UMass Lowell 17/18 Season Thread: 21 Year Old Freshman Eating BU's Lunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ScottK View Post
    Well, he did score on the ensuing power play.
    Ha, well there ya go. Didn't get called for anything, drew a major and then scored on that PP. Heck of a job by him.

Comment

• Re: UMass Lowell 17/18 Season Thread: 21 Year Old Freshman Eating BU's Lunch

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      Ha, well there ya go. Didn't get called for anything, drew a major and then scored on that PP. Heck of a job by him.
      I guess at ice level it looked pretty bad. This coming from someone who usually thinks people over-react. Considering the source I think I will go with the guy wasn't faking and the 'unnecessary roughness' guy was a tool.

Comment

"drew a major" - He got rammed from behind into the boards after he had stopped skating. I wouldn't be shocked if the league hands down additional discipline on Monday, given what they've done that for already this season.
        Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
        "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
          "drew a major" - He got rammed from behind into the boards after he had stopped skating. I wouldn't be shocked if the league hands down additional discipline on Monday, given what they've done that for already this season.
          The play can be seen starting at the 1:39 :20 mark of the video. I love the BC announcer's commenting about whether Levesque is faking and predicting the over and under on how many shifts he'll miss.

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3245538

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
            The play can be seen starting at the 1:39 :20 mark of the video. I love the BC announcer's commenting about whether Levesque is faking and predicting the over and under on how many shifts he'll miss.

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3245538
            Wow. That looks bad. No reason to be lifting him by the back like that. If he had had a serious neck injury that could mean the diff between being ok and not walking again. (used to work in Rehab. That sh1t looks scary). Interesting to listen to the byplay between the announcers. THe guy speculating that Charlie is faking and the other guy says I don't think so then they other guy keeps right on going. I always hate when announcers speculate about whether someone is really hurt. It shapes how the listener views things and if they are wrong... it is not very classy. That goes for any announcer that speculates that way- I don't care which side they are employed for. Sometimes fluke things happen that can make an injury way worse than it looks like it should be.

If you get drilled like that first thing they teach you is don't move until you know you are OK. It is good advice.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
              Wow. That looks bad. No reason to be lifting him by the back like that. If he had had a serious neck injury that could mean the diff between being ok and not walking again. (used to work in Rehab. That sh1t looks scary). Interesting to listen to the byplay between the announcers. THe guy speculating that Charlie is faking and the other guy says I don't think so then they other guy keeps right on going. I always hate when announcers speculate about whether someone is really hurt. It shapes how the listener views things and if they are wrong... it is not very classy. That goes for any announcer that speculates that way- I don't care which side they are employed for. Sometimes fluke things happen that can make an injury way worse than it looks like it should be.

If you get drilled like that first thing they teach you is don't move until you know you are OK. It is good advice.
              The play by play guy is Jon Rish, he's a professional broadcaster, and I think he does a good job. Not sure about the other guy, he definitely sounds more like a honk. I wonder if he's a former player?

Comment

Andy powers, yes, former player. I am usually at the games so rarely actually hear them call a game. As i said before tortora was deserving of his 5 but they went after the kid for a reason. Lowell should not have come away with no penalties there. Whatever. Kid appears to be ok and thankfully the game was quiet after that incident.

Comment

You can get on the announcers, perfectly fine. But ultimately they were correct. Levesque scored on the ensuing pp. Whether they should be having that conversation as he is down on the ice is a different story. Probably better suited for after the guy scores the pp goal.

Comment

Andy powers, yes, former player. I am usually at the games so rarely actually hear them call a game. As i said before tortora was deserving of his 5 but they went after the kid for a reason. Lowell should not have come away with no penalties there. Whatever. Kid appears to be ok and thankfully the game was quiet after that incident.
                    You can get on the announcers, perfectly fine. But ultimately they were correct. Levesque scored on the ensuing pp. Whether they should be having that conversation as he is down on the ice is a different story. Probably better suited for after the guy scores the pp goal.
                    They were correct how? ONe of the guys was speculating that he was faking- not sure he was faking. The other was saying he thought the hit was enough to inflict damage and he wasn't buying the faking it. I get the whole he came back and won't comment on if they deserved another penalty but hindsight is 20/20. I don't know why he lay there initially but to me it doesn't really matter. No one at the time knows whether the guy is injured. Maybe it is because of my background that I react so strongly, but, I understand the potential permanent damage that can occur from moving someone after a spinal injury. Luckily he was OK. If he wasn't OK, yanking at him like that could have resulted in something really, really nasty. The guy was face down. Not moving. Honestly- I think my reaction would have been equally horrified if our guy did that. Probably more horrified because I know the guys and it would be disgusted they would do such a d1ckhead thing.

Comment

I went back and listened and at least to me it seemed both guys were questioning how hurt he was. What i mean by them being correct is they were hinting he'd be back quickly. Think it was powers who said he wouldn't miss a shift.

Inappropriate conversation to have when he's down on the ice though. At that point you really have no idea. Would have been a valid topic of conversation after he scored the goal though.

Comment

I went back and listened and at least to me it seemed both guys were questioning how hurt he was. What i mean by them being correct is they were hinting he'd be back quickly. Think it was powers who said he wouldn't miss a shift.

Inappropriate conversation to have when he's down on the ice though. At that point you really have no idea. Would have been a valid topic of conversation after he scored the goal though.
                        Agree. You really never do know. The player could be really hurt, initially be afraid they are hurt and not want to move, they could be trying to draw a penalty... Either way you don't drag on a player. And the hit right before (I watched again) looked nasty too altho that didn't seem to be deliberate. Deliberate or not you need to have control of your body.

Been watching for >30yrs. What things look like can be deceiving. A few yrs back we had a guy who took a hit that looked fairly innocuous and was out for 11 months with concussion and post concussion symptoms. Not long before that we had a guy who was blown up mid ice, was briefly unconscious, incoherent immediately after. Went to the ER, had a full work up and showed up a few hours later feeling absolutely fine. Always scares me when people are down and not moving. Makes me think of Travis Roy and the kid from up around here in HS who came out of rehab- in a wheelchair.

Comment

CJ Smith was named the AHL All Star game MVP
                          https://twitter.com/riverhawkhockey/...74190758133761

I’m glad to see he’s doing so well. It always stinks to see a player leave early, but he was obviously ready for the next level.

Comment

Maine jumps ahead of the Hawks into 5th place in Hockey East with an OT win over Merrimack. BU also won tonight defeating UMass and is now in 4th place.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                              Maine jumps ahead of the Hawks into 5th place in Hockey East with an OT win over Merrimack. BU also won tonight defeating UMass and is now in 4th place.
                              Gonna be tough to finish in top 4 as BU has a much easier remaining schedule than UML. Maine has it much tougher but finishing in 5th would suck. Personally I'd rather see UML come in 6th and host a playoff series instead of sitting for a week before heading to Agganis.

Comment

UMass at UNH tonight on ESPN3 at 7:00 pm. Lowell will be in Amherst next Saturday night.

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3287136
                                Last edited by boblav1; 02-03-2018, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X