Northeastern Huskies 2017-18: Every Dog Has its Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2017-18: Every Dog Has its Day

You were afraid to say so, but given the talent the Huskies have and the relatively underperforming seasons from the others, you wondered if they couldn't win it this year then when? The first ten minutes, as much as I appreciate the team being mentally stronger than in the past, they looked nervous. Man that second intermission was tough, I thought "either they're going to win this, or suffer an epic soul-crushing collapse." They ground out the minutes of that third period so well. You could tell that Quinn was getting frustrated over there, he had no answers. The only way they could get over this hump was for every phase of the game to be good, and they were. Every time I thought "make them pay on this power play" they did.

Two things that have impressed me so much during Madigan's tenure - one, the talent level on the team is so much better than 10 or 20 years ago. Back then this was a scrappy team that couldn't skate with BC or BU. Now look at them - they can not only play the same game but do it better. Secondly, I feel like they're so much stronger mentally going into games like these than 10 or 20 years ago. I have to think that having a coach who's been there and done that has some good effect. A credit to the coaching staff for building and preparing everything and everyone involved.
    Let's Go Huskies!

Northeastern University '02

Comment

super happy for all of you, congrats!!!!

Comment

FINALLY! Congrats guys!

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
        -Blackadder
        "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
        -Casablanca
        "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
        -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Congrats on a great win. Your first line may be the best in college hockey. Gaudette is an absolute beast.

Comment

Congratulations! I'll always root for NotBU and NotBC in the beanpot.

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
              For Jack and for Moose and for all Huskies fans far and wide. Congrats to the older fans who have stood by this team for so long. My 7 years since enrolling and then graduating pales in comparison to some of you. Y'all are the real die hard dogs.
              As one of those "older fans", I have had the pleasure of being present for all 5 (That's FIVE) Beanpot championships. While none will match the OT win vs. BC in 1980, Last night ended what had become a longer drought of 30 years.
              I thought I had reached a pleasant state of peace and contentment as I drove home, but I was soon to discover how cranked up I was. Left alone with my DVR, I had the bright idea that I should watch the game for the second time - you know, to capture some of the moments I might have missed at the Garden. By the time I got to sleep(?) it was nearly 3 AM. Today, I'm just a little bit more than worthless, but I'm still smiling.

By the time I expired, I had a greater appreciation of all of the effort and energy that was exerted by the "role players". The third and fourth lines and defense have combined to make us very hard to score on. In particular, the work of the 4th line, With John Picking picking the pockets of the bu D and setting up his linemates who forced Oettenger to make some terrific saves. I felt happy for guys like Theut who has stuck around for 4 years as a backup and has had to stay ready "just in case". The memory of having had the chance to hoist the "Pot" will stay with him for life. Others like D Garret Cecere, who although he has never scored a goal, has contributed by stopping or disrupting the opposing forwards and clearing the zone. He's not someone that other teams give much thought to, but they should have. He's under the radar. He should take pride in the shutout of BC and that bu managed just two (very greasy) goals over the last two games.

While the first line is our best since Martel, Huck and Sherlock (that reference is for you "Split-N), good teams need these role players to support the play of their stars. Like the linemen in football, they don't get much recognition, but they make it possible for the "skill" players to do what they do.
              Last edited by HHound; 02-13-2018, 01:25 PM.

Comment

I, too, have been lucky enough to have seen all 5 Beanpot victories. As for this team, looking at the big picture, several players don't get noticed because it's so easy to get caught up in the 8/9/21/31/4 brilliance. I absolutely love the players Garrett Cecere and Trevor Owens have become. I got an extra kick out of Owen's goal last night. The growth in John Picking's game from last season to this one should not be taken for granted. Lincoln Griffin got to NU a year sooner than planned and had to fill a spot and did, scoring a goal in the HE semi against BC and continues to be a solid cog. Goldstein, Schultz, Schule, Hampton and the other 4th+ liners don't have it easy. Last night I was surprised to see Schultz dressed for the first time in awhile but he played just fine. I know we'd all like to see NU win HE and make noise in the NCAA. But to tell the truth, whatever happens for the rest of the season, last nights win makes it all good with me.

Comment

Copied from dieharddogs.com:

In order to show the school the power of success, please take some time and donate a few dollars to the men's hockey team if you can afford it. It would be nice for them to see an uptick in donations over the next week.

There is a grass roots effort amongst some alumni on facebook for those who have not seen it yet.

Beanpot Challenge - get 500 alum/friends of hockey to donate $100 to program by Friday.

Donate to: https://giving.north...ens-hockey-fund

Select as an Honor gift and put in Beanpot 2018 as First name of honoree and Madigan as Last Name. Also after you enter credit card info under special instructions put in "In honor of the 2018 Beanpot Championship."
                  "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                    Copied from dieharddogs.com:

In order to show the school the power of success, please take some time and donate a few dollars to the men's hockey team if you can afford it. It would be nice for them to see an uptick in donations over the next week.

There is a grass roots effort amongst some alumni on facebook for those who have not seen it yet.

Beanpot Challenge - get 500 alum/friends of hockey to donate $100 to program by Friday.

Donate to: https://giving.north...ens-hockey-fund

Select as an Honor gift and put in Beanpot 2018 as First name of honoree and Madigan as Last Name. Also after you enter credit card info under special instructions put in "In honor of the 2018 Beanpot Championship."

got it. btw, i had trouble opening that link so you may just have to spell it all out, for it to work.

meanwhile, a ques.. why can't someone just use their real name & last name and still put in "In honor of 2018 Beanpot Championship" in the special instructions? I would think the school should know & acknowledge the donors as should Madigan & co.

edit: just read again (had late night ).. that name should be part of 'as honoree'.. got it. if you can post correct link, thank you.
                    Last edited by northeastern; 02-13-2018, 02:43 PM.
                    GO NU HOCKEY
                    Always bullish on the future.
                    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

DHD links always do that. It's https://giving.northeastern.edu/live...ns-hockey-fund

Comment

• Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
                        I, too, have been lucky enough to have seen all 5 Beanpot victories. As for this team, looking at the big picture, several players don't get noticed because it's so easy to get caught up in the 8/9/21/31/4 brilliance. I absolutely love the players Garrett Cecere and Trevor Owens have become. I got an extra kick out of Owen's goal last night. The growth in John Picking's game from last season to this one should not be taken for granted. Lincoln Griffin got to NU a year sooner than planned and had to fill a spot and did, scoring a goal in the HE semi against BC and continues to be a solid cog. Goldstein, Schultz, Schule, Hampton and the other 4th+ liners don't have it easy. Last night I was surprised to see Schultz dressed for the first time in awhile but he played just fine. I know we'd all like to see NU win HE and make noise in the NCAA. But to tell the truth, whatever happens for the rest of the season, last nights win makes it all good with me.
                        HEAR HEAR. I tweeted about it via the Blog twitter, but this was Schultz/Picking/Goldstein/Schule's best games while at NU. Causing turnovers, getting some chances in front, driving the puck into the BU zone deep- not to mention Schultz juking and causing a BU defenseman to splatter himself on the boards. These guys are the unsung heroes of the team with how consistent they've been. Picking and Lerario both wins some huge faceoffs as well.

Garrett Cecere has been the best transfer Madigan has brought in. He's calm, steady, and plays so much larger than his frame would seem to allow. He's the true under the radar gem of the defensive corps.

Trevor Owens has grown into a steady defenseman in his own right. I always love seniors scoring in their final beanpot, and for him to get the GWG, on an absolute snipe, and add an even better celebration skating towards the NU fans, he's forever put his name in NU lore, similar to Dustin Darou beating BC.
                        "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                          HEAR HEAR. I tweeted about it via the Blog twitter, but this was Schultz/Picking/Goldstein/Schule's best games while at NU. Causing turnovers, getting some chances in front, driving the puck into the BU zone deep- not to mention Schultz juking and causing a BU defenseman to splatter himself on the boards. These guys are the unsung heroes of the team with how consistent they've been. Picking and Lerario both wins some huge faceoffs as well.

Garrett Cecere has been the best transfer Madigan has brought in. He's calm, steady, and plays so much larger than his frame would seem to allow. He's the true under the radar gem of the defensive corps.

Trevor Owens has grown into a steady defenseman in his own right. I always love seniors scoring in their final beanpot, and for him to get the GWG, on an absolute snipe, and add an even better celebration skating towards the NU fans, he's forever put his name in NU lore, similar to Dustin Darou beating BC.
                          Agree with you as to Cecere and Owens. Most of the offensive fire-power came from the first line, but the depth players on defense and offense were fun to watch this game, and won battles all night long. It was nice to see them rewarded with the game-winning goal.

With apologies to all for the multiple puns, a Jewish newspaper might describe the Game-Winning Goal as follows: "Goldstein goes to Schule for Owens' Cross-Bar Mitzvah."

(If you're not versed in Yiddish/Hebrew, ask a friend to explain.)

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                            Links from any forum that abbreviates and where you try to copy only the text will do that (including this one). Always right-click on the link and select "copy link location" or "copy link" or "copy shortcut", rather than highlighting and copying the text.
                            Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                            Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

• Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                              Links from any forum that abbreviates and where you try to copy only the text will do that (including this one). Always right-click on the link and select "copy link location" or "copy link" or "copy shortcut", rather than highlighting and copying the text.
                              Craig P. cmon... shout out some love for the Huskies .. cause Notre Dame aint winning the Beanpot any time soon..
                              GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Jim is just a wonderful human being. When in his presser and asked what/who he thought of when the buzzer hit, he talked about George Makris and Jack Grinold and how much each of them meant to NU athletics and to him personally. Talked about how the team had a lot of good people looking down on them today. Just makes you realize how much he loves this school, the people associated with it, and how humble he is.
                                "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X