No announcement yet.

UMass Lowell 17/18 Season Thread: 21 Year Old Freshman Eating BU's Lunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMass Lowell 17/18 Season Thread: 21 Year Old Freshman Eating BU's Lunch

Originally posted by Turk_Sanderson View Post
    What is Jim Montgomery so salty about? They came out east this year to play BC/BU

Happy Thanksgiving!
    I'm surprised Montgomery has yet to have Maine on the schedule. This is his fifth season at Denver.

NESN and NESN Plus will be broadcasting the Friendship Four games live this weekend.

Fri. - (NESN)
    10:00 am - Clarkson vs RPI
    2:00 pm - Providence vs Maine

Sat. - (NESN Plus)
    10:00 am - TBD
    2:00 pm - TBD
    Last edited by boblav1; 11-23-2017, 08:16 PM.

Comment

There are 20 games left in the regular season and 13 of those 20 are against teams currently ranked 43rd or worse in the Pairwise, with 7 of those games against teams currently ranked in the bottom 5 of the Pairwise. The schedule is certainly set up for a nice 2nd half as long as they take care of business.
      Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
      "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
        There are 20 games left in the regular season and 13 of those 20 are against teams currently ranked 43rd or worse in the Pairwise, with 7 of those games against teams currently ranked in the bottom 5 of the Pairwise. The schedule is certainly set up for a nice 2nd half as long as they take care of business.
        I look at it like this

They can only afford to lose or tie 5-6 more games.

They need to sweep UVM, Umass, and Merrimack on the HE side. Which should be the expectation.

Bentley, Almost In College, St. Lawrence, and the AZ State series I would think my assumption of wins would be valid.

1 against Harvard 2 against BU 3 games against BC 2 against Providence

At worst they can go 6-2 maybe 5-3 in these matchups

I still think given Hockey East's poor showing in Out of Conference play might force us into a situation like 2015 where we have 20 wins but have to win the HE tourney to get in.
        Tully Rink Rat
        Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
        Youngstar
        UML Class of 09

Comment

I look at it like this

They can only afford to lose or tie 5-6 more games.

They need to sweep UVM, Umass, and Merrimack on the HE side. Which should be the expectation.

Bentley, Almost In College, St. Lawrence, and the AZ State series I would think my assumption of wins would be valid.

1 against Harvard 2 against BU 3 games against BC 2 against Providence

At worst they can go 6-2 maybe 5-3 in these matchups

I still think given Hockey East's poor showing in Out of Conference play might force us into a situation like 2015 where we have 20 wins but have to win the HE tourney to get in.
          Lowell's OOC record is good thus far. They have only one loss against a team currently #9 in the PWR, and they even have a win against a team currently the #2. This is along with some additional HE OOC wins is this weekend had them jump from the 20's to #17 this weekend after having not played a game. The HE OOC record leaves little room for error though. Any losses against the OOC teams that remain could seriously hurt them.

Also Umass is going to be a tough out this year. They just swept Q.

I think they are in good shape at this point in the season, especially given the slow start. This Bentley game worries me though. I have a feeling it may be similar to that game against AIC a couple years back where they just barely win it.
          Last edited by Middle Street; 11-26-2017, 01:56 PM.

Comment

I dont know if this has already been discussed in this thread but, how do we feel about the goaltending situation? Obviously Tyler Wall has not been performing up to expectations but does starting Hernberg help in the long run?

Comment

Originally posted by kevin41182 View Post
              I dont know if this has already been discussed in this thread but, how do we feel about the goaltending situation? Obviously Tyler Wall has not been performing up to expectations but does starting Hernberg help in the long run?
              Welcome to the forum!

I mentioned in the recruiting thread that I think there is risk Tyler will transfer at the end of the season if he can't turn it around and earn playing time. That said, hopefully he knows he hasn't played well enough to deserve the starts, and he stays committed to the program.

Also, there's just no way Hernberg can sustain his current save % of .946. That number is going to come down some, but hopefully not tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                Welcome to the forum!

I mentioned in the recruiting thread that I think there is risk Tyler will transfer at the end of the season if he can't turn it around and earn playing time. That said, hopefully he knows he hasn't played well enough to deserve the starts, and he stays committed to the program.

Also, there's just no way Hernberg can sustain his current save % of .946. That number is going to come down some, but hopefully not tonight!
                Transferring would be the worst thing that Wall could do. If he transfers, he has to sit out a year, something the Rangers obviously would not want for his development.
                Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Transferring would be the worst thing that Wall could do. If he transfers, he has to sit out a year, something the Rangers obviously would not want for his development.
                  Transfers still practice with their new team and he would then have 2 years of eligibility left. The alternative could be sitting behind Hernberg next season again and then only having 1 year left. That's a lot of assumptions though. He could still win the job back this season or next.

Comment

Who knows maybe Wall will get the start tonight knowing as Bentley should be a win either way.

Comment

• Originally posted by kevin41182 View Post
                      Who knows maybe Wall will get the start tonight knowing as Bentley should be a win either way.
                      Unless half of Bentley has dengue fever I wouldn’t assume that at all
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by kevin41182 View Post
                        Hopefully the Hawks continue their strong play tonight. They can't afford to look past any team.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                          Unless half of Bentley has dengue fever I wouldn’t assume that at all
                          whattayaknow, they didn't have dengue
                          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                          Skating Friar Jersey
                          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

I spoke to soon after the 6-0 Maine loss

THAT was the most demoralizing loss of the season
                            Tully Rink Rat
                            Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
                            Youngstar
                            UML Class of 09

Comment

I spoke to soon after the 6-0 Maine loss

THAT was the most demoralizing loss of the season
                              It never fails, you let a team hang around and you get burned in the end. Congratulations to Bentley on the win.

I thought the Hawks had finally figured out what it takes to be successful. The lack of urgency / killer instinct is frustrating. Where's the team leadership? Depending on how things go the rest of the way this loss could cost them in March.

http://www.goriverhawks.com/news/201...rtime-3-2.aspx
                              Last edited by boblav1; 11-28-2017, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Huge step backwards tonight. I said earlier I thought this team was in good shape, but now I am wondering if they will win 17-18 games. Given what we've seen, would anyone be surprised if they drop games against UMass and Arizona State?

I was particularly disappointed to see the team go 0/5 on the PP tonight.

Lots of time off now to work on things before BU.

Comment

Working...
                                X