Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northeastern Huskies 2017-18: Every Dog Has its Day

Originally posted by Tilldog40 View Post
    I would have pulled Ruck after that 3rd goal.
    Me too...

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
      Me too...
      Ruck, def shaky in those last 2. Looks like needs some polishing from the summer.. Also sloppy PK on our part in the 3rd. Coasting at 6-1.. let them back in at 6-3.. only to take the reins back a bit at the end.

Someone asked re Solow.. he works hard.. grinder type. Finishes his hits. His slapshot to put us up 7-3 was a bomb. No let up tomorrow. Go NU
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

I don’t want to negative but nobody checked tonight. Couple times players could have made real hard clean hits and didn’t. It’s great having skill guys but we don’t really have any bangers. Lerario is fiesta but not an effective checker. Hockey East has some teams that will knock you around. I hope this team is tough.
        These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

A win is good. A win by multiple goals where we were the clear better team is good. A win where we were the better team and there was never any doubt is good. Tonight is a net positive.

The good:
          - Solow is legit. Adept passer, that slapshot was a bomb, immediately PP time, defensively responsible, plays hard and physical. Gonna be a fan favorite and a producer.
          - Secondary scoring came alive and may be a sign of things to come. Jozefek looked great, continuing his great play from last week. Filipe was solid, a good power forward game. Sometimes a little too fancy. Hopefully this goal and time with Filipe sparks Griffin a bit.
          - The defense was engaging down low in the offensive zone, helping to continue the cycle, drive the puck in the middle, and they also activated quite a bit through the neutral zone to push the play up. Saw it with the usual suspects (Davies, Cockerill, sometimes Williams), but Trevor Owens looked faster than last year and quite active running the transition offense. His feed to Filipe for 17's second game was lovely.
          - Huskies won 58% of faceoffs, 37 of 63 draws. Big improvement from last year's overall numbers. Gaudette was 11/20, Solow was 15/22, and Stevens was 5/7. Filipe took the draw for his line it seemed, and was 2/6.

The bad:
          - They seemed to lose interest/steam/that killer instinct after the first period, leading to a big SHU push in the second that Ruck stymied and then two bad penalties and goals against in the third. I hope Madigan beats into them that there are no guarantees and that they need to play a complete 60 minutes.
          - Too many fancy passes, drop passes, extra passes, behind-the-back-for-the-highlight-reel passes. Need to be crisper and more accurate.
          - Ruck. Once again, a game where he saves under 90% of shots (19/22, 86.4%). I thought he looked very solid in the first two periods, good positioning, rebound control, and lateral movement when he needed it. That third period killed my confidence in him. Neither of those powerplay goals should be let in, especially the first one.
          - Penalty kill. 3/5 against a PP that was <10% last year isn't good at all.

Hope Primeau starts tomorrow. Wouldn't be surprised to see some lines shakeup but mostly consistency would be nice.
          "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Nice start
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

In his postgame presser, Jim wasn't happy with the defensive effort and selfish play specifically in the 3rd period. Good to see the coaching staff isn't satisfied playing sloppily and winning easily against an inferior opponent. Like others have noted, I'm hoping to see Primeau tonight. Ruck wasn't terrible, but another game where he had a <90% save percentage.
              2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
              2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

I also like what coach said and am very curious to see how they respond tonight. This team shouldn’t let 2 goals in tonight. I wanna see the shutout. Go Dogs!!!!
                These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

Ok I watched the live stream, they actually looked a lot better than last night, especially thru the neutral zone. Let's cut to the chase, do we have a starting goalie controversy? Should we?

Comment

more like it. way to go Primeau & co. Not saying he is ready for HE primetime.. (he may be).. but he is definitely close. Couple more outings for them both.. & hopefully things settle in for the best. Go NU!
                    GO NU HOCKEY
                    Always bullish on the future.
                    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Didn't watch the 3rd period but sounds like Solow and Filipe were shaken up by SHU gooning it up late on the game. Not good. Also, Primeau should start next weekend.
                      2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                      2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Most of my thoughts will be on the blog (which I will post), but I thought SAturday was a MUCH better performance by the team. Never in any doubt, really never thought SHU had great scoring chances or long stretches of control like they did on Friday. They certainly had *some* chances but Primeau/the defense stopped them all.

Primeau looked legit. Very few tough saves, stopped a relatively simple 1-on-1 attempt, but he just looked so much better in net. He takes up more space, controls rebounds better, and covers the bottom of the net well, all better than 41 IMO. He looked every bit the goaltender we thought we were getting, and it's certainly a confidence booster getting a shutout in his first game.

I DEFINITELY agree with what other NU fans said this weekend about Trevor Owens. I made multiple comments this weekend about how well he looked, skating faster than I can ever remember, and today having some dangles that we've never seen before! He is pushing the puck up, joining the rush, and it seems that he's fully healthy and has improved greatly since last season. I commented that he is a "perfectly serviceable third pairing hockey east defenseman," and I am excited to see what he can do this year after this weekend. Thought Cecere looked good today too, even chipping in two assists.

Penalties were out of control, Filipe and Gaudette both got tossed on awful majors. SHU was more goon-ish I thought than the Canadian team!

Madigan said after the game that Solow "will be ok," and Filipe was pulled late and was seen icing his leg/knee. I am more concerned about Solow after that nasty, nasty hit, but it'll be vital for this team for them both to be healthy. Solow looks special, man. He is legit.
                        "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Recap post on the weekend: http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/ga...astern-hockey/
                          "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

After week 1, up to #14 in the USCHO poll (from 20), down to #14 in USA Today (from 13, bumped by Tech who won their Ice Breaker Tournament), and ranked 9th by Buccigross. Solid start to the year
                            "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                              After week 1, up to #14 in the USCHO poll (from 20), down to #14 in USA Today (from 13, bumped by Tech who won their Ice Breaker Tournament), and ranked 9th by Buccigross...
                              Nice! Been awhile since this thread has been allowed into the pole dances.
                              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Huskies did what they were supposed to do, dominate a weaker opponent. Interested to see how they do with Q in 2 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X