• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard crimson 2017-18

Harvard 1
    BC 8

A bit disappointing !!

Well the question as to where Lexie Laing is was answered tonight. She was at Bright-Landry tonight on crutches watching the game with her sister Denna.

Lexie had hip surgery and is apparently out for the year. Sad to learn that, nice kid and good player

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
      Harvard 1
      BC 8

A bit disappointing !!
      Idk, I enjoyed it
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Hate to miss the rematch at Conte. I’ll be in North Korea.

(Btw, Happy T-Day all.)

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
          Thx. Believe it or not we can use a little help on this thread.
          I've been asked not to post on this thread so I'm abiding by that request.

Comment

Hate to miss the rematch at Conte. I’ll be in North Korea.

(Btw, Happy T-Day all.)
            I wish sooooo badly that you weren't joking, I want to go to North Korea so badly
            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

My not watching didn’t seem to affect the outcome at Schenectady. (Truth be told, everyone but the losing team appreciates a Union turn-around.)

Harvard with 15 skaters yesterday, 14 today: no Tse, no Hallett, no Dani K, with Colbert off the roster after 9 games, while Warner has no recorded ice time at all (?). Never mind. They’ll be in fine shape for BC after they tune-up with Colgate next weekend.
              Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 01-06-2018, 04:57 PM.

Comment

No doubt about it, it's been very frustrating this year. Time and chance happeneth to us all. In addition to the current injuries, just think, two years ago when we looked ahead to this season we would have expected to be seeing an additional forward line, consisting of of Laing-Heffernan-Zarzecki, out there. We now have a very small, very young team, but can enjoy some good play this year from them and clearly look ahead to better times.

Comment

Tied for ECAC #1, ( #3 PWR ) #4 'gate moves past last weekend's sweep to Harvard/Dartmouth in the coming weekend.

A. O. Jan 8, 2018 ,The Schedule trumps “seat of the pants eyeball tests” as predictors of 2017-18 regular/post-season

Despite agreeing with some of the reservations expressed about this team’s on ice performance, the reservations become background noise now. At this point, I consider observations like this, made during the season, less important, even if the accuracy of the observations persist: a. not being an “elite” team, b. having “unconvincing wins,” c.“struggling, d.” being “overrated in the polls,” e. “struggling vs. any Top PWR team,” etc.
                  Everything is subordinated to finessing the schedule from here for maximizing what are significant accomplishments for 'GATE WIH's year and the culmination of a marvelous 3 year program renaissance. The risk-reward of this path will change week-by-week in the six weeks of regular season play remaining. Knowing what's significant and yet likely-doable for this team is important now. I think my goals are attainable. Let’s call it the "slipping under the radar scenario." My ultimate goal is satisfied by: 1. smartly exceeding the record 22 win seasons of 15-16 and 16-17, 2. making it to the ECAC Final via a win as 2 or 3 seed in the ECAC Tournament bye and semi-final rounds and 3. maintaining a top 4 PWR post season-getting an invite to the 2018 NCAA tournament-w.o an ECAC Championship and regardless of NCAA seed.

1. Clarkson- the odds on favorite. Even dropping a 2nd game to ‘gate may not prevent ECAC championship on their ice ? Don’t have to beat them to get to NCAA.
                  2. Colgate-13 games left; 7 at home over next three weeks. Harvard this weekend and St Lawrence-Clarkson on 1/26-7 are the "biggies"
                  3. St. Lawrence-3 pts out of 1st, might upcoming game @ Colgate determine who gets 2nd or 3rd place ECAC RS position ? How much does it matter ?
                  4. Cornell- dropped two games this past weekend and fell 4 pts behind. Playing the same schedule as ‘gate, can they make it up with the same 12 remaining games as ‘gate ? No wiggle room with Clarkson, St Lawrence and arch rival Harvard ( 2),

5. Harvard: 2 games each left against Clarkson, St. Lawrence, Cornell and Colgate. Need I say more about probability of being a factor ?
                  6. Quinnipiac- Their 16 pt. ECAC 1st place tie this week is virtually meaningless. They only have 8 ECAC games to play while the rest of the league has 12.

For the backstory of this 3 year renaissance of 'gate WIH : https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/colg...round-t23.html
                  Last edited by Raider Archivist; 01-08-2018, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider Archivist View Post
                    For the backstory of this 3 year renaissance of 'gate WIH : https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/colg...round-t23.html

Thanks for posting here. Are you sure you're not nervous about Harvard?
                    Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 01-08-2018, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks for posting here. Are you sure you're not nervous about Harvard?
                      Definitely nervous about Harvard-'Gate games. Always a tough game for Colgate. For post-season posturing, 'Gate can't afford any losses through season's end.
                      But, the C-H h&h's significance is not consequential because H's remaining schedule is a killer for post-season jockeying. Harvard has a big challenge ahead in the next 6 weeks: h & h's with Clarkson, Colgate, Cornell and St Lawrence. Quite a gauntlet of 8 tough games. They won't win all of them.
                      Last edited by Raider Archivist; 01-14-2018, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                        I wish sooooo badly that you weren't joking, I want to go to North Korea so badly
                        Who says I was joking? (In truth, I was able to work from home and save us both the trip, but I still can't get to Conte Tuesday night.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/13/w...ef=todayspaper
                        Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 01-14-2018, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Before the BC onslaught tonight it must be said that this past weekend the Crimson played four relatively strong consecutive periods against two ranked teams, starting in the third against Colgate, where they reversed the first period SOG disparity, and throughout the Cornell game. Still too many errant passes, still too many low probability shots, still too many PK “clears” to the blue line, but also still a short bench playing two pretty intense games. I think Stone pulled Larcom in the Cornell game not so much for the goals allowed (hard to tell with streaming, especially with no replay) as for the opportunity to see the freshman Dutton under pressure, and she looked just fine. There is a program here.

Speaking of streaming, the Colgate guy took the familiar play-by-play approach known as TALK ABOUT ANYTHING EXCEPT WHAT'S HAPPENING ON THE ICE, ESPECIALLY PENALTIES to new heights. The Cornell guy, on the other hand, was excellent, even knowing the names of the opposition players! Despite the Ivy League blowing its own horn during every break (just who do they think is watching these games?) the Ivy Digital Network does seem to be making some progress.

On to BC!
                          Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 01-16-2018, 07:30 AM.

Comment

" Despite the Ivy League blowing its own horn during every break (just who do they think is watching these games?)"

Maybe they think they aren't getting enough 17 year olds to apply these days and are trying to drum up applicants? (LOL)

On to BC![/QUOTE]

Comment

If Colgate is a #4 team then Harvard looked like a #5 team for 52:50, trailing 1-0. Then all hell broke loose. Don’t ask me how 1-0 became 2-0 became 3-0 became 4-0. I was down at the other end, anticipating a pulled goalie and the tying score in the waning seconds of the game, just as with Cornell the day before. Still . . . I would not want to be BU Tuesday night.

Between periods this weekend at Bright, and presumably elsewhere, they showed a short video dramatization of a player going through a concussion protocol, ending with his return to the ice. It was my first introduction to the Headway Foundation, started by Jo Pucci and other concussion sufferers, including her sister.

http://headwayfoundation.com/

Scroll down for the “New Tough” video.

Comment

If Colgate is a #4 team then Harvard looked like a #5 team for 52:50, trailing 1-0. Then all hell broke loose. Don’t ask me how 1-0 became 2-0 became 3-0 became 4-0. I was down at the other end, anticipating a pulled goalie and the tying score in the waning seconds of the game, just as with Cornell the day before. Still . . . I would not want to be BU Tuesday night.

Between periods this weekend at Bright, and presumably elsewhere, they showed a short video dramatization of a player going through a concussion protocol, ending with his return to the ice. It was my first introduction to the Headway Foundation, started by Jo Pucci and other concussion sufferers, including her sister.

http://headwayfoundation.com/

Scroll down for the “New Tough” video.
                                Thanks for posting the information on Jo Pucci's Foundation. She is a wonderful person and I wish her and her sister all the best.

Even though I'm not supposed to post here, I'll share my thoughts and take my chances. Colgate has been coming on for the past two seasons. What I saw was a Crimson team that struggled to create offense and was chasing the puck for a good portion of the game. There were long stretches where Harvard simply could not get out of their own zone. I don't care much for rankings but I do know that Colgate is that good and will be a force in the playoffs.

As for the Crimson, the amount of injuries and defections from the program have left them with a short bench. This isn't a new phenomenon. They have been dealing with this for several years and it has caught up to them in the past two seasons. They do have more talent this year and perhaps with a couple of strong recruiting classes, better health and having everyone on the same page and committed to the program, they will return to the top four of the ECAC again. A lot of 'ifs' but certainly reasonable.

Comment

Working...
                                X