last night. Surely NU could have been called for some of the same things. We didn't see these ticky-tacky calls on Friday night. I guess Holton and Murphy didn't get the memo.
    Iím sure you are right that NU might have been called for some other infractions. I have felt as you do many times and, more often than not, I have felt that way after watching us lose.
    Part of the ďfabricĒ of the game is irregular, inconsistent way it is refereed. The action happens so quickly and the game moves ahead so quickly that only a very few and critical parts of the game are subject to review. Unfortunately one aspect that is not reviewable is whether a penalty call was made correctly. Only the severity of a called penalty, like a hit to the head, can be reviewed.
    We saw a couple of competitive and exciting games this weekend. Letís do it again in a couple of week and finish at the Garden in March.

Quote Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
    Lowell's 5x3 kill was very impressive all night.. as i & fellow NU fans noted last night. I'm beginning to wonder if Norm got or read the directive..

oh.. & pls dont shoot the messenger.
    I think the point is the same infractions were occurring on both teams but only one was being called for them. Points of emphasis have been around forever. mr les sat on one of the committees of the NCAA for a few yrs. They argue about them ad nauseum, look at a bunch of factors then pass down the edict. The league decides how to handle them before the season starts, they discuss in preseason meetings and the players are all advised. They may remind folks of the points of emphasis if they are still happening a lot but usually they do it beginning of the season and that is all they need. They don't change the points of emphasis as the season progresses~ or at least not in yrs past

UML got the official's shaft and showed a lot of heart staying in the game Saturday night but losses like that they can go home with their heads held high. Unfortunately, they just didn't show up Friday night. Lazy play, plain and simple. After coasting around, hoping their teammates will make the play, watching NU players hustle, getting beat to every NU dump-in for 2 periods on Friday they didn't deserve any puck luck or breaks from Refs on Saturday and the weekend goes from only 2 points but positive to a debacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Split-N View Post
    Not so much bad as it was inconsistent. From what I could see on the NU stream, they had pretty much called a "black and white" game until the third period when all of a sudden they seemed to start with the marginal "ticky-tack" calls.
    I didnít watch close enough... a few were along the lines of ďI guess you could call thatĒ... but also in the same breath ďbut they usually donítĒ

I wish for the day of a reliable HD game stream from Lowell. Free would be nice but im not asking for a miracle.

From the Lowell Sun:

UMASS LOWELLíS STREAK ENDS
    After two weekend losses to Northeastern, the UMass Lowell hockey team is no longer ranked, ending a stretch of 120 weeks in which the River Hawks were ranked in either the USCHO or the USAHockey Magazine poll. The stretch began when UML appeared at No. 20 in the USCHO poll on Jan. 7, 2013. Of those 120 weeks, more than two thirds (83), were spent in the top 10. Only Boston College had a longer streak in the nation.

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Don't worry you guys will feel better once you feast on some black bears.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Don't worry you guys will feel better once you feast on some black bears.

wally I feel for you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    wally I feel for you guys.
    I donít... fresh rugs for one and all

(I like Wally, I just donít have any sympathy about beating Maine into a bloody stump)

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    I donít... fresh rugs for one and all

(I like Wally, I just donít have any sympathy about beating Maine into a bloody stump)
    Don't blame you, Maine owned Lowell for many years. I loved going to games at tully, what a blast that was to be so close the refs would turn and look when you yelled at them. From 87 to 2007 Maine had quite a run. Had my guts ripped out in 92,02 and 04. Nothing can compare to 93 but I like 99 even better. Saw one of best frozen four games in providence in 95, beating Michigan on a face off. Niko beating BC in HE playoffs. Etc.
    With that said, Maine is now a bottom feeder. It seems like they haven't won on the road in years. Lowell will come out of their funk this weekend.

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

maine has a lot of talent. i'll lv it at that.

Looking forward to my first trip to Tsongas this weekend. I'll be there for the Saturday game. Thank you to all who provided arena seating guidance. UMaine win or lose I always look forward to seeing a Norm Bazin coached team.

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Don't blame you, Maine owned Lowell for many years. I loved going to games at tully, what a blast that was to be so close the refs would turn and look when you yelled at them. From 87 to 2007 Maine had quite a run. Had my guts ripped out in 92,02 and 04. Nothing can compare to 93 but I like 99 even better. Saw one of best frozen four games in providence in 95, beating Michigan on a face off. Niko beating BC in HE playoffs. Etc.
    With that said, Maine is now a bottom feeder. It seems like they haven't won on the road in years. Lowell will come out of their funk this weekend.

Why I hate...

BU - Parker
    BC - Fans
    NU - Fans/Students
    VT - jcarter
    ME - non-message board fans
    CT - because I can, Bruce Marshall
    MA - donít even start
    MC - divine right
    NH - results on ice
    PC - meh

You guys on here seem nice over the years... grab a beer and all that

Other than that... goonery with the lead seems to be hallmark of Maine hockey... it works but itís infuriating

Had no specific animus with Walshy but he did die my soph year though Iíd known about him for awhile... I know the goonery was his strategy but he didnít explicitly bother me
    Last edited by Patman; 11-01-2017 at 01:34 PM.

Patman
    What could you possibly have against the Dog House and other lovely fans at NU? I can guarantee you that we don't sit around thinking hateful thoughts about your people. They are pleasant enough - even reminding one of peaceful ghosts when their team is trailing. There is simply nothing there for us to sink our teeth into. OTOH, BC/bu fans with their superior-than-thou attitude should be fresh meat for you. UNH fish flingers, as well as Mainers are forever whining about their coach. Everyone knows that the UmASS students fans are just plain vulgar. The UVM locals can be very nasty if their boys are outdone. The rest are, as you say, "meh". None of our groups intend to be calm or soothing to our opponents. So, there's no need to make midweek lists. just wait for the weekend to arrive so that you can hate the ones you're with.

Quote Originally Posted by HHound View Post
    Patman
    What could you possibly have against the Dog House and other lovely fans at NU? I can guarantee you that we don't sit around thinking hateful thoughts about your people. They are pleasant enough - even reminding one of peaceful ghosts when their team is trailing. There is simply nothing there for us to sink our teeth into. OTOH, BC/bu fans with their superior-than-thou attitude should be fresh meat for you. UNH fish flingers, as well as Mainers are forever whining about their coach. Everyone knows that the UmASS students fans are just plain vulgar. The UVM locals can be very nasty if their boys are outdone. The rest are, as you say, "meh". None of our groups intend to be calm or soothing to our opponents. So, there's no need to make midweek lists. just wait for the weekend to arrive so that you can hate the ones you're with.
    I will take a guess. A 'few' yrs ago when NU traveled really well the Dog Pound came into our arena and acted like complete idiots. Purposely obnoxious not to students but to families with kids in my section which was across the arena from the student section. Foul language, taunting, standing so the little kids couldn't see- telling the people who couldn't see (season ticket holders) they should move. There was a big to do. There were some folks on the Board who were really nice people but the 'Pound' that came visiting were an embarrassment. Not cool.

Then for us older folk there was a a time when there were things thrown at our players visiting Matthews. Large brawl ensued including some of our players hiking up into the stands to handle business. (That is very, very old business)
    Last edited by leswp1; 11-01-2017 at 02:55 PM.

2016 Hockey East Overlords

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    I will take a guess. A 'few' yrs ago when NU traveled really well the Dog Pound came into our arena and acted like complete idiots. Purposely obnoxious not to students but to families with kids in my section which was across the arena from the student section. Foul language, taunting, standing so the little kids couldn't see- telling the people who couldn't see (season ticket holders) they should move. There was a big to do. There were some folks on the Board who were really nice people but the 'Pound' that came visiting were an embarrassment. Not cool.
    I'd love to know when you allege this happened, because I was with the DogHouse every year from 2012-16 as a student and I don't recall a single incident of this nature. Or at all for that matter, other than a specific year where certain children weren't being watched by their parents and decided that that it was more fun to hit opposing fans with thundersticks than watch the game, after which your security reminded the parties involves that there are in fact consequences for their actions.

I take it from my lack of memory of it (or of ever standing anywhere besides the last row of the arena) and your quote of 'few' that it was likely before my time and thus not particularly relevant to the present day, just curious. While the kids there today are still obnoxious, they generally tuck themselves in some corner and out of the way to do their thing (which isn't that hard considering the attendance issues everywhere these days) and aren't really comparable to the ones of Cronin and before.
    Last edited by TheRevengeance; 11-01-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevengeance View Post
    I'd love to know when you allege this happened, because I was with the DogHouse every year from 2012-16 as a student and I don't recall a single incident of this nature. Or at all for that matter, other than a specific year where certain children weren't being watched by their parents and decided that that it was more fun to hit opposing fans with thundersticks than watch the game, after which your security reminded the parties involves that there are in fact consequences for their actions.

I take it from my lack of memory of it (or of ever standing anywhere besides the last row of the arena) and your quote of 'few' that it was likely before my time and thus not particularly relevant to the present day, just curious. While the kids there today are still obnoxious, they generally tuck themselves in some corner and out of the way to do their thing (which isn't that hard considering the attendance issues everywhere these days) and aren't really comparable to the ones of Cronin and before.
    2001-2002.

It was fun in our place... getting those students kicked for their ďsodaĒ was fun. Then there was the ďco-opĒ applications

There was also an incident at northeastern that led to an altercation (which included an assault on an off duty police officer) and an expulsion

Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    2001-2002.

It was fun in our place... getting those students kicked for their “soda” was fun. Then there was the “co-op” applications

There was also an incident at northeastern that led to an altercation (which included an assault on an off duty police officer) and an expulsion
    Yes, the good old days, lol. I remember how we tipped off UML officers and Tsongas ushers about the possibility of concealed alcohol and lo and behold, immediately upon the game starting, a handful of NU students were kicked out after being inspected for contraband. The funny thing was they had to wait until the game was over for their friends who weren't kicked out to drive them back to Boston.

The three-game playoff series was great back then too as each successive night at Tsongas, the Dog House fans and Lowell fans upped the ante. Chuck a Puck one night had them flying into the NU fan section instead of the ice as we tried to pick off NU fans (thus no Chuck a Puck the next night). Chants directed at Lowell fans were met with chants back. The best was taping the McDonalds applications to all the seats in the NU section pre-game and writing "NU Co-op Application" on each of them.

The altercation at NU was just plain bad, picked on the wrong person and it cost him big time.

Bloody Lip game was also between Lowell-NU as a longtime fan who was much younger back then had a horn shoved back into his lip as he was blowing it by a NU fan.

An oldie but goodie was back in the mid-1980s in a deciding HE playoff game at Matthews, we're calling NU goalie Bruce Racine a sieve over and over again during warm ups and he proceeds to fire pucks up at us in the seats. Lowell ends up winning game to move on and eliminate NU and we wave at NU's Rod Isbister out the student bus window as we drive by, offering him some tickets to the next game. He wasn't appreciative of that.
    Last edited by riverchief1; 11-01-2017 at 08:33 PM.
    Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
    Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
    Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Quote Originally Posted by riverchief1 View Post
    An oldie but goodie was back in the mid-1980s in a deciding HE playoff game at Matthews, we're calling NU goalie Bruce Racine a sieve over and over again during warm ups and he proceeds to fire pucks up at us in the seats. Lowell ends up winning game to move on and eliminate NU and we wave at NU's Rod Isbister out the student bus window as we drive by, offering him some tickets to the next game. He wasn't appreciative of that.
    ha, ha.. that is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevengeance View Post

Section X (when they were letters, not numbers). Also not where their tickets were. My kid was in elementary school so probably when you were not there yet- in early 2000s. We needed to leave our seats because things got so nasty I didn't feel comfortable with him there. Things were escalating to point of people being in each other's faces with a few physical altercations. Our security folk were embarrassing and did nothing. It made a lot of people really mad- not just students but 'old' folk and families that had to deal with it.

riverchief1 lists all the other back and forth stuff over the yrs. Some of it was funny on both sides. The bloody lip, the nastiness above and the brawl after things being thrown at players was not. Personally I thought those were aberrations. For the most part the NU students were hysterical to watch- clever, quirky and coordinated. They are a bit more boring now.

Thread Information