Northeastern Huskies 2017-18: Every Dog Has its Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2017-18: Every Dog Has its Day

There is such a fine line between majors and minors hitting from behind. I really never know what to expect from a call. A lot of times it seems that the severity of the penalty depends on how long the player that was hit remains down. It wasn't the case in this incident. I'm not saying it was a bad or good call, I'm just saying I don't know how those calls are made.

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
      Well in what was pretty much a nearly empty Conti Forum I watched NU play really great hockey for all but 50 or 55 minutes. Aside from a lapse at the end of the 2nd made possible by a couple of questionable minors that gave BC a 5 on 3 and left us with a gassed line, I think we were the better team. NU played really nearly textbook 3 zone hockey and overall smart play that displayed the many offensive talents of the arguably the best offensive player in the nation in DS and a pretty good darn good goalie between the pipes for NU. I don’t remember a season where we won 3 of 4 vs. BU and BC. Enjoying this! Nice job boyz, 2 more games before the break, let’s finish strong!
      Rubber Match on February 5th ))

Disappointed in the crowd size after the noon game that was packed for Duke.

The snow was great for less traffic but bad for crowd support for the night tilt.
      Last edited by BCeagle; 12-10-2017, 12:37 PM.
      NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by njdevscup30 View Post
        There is such a fine line between majors and minors hitting from behind. I really never know what to expect from a call. A lot of times it seems that the severity of the penalty depends on how long the player that was hit remains down. It wasn't the case in this incident. I'm not saying it was a bad or good call, I'm just saying I don't know how those calls are made.
        The two basic criteria referees in North America use for determining if an infraction is a minor or major is 1) intent and 2) degree of violence. And with specific reference to checking from behind, the generally accepted interpretation is driving an opponent head first into the boards, glass, or goal frame gets a 5+Game.

Solow (thankfully) had his head up when he took the hit but it was definitely delivered directly from behind and arguably with more force than needed. This particular hit might or might not draw a penalty in the pros but it's almost always going to get called in the college game.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Seeing solow go into the boards like that made it seem worse than it actually was but when you're coming from behind need to do a better job of almost bear hugging him into the wall. Probably more fitting of a 2 min penalty but don't give hockey east refs the chance to be dumb.

Comment

Oh they are selling beer at BC now and it's allowed in the stands and thick I saw it up at Merrimack too. Was there an NCCA rules change? I know NU has had the Lic. for Alumni Club since it opened but you can't leave the club with alcohol. BU had that grandfathered lic. from the Boston Braves when they played at Braves Field before it was Nickerson and as a result has always had it in the stands. Would luv to see brews in the stands at Matthews!

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
              Oh they are selling beer at BC now and it's allowed in the stands and thick I saw it up at Merrimack too. Was there an NCCA rules change? I know NU has had the Lic. for Alumni Club since it opened but you can't leave the club with alcohol. BU had that grandfathered lic. from the Boston Braves when they played at Braves Field before it was Nickerson and as a result has always had it in the stands. Would luv to see brews in the stands at Matthews!

.. you woke up early for this one..
              GO NU HOCKEY
              Always bullish on the future.
              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

New AD came from Ohio State and they just started selling beer at football games last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
                  Any arena can get a license to serve. Doesn’t matter at all if it is owned by a college unless it is a NCAA sanctioned event.

Comment

A regular season 5 -2 record against BC, bu, and Lowell, 3 perennially tough HE teams, is nothing short of a job well done.
                    And as can be seen over the last few weeks, there is room for improvement.

For this Huskies team, I think the best is yet to come

Comment

Jeff Cox‏
                      @JeffCoxSports
                      Following Following @JeffCoxSports
                      More
                      '02 D Charlie DesRoches (Selects Academy 15U) commits to Northeastern. PEI native is an elite puck-moving, offensive d-man. Good skater, good stick, thinks the game well. Huge get for the Huskies.

Comment

Jeff Cox‏
                        @JeffCoxSports
                        Following Following @JeffCoxSports
                        More
                        '02 D Charlie DesRoches (Selects Academy 15U) commits to Northeastern. PEI native is an elite puck-moving, offensive d-man. Good skater, good stick, thinks the game well. Huge get for the Huskies.

Comment

New commitment, an elite defenseman from Canada. 2002 birth year.

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/ge...lects-academy/
                          "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                            New commitment, an elite defenseman from Canada. 2002 birth year.

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/ge...lects-academy/

very nice, congrats to him & to NU.

Now let's get ready for 'Mack.. tough to beat a opponent 3 of 3 + they have been playing well & getting the puck luck (rightly so) of late.
                            Hopefully team has another fast start.. should be another hard fought gm. Go Huskies
                            GO NU HOCKEY
                            Always bullish on the future.
                            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Jeff Cox on Twitter..."Northeastern is optimistic forwards Brandon Hawkins and Liam Pecararo can play at Merrimack Saturday, but first semester (ends Friday) grades have to be posted in order for them to be eligible"

Gotta imagine they'll replace Selanne and Lerario...which would change our forward depth from a big question to a potential strength.
                              2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                              2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                                Jeff Cox on Twitter..."Northeastern is optimistic forwards Brandon Hawkins and Liam Pecararo can play at Merrimack Saturday, but first semester (ends Friday) grades have to be posted in order for them to be eligible"

Gotta imagine they'll replace Selanne and Lerario...which would change our forward depth from a big question to a potential strength.
                                Jeff is correct, but I disagree about who will sit. Bobby Hampton, who is a center hasn't done much as the RW on the third line - not a point from him at the position. Hawkins is a RW who could help in Hampton's spot. I don't expect JM to replace Selanne, as Eetu and his line have played well. Pecararo is a left shot who can play on either side. I'm really guessing here, but Schule, who was a top scorer in a so-so USPL, who has done little on offense. However, he has done nice work on D. Tough choice for JM. I can't see him not putting the two transfers on the ice - They have both sat out longer than they should have. Hawkins was somewhat shafted by the NC$$. Peca is a whole 'nother story. They must be starved for game action. Saturday will be interesting!

Comment

Working...
                                X