No announcement yet.

UMass Lowell 17/18 Season Thread: 21 Year Old Freshman Eating BU's Lunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMass Lowell 17/18 Season Thread: 21 Year Old Freshman Eating BU's Lunch

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
    The UConn/UMass game is on ESPN3 tonight. A UConn win ends any chance Lowell has at a 1st round bye. (I'm not sure they want that bye, but that's another question for another day.)
    I may be in the minority, but I am hoping for a Lowell sweep this weekend and for Maine to finish 5th. They still have an outside chance at 20 wins which would be a nice accomplishment given their disappointing season. I think they might get there if they host a 1st round series.

Comment

The scenarios for finishing 5th and getting a bye are fairly simply.

Lowell sweeps Merrimack, and Maine takes no more than 1 point from BC
      Lowell takes 3 points from Merrimack and Maine gets swept by BC.

Anything else and Lowell hosts a 1st round series.
      Actually I'd love to have you guys get 5th. Selfishly I'd love Maine to get more games at home. We have a weird team, they win on road better than home. Like them to get more games at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
        I may be in the minority, but I am hoping for a Lowell sweep this weekend and for Maine to finish 5th. They still have an outside chance at 20 wins which would be a nice accomplishment given their disappointing season. I think they might get there if they host a 1st round series.
        At this point I just want to see a win tonight. It seems like even when the team plays well lately they're finding a way to lose with a late mistake or turnover.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
          It's nice to hear Norm say that all the seniors did well in the class room and that a couple of them will also be leaving with Master degrees.

Comment

Will be no surprise this weekend that Merrimack will clog and stack the neutral zone and collapse all 5 guys to the house in front of the net relying on their goalie to make the first save. The Hawks have really struggled with teams that play like this. We hear about keys to the game so some thoughts heading into the weekend that the Hawks will need to do. With Merrimack having all 5 guys stacked in front of the net, there should be opportunities to move the puck from low to high to get the defence involved and also east to west from strong to weak side below the goal line. In the game against Providence the Hawks did this the first 3-4 shifts and then it stopped. After that it was one and done with again very little zone time. The ability to retrieve pucks and move it quickly out of the scrum will be key. The longer the Hawks stay in the scrum the worse they are as they do not have forwards that can win 50-50 battles. Thus getting the puck from low to high and engaging the defence will be a key. In the last 5 games I would suggest we have only see the defence get a hand full of these type of situations per game 5 on 5. Defence will need to ensure that they get shots through and not blocked even if it means shooting off the net or finding a forward away from the net. The other key will to have layers in the offensive zone so the forwards can retrieve loos pucks, avoid getting tied up and get get them selves un-checked to open spots where they can shoot off the pass. Too often we see all forwards getting boxed out and checked where they remain stationary and cant get to the loose pucks. Because there will be limited space, the forwards are going to have to be able to make some plays in tight spaces and have some composure rather than just blasting the puck without having head up or just burying their heads on the cycle without looking for open players and opportunity to quickly move the puck to support. Finally, we need to create some quality zone time to take the pressure off the defensive zone and need to make some key save. I haven't done the math but would suggest that the save percentage in the last 5 losses has not been above .900. Just my thoughts and will see if these observations come true.

Comment

Now that Lowell is locked into 7th, who would you rather see in Lowell for the 1st round? Your choices are Vermont, UNH, or Merrimack.
              Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
              "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

• Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                Now that Lowell is locked into 7th, who would you rather see in Lowell for the 1st round? Your choices are Vermont, UNH, or Merrimack.
                Lowell high

Comment

I'm not sure it matters the way the team is playing. They're crawling to the finish line. I believe Bob Ellis said this is the first time since Norm arrived that the team has lost 5 in a row.

Comment

Merrimack. I don’t feel like driving to Maine

Comment

I was at the game and it was a horrible team effort tonight. Norm said it best after the back to working on the basics. Wall struggled all night and the defense sucked in front of him.

Comment

Do these kids just not care or was last night a lack of talent and discipline
                        Tully Rink Rat
                        Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
                        Youngstar
                        UML Class of 09

Comment

So we host Merrimack. Should be fun as it was obvious tonight these teams don't like each other one bit.

Comment

Fun game to end regular season, great crowd too. Even the students showed up for the first time in awhile.

When is the last time Lowell went an entire season without a tie? Scott K do you know?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishhawk View Post
                              So we host Merrimack. Should be fun as it was obvious tonight these teams don't like each other one bit.
                              I'm hoping.. hoping... that this series, with the teams just having seen each other twice will mean it'll come down to the team with the better effort. I'm still hopeful they can learn a thing or two and go on a run even if that means they don't win the HEA.
                              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                              Skating Friar Jersey
                              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                                Fun game to end regular season, great crowd too. Even the students showed up for the first time in awhile.

When is the last time Lowell went an entire season without a tie? Scott K do you know?
                                1998-99 is the only season in their D1 history before this one without a tie. They went 17-17-0.
                                Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                                "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Working...
                                X