No announcement yet.

UMass Lowell 17/18 Season Thread: 21 Year Old Freshman Eating BU's Lunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMass Lowell 17/18 Season Thread: 21 Year Old Freshman Eating BU's Lunch

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
    Up until last week, they had the best 3rd period goal differential in the country. Even after tonight's collapse, they are still tied for #4 in the country at +15 in the 3rd period.
    When they collapse they do so in spectacular fashion? I feel bad for some of the Srs. This has to be tough.

Comment

Up until last week, they had the best 3rd period goal differential in the country. Even after tonight's collapse, they are still tied for #4 in the country at +15 in the 3rd period.
      You know things aren't going well when we're interested in these types of stats.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by UMLDOUG View Post
        There is something about the third period with this lowell team. I got it they just plain suck right now in the third period. Wake up Lowell.
        A first round UNH/UML match up would be fascinating. Who wants it less?
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
          When they collapse they do so in spectacular fashion? I feel bad for some of the Srs. This has to be tough.
          The issue is the seniors

Comment

Originally posted by chiefs11 View Post
            The issue is the seniors
            Tape don't lie

https://youtu.be/NWblBgHYey4?t=95

Tyler Muller lets a puck carrier skate by him with a little Regina love tap somehow he ends up at the blue line. 2 seconds later Dimo is 1 on 1 with a guy at a bad angle. WHERE IS THE PUCK SUPPORT THERE IS A HUGE HOLE IN THE CENTER OF THE ICE.

Tyler Muller has to put a body on that guy plain and simple. He shyed away from making contact.

Bad leadership and the sad thing is Lowell looked like a GREAT hockey team from the 2nd period and until the Young goal
            Tully Rink Rat
            Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
            Youngstar
            UML Class of 09

Comment

The Pinho goal needs to be stopped from that far out!
              Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

You are correct in saying that tapes don't lie but obviously you need to understand the game of hockey and understand roles and responsibility on 4 vs 4. You are supposed to play man on man and maintain inside body position. 7 comes up the wall with the Providence puck carrier who dishes the puck to the player that goes down the wall and then cuts to the middle and ultimately scores. It is 7 job to stay with the man he originally commits to and prevent him from going to the net and that why he ends up high. I am assuming waves a stick at the puck carrier trying to force him wide to allow the Lowell forward to pick up the man. The problem on that goal is 15 is standing still checking nobody and is slow to recognize the switch and pick up his man. It is his check that scored the goal. Everyone else is paired up with a guy and that is why the middle of the ice is so open. Once you commit to a guy you are supposed to stay with that guy unless you call a switch. Even though Friar player went in uncontested, went to his backhand and was a very weak shot that went 5 hole and should have never gone in.

Also look at the tape on the first goal, defence have good coverage and have their man. The Lowell net front winger (16) gets puck focussed on shot from point and misses picking up the Providence forward who does a good job of losing a check and skates in from the blue line unchecked for the rebound. Again, bad rebound that goes right to the front of the net instead of to the corner. The third goal, forward (10) gets stripped in neutral zone for another bad turnover. Slapshot from far out that should have been stopped. Fourth goal is a bit of a broken play but Lowell slot coverage winger (28) watches the Friar player skate right by him. Fifth goal killing a penalty and we have 3+1 coverage scrumming on the wall. The Lowell net front coverage guy should stay at net but cheats to the strong side of the ice and leaving the Friar player wide open back door. Another questionable 5 hole goal where goalie committed early and opened himself up.

Not sure I agree that Lowell looked great. Did a good job defensively in shutting down Friars in the first 2 periods of the game but once again no real sustained pressure in the offensive zone and no real good grade A chances and/or second or third chances. With the exception of a couple shifts where they generated a little net front pressure, Lowell had very little zone time and Providence goalie and defence were not under much duress. Again scoring only 2 goals per game is not going to win many games. Power play was absolutely terrible last night again but I will comment on that at another time. When you are on the defensive side of the puck for 75% of the game like Lowell is most nights and you turn the puck over as much as they do, you cannot afford very many defensive breakdowns and you saw last night what happens when you do.
                I have said it before that everyone seems to quickly blame the defence but the structure that Lowell plays places a great deal of responsibility on all 5 players and if you truly understand the game you will see that there are many blown assignments all over the ice that are leading to this team's woes. Mr Sanderson you seem to always mention the leadership as being a problem but I will say that it is just not the leadership group on the ice that is letting the team down. You have many upperclassmen that are not carrying the load and contributing on a consistent basis. I have also said in some of my previous posts that the coaching staff need to shoulder some of the responsibility as well as the game plan is not good enough and certainly some very questionable coaching decisions are being made.

Comment

So then why didn't Tyler call the switch? He had the angle on Foley to drive him into the boards and Dimo was coming back up high to defend a drop pass and shot from the outside.

He read the play and the situation incorrectly (as did Dimo). You can't sit here and tell me he is without fault on that play as was every other guy on the ice. Where does that come from? Part of it is as you said coaching, but some of it lies on the player. These boys can't win on talent alone and having a teamwide breakdown on plays like that does not help the cause.

I don't like here and re-watching tape to point out mistakes. I take no joy in it to be honest and I know come off as a loudmouth boorish cynical *******. This has been a frustrating season between the lack of consistency, mismashed lines, which as resulted in very little buzz in the offense zone. I hate seeing zero un-tempo Bazin Ball hockey. I've come to realize at this point my problem with this team are my expecations were way to high going into the season.

See you all tonight
                  Tully Rink Rat
                  Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
                  Youngstar
                  UML Class of 09

Comment

Another lackluster performance ending in another loss.

A team that was (wrongly) picked for 2nd preseason is now pretty much guaranteed to play in the first round. Amazingly disappointing.
                    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

• Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                      Another lackluster performance ending in another loss.

A team that was (wrongly) picked for 2nd preseason is now pretty much guaranteed to play in the first round. Amazingly disappointing.
                      Talent

Comment

Merrimack is offering $15.00 tickets for Friday night's game. The game is also on NESN.

https://merrimackathletics.com/news/...ss-lowell.aspx

The game Saturday night at Lowell can be seen online on ESPN3.

Comment

The UConn/UMass game is on ESPN3 tonight. A UConn win ends any chance Lowell has at a 1st round bye. (I'm not sure they want that bye, but that's another question for another day.)
                          Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                          "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

The UConn/UMass game is on ESPN3 tonight. A UConn win ends any chance Lowell has at a 1st round bye. (I'm not sure they want that bye, but that's another question for another day.)
                            UMass wins it 3-2.

Comment

Weekend preview.
                              https://youtu.be/dpAOlUQTeuA

Comment

The scenarios for finishing 5th and getting a bye are fairly simply.

Lowell sweeps Merrimack, and Maine takes no more than 1 point from BC
                                Lowell takes 3 points from Merrimack and Maine gets swept by BC.

Anything else and Lowell hosts a 1st round series.
                                Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                                "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Working...
                                X