No announcement yet.

UMass Lowell 17/18 Season Thread: 21 Year Old Freshman Eating BU's Lunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMass Lowell 17/18 Season Thread: 21 Year Old Freshman Eating BU's Lunch

Well that was fun for a Tuesday night. Raced home from work, got in for a butchered anthem, drank 5 beers, heard the UML band try out some new tunes, watched UML kick some ***, went out for Mexican food and was in bed by 10:30. Hawks looked pretty crappy first half of first period but but once they got their act together it was off to the races. AIC looked basically like the fastest most skilled high school team ever.

Comment

I thought it was a boring game too. It was nice to see Lowell get a win and shutout, but again, very little sustained time in the offensive zone for Lowell. Only 22 SOG against AIC?

BC just got shutout on Monday, I expect they will come out flying Friday.

Comment

Well, they played to AIC's level especially during the ten minutes or so of the 1st period. They didn't get burned for it but they should be putting up at least 35+ plus shots on a team like AIC. No real buzzing of the net they just built a lead and grinded one out.

I'm still not sure sure how a school like AIC has Divison 1 hockey its not a cheap sport to operate. It just does not seem like a good allocation of resources for such a small school.
        Tully Rink Rat
        Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
        Youngstar
        UML Class of 09

Comment

Originally posted by Turk_Sanderson View Post
          I'm still not sure sure how a school like AIC has Divison 1 hockey its not a cheap sport to operate. It just does not seem like a good allocation of resources for such a small school.
          They are always one of those teams that will go out west and play a Penn State or Michigan twice with no return trips. I wonder if that's lucrative enough to pay a lot of the bills? They are a D2 school in all sports, so I'm not sure they can play down to D3.
          Last edited by Middle Street; 02-07-2018, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
            They are always one of those teams that will go out west and play a Penn State or Michigan twice with no return trips. I wonder if that's lucrative enough to pay a lot of the bills? They are a D2 school in all sports, so I'm not sure they can play down to D3.
            I can imagine those trips offset whatever costs they have to operate their program in terms of travel, ice time, personal. I highly doubt they are generating little revenue during their home dates. They are averaging 547 tickets sold for their home games at 6K seat arena. I believe their enrollment is about 1,700 students. I can't find a figure on endowment numbers but I can imagine it is modest at best.

Bentley, I can understand having D1 hockey given the school academic reputation, alumni base, and geographic location. They finally committed to the on-campus rink so they are trending in the right direction.

AIC I believe and correct me if I'm wrong has no intention of adding an on-campus facility and committed to the Mass Mutual Center? I don't know the details of their deal with the facility but 500 fans in a 6K arena sounds like a terrible expereince.
            Tully Rink Rat
            Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
            Youngstar
            UML Class of 09

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
              BC just got shutout on Monday, I expect they will come out flying Friday.
              The same for Amherst on Saturday night. They looked fast and quick when they played at Lowell. They'll be tough on the big ice and I'm sure they'll be determined to finally get a win against the Hawks. Both teams will be playing their third game in five days.

Comment

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                The same for Amherst on Saturday night. They looked fast and quick when they played at Lowell. They'll be tough on the big ice and I'm sure they'll be determined to finally get a win against the Hawks. Both teams will be playing their third game in five days.
                Ya them river hawks are one fast team

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                  Amherst looked fast that game but the main thing for them is they do not play any defense.
                  What did you say?
                  Who own the Chiefs?
                  What did he say?
                  Owns! Owns!

Comment

Just because I find stuff like this interesting ...

Since December started, Lowell is 6-0 on Friday nights, outscoring opponents 24-8 in that time frame. On Saturday's, they are 1-5, outscored 30-16.

In that same stretch (now including AIC), they're 5-0 at home, 24 GF 7 GA. On the road, they're 2-5, 15 GF 26 GA, and they're 1-1 in neutral site games (5-5 goals).

Basically, we win at home and on Friday nights. Saturday nights apparently aren't for fighting anymore. This doesn't bode well for two road games.
                    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

• Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                      Just because I find stuff like this interesting ...

Since December started, Lowell is 6-0 on Friday nights, outscoring opponents 24-8 in that time frame. On Saturday's, they are 1-5, outscored 30-16.

In that same stretch (now including AIC), they're 5-0 at home, 24 GF 7 GA. On the road, they're 2-5, 15 GF 26 GA, and they're 1-1 in neutral site games (5-5 goals).

Basically, we win at home and on Friday nights. Saturday nights apparently aren't for fighting anymore. This doesn't bode well for two road games.
                      Let's hope the next class is an improvement

Comment

Tonight's game at BC can be seen online at ESPN3 at 7:00 pm.

Other Hockey East games on TV tonight:
                        UConn @ Northeastern - NESN - 7:00 pm
                        Maine @ Providence - NESN Plus - 7:00 pm

Comment

Unbelievable....two brutal turnovers cost Lowell tonight. BC wins it with 6 seconds left in overtime 3-2.

Comment

Quite the gift at end of ot...thanks

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              Quite the gift at end of ot...thanks
                              The gift on the second BC goal wasn't bad either.

Comment

Lowell down to 7th place in the Hockey East standings as UConn moves ahead of them with a win over Northeastern tonight.

Game highlights:
                                https://youtu.be/NEAb-HY5CCo

A tough way to lose as the team played well and deserved better. A bad penalty by Nick Master tonight resulting in 5 minute major for charging and a game misconduct. Hopefully he'll be available tomorrow night.
                                Last edited by boblav1; 02-09-2018, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X