No announcement yet.

UMass Lowell 17/18 Season Thread: 21 Year Old Freshman Eating BU's Lunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMass Lowell 17/18 Season Thread: 21 Year Old Freshman Eating BU's Lunch

Harvard and Dartmouth on NESN tonight at 7:00 pm.

Comment

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
      No offense taken. Yes there are marginal calls made in every game. I just felt Lowell got the short end of the stick on those (marginal) calls last night. Surely NU could have been called for some of the same things. We didn't see these ticky-tacky calls on Friday night. I guess Holton and Murphy didn't get the memo.
      I’m sure you are right that NU might have been called for some other infractions. I have felt as you do many times and, more often than not, I have felt that way after watching us lose.
      Part of the “fabric” of the game is irregular, inconsistent way it is refereed. The action happens so quickly and the game moves ahead so quickly that only a very few and critical parts of the game are subject to review. Unfortunately one aspect that is not reviewable is whether a penalty call was made correctly. Only the severity of a called penalty, like a hit to the head, can be reviewed.
      We saw a couple of competitive and exciting games this weekend. Let’s do it again in a couple of week and finish at the Garden in March.

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
        Lowell's 5x3 kill was very impressive all night.. as i & fellow NU fans noted last night. I'm beginning to wonder if Norm got or read the directive..

oh.. & pls dont shoot the messenger.
        I think the point is the same infractions were occurring on both teams but only one was being called for them. Points of emphasis have been around forever. mr les sat on one of the committees of the NCAA for a few yrs. They argue about them ad nauseum, look at a bunch of factors then pass down the edict. The league decides how to handle them before the season starts, they discuss in preseason meetings and the players are all advised. They may remind folks of the points of emphasis if they are still happening a lot but usually they do it beginning of the season and that is all they need. They don't change the points of emphasis as the season progresses~ or at least not in yrs past

Comment

UML got the official's shaft and showed a lot of heart staying in the game Saturday night but losses like that they can go home with their heads held high. Unfortunately, they just didn't show up Friday night. Lazy play, plain and simple. After coasting around, hoping their teammates will make the play, watching NU players hustle, getting beat to every NU dump-in for 2 periods on Friday they didn't deserve any puck luck or breaks from Refs on Saturday and the weekend goes from only 2 points but positive to a debacle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
            Not so much bad as it was inconsistent. From what I could see on the NU stream, they had pretty much called a "black and white" game until the third period when all of a sudden they seemed to start with the marginal "ticky-tack" calls.
            I didn’t watch close enough... a few were along the lines of “I guess you could call that”... but also in the same breath “but they usually don’t”

I wish for the day of a reliable HD game stream from Lowell. Free would be nice but im not asking for a miracle.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

From the Lowell Sun:

UMASS LOWELL’S STREAK ENDS
              After two weekend losses to Northeastern, the UMass Lowell hockey team is no longer ranked, ending a stretch of 120 weeks in which the River Hawks were ranked in either the USCHO or the USAHockey Magazine poll. The stretch began when UML appeared at No. 20 in the USCHO poll on Jan. 7, 2013. Of those 120 weeks, more than two thirds (83), were spent in the top 10. Only Boston College had a longer streak in the nation.

Comment

Don't worry you guys will feel better once you feast on some black bears.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Don't worry you guys will feel better once you feast on some black bears.

wally I feel for you guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                    wally I feel for you guys.
                    I don’t... fresh rugs for one and all

(I like Wally, I just don’t have any sympathy about beating Maine into a bloody stump)

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                      I don’t... fresh rugs for one and all

(I like Wally, I just don’t have any sympathy about beating Maine into a bloody stump)
                      Don't blame you, Maine owned Lowell for many years. I loved going to games at tully, what a blast that was to be so close the refs would turn and look when you yelled at them. From 87 to 2007 Maine had quite a run. Had my guts ripped out in 92,02 and 04. Nothing can compare to 93 but I like 99 even better. Saw one of best frozen four games in providence in 95, beating Michigan on a face off. Niko beating BC in HE playoffs. Etc.
                      With that said, Maine is now a bottom feeder. It seems like they haven't won on the road in years. Lowell will come out of their funk this weekend.

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• maine has a lot of talent. i'll lv it at that.
                        GO NU HOCKEY
                        Always bullish on the future.
                        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Looking forward to my first trip to Tsongas this weekend. I'll be there for the Saturday game. Thank you to all who provided arena seating guidance. UMaine win or lose I always look forward to seeing a Norm Bazin coached team.
                          UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            Don't blame you, Maine owned Lowell for many years. I loved going to games at tully, what a blast that was to be so close the refs would turn and look when you yelled at them. From 87 to 2007 Maine had quite a run. Had my guts ripped out in 92,02 and 04. Nothing can compare to 93 but I like 99 even better. Saw one of best frozen four games in providence in 95, beating Michigan on a face off. Niko beating BC in HE playoffs. Etc.
                            With that said, Maine is now a bottom feeder. It seems like they haven't won on the road in years. Lowell will come out of their funk this weekend.

Why I hate...

BU - Parker
                            BC - Fans
                            NU - Fans/Students
                            VT - jcarter
                            ME - non-message board fans
                            CT - because I can, Bruce Marshall
                            MA - don’t even start
                            MC - divine right
                            NH - results on ice
                            PC - meh

You guys on here seem nice over the years... grab a beer and all that

Other than that... goonery with the lead seems to be hallmark of Maine hockey... it works but it’s infuriating

Had no specific animus with Walshy but he did die my soph year though I’d known about him for awhile... I know the goonery was his strategy but he didn’t explicitly bother me
                            Last edited by Patman; 11-01-2017, 12:34 PM.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Patman
                              What could you possibly have against the Dog House and other lovely fans at NU? I can guarantee you that we don't sit around thinking hateful thoughts about your people. They are pleasant enough - even reminding one of peaceful ghosts when their team is trailing. There is simply nothing there for us to sink our teeth into. OTOH, BC/bu fans with their superior-than-thou attitude should be fresh meat for you. UNH fish flingers, as well as Mainers are forever whining about their coach. Everyone knows that the UmASS students fans are just plain vulgar. The UVM locals can be very nasty if their boys are outdone. The rest are, as you say, "meh". None of our groups intend to be calm or soothing to our opponents. So, there's no need to make midweek lists. just wait for the weekend to arrive so that you can hate the ones you're with.

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                                Patman
                                What could you possibly have against the Dog House and other lovely fans at NU? I can guarantee you that we don't sit around thinking hateful thoughts about your people. They are pleasant enough - even reminding one of peaceful ghosts when their team is trailing. There is simply nothing there for us to sink our teeth into. OTOH, BC/bu fans with their superior-than-thou attitude should be fresh meat for you. UNH fish flingers, as well as Mainers are forever whining about their coach. Everyone knows that the UmASS students fans are just plain vulgar. The UVM locals can be very nasty if their boys are outdone. The rest are, as you say, "meh". None of our groups intend to be calm or soothing to our opponents. So, there's no need to make midweek lists. just wait for the weekend to arrive so that you can hate the ones you're with.
                                I will take a guess. A 'few' yrs ago when NU traveled really well the Dog Pound came into our arena and acted like complete idiots. Purposely obnoxious not to students but to families with kids in my section which was across the arena from the student section. Foul language, taunting, standing so the little kids couldn't see- telling the people who couldn't see (season ticket holders) they should move. There was a big to do. There were some folks on the Board who were really nice people but the 'Pound' that came visiting were an embarrassment. Not cool.

Then for us older folk there was a a time when there were things thrown at our players visiting Matthews. Large brawl ensued including some of our players hiking up into the stands to handle business. (That is very, very old business)
                                Last edited by leswp1; 11-01-2017, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X