Northeastern Huskies 2017-18: Every Dog Has its Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northeastern Huskies 2017-18: Every Dog Has its Day

Well, we're only about 30 hours away from the official start of the new season, so that makes it about time to start a new season thread.

The hockey gods have been notoriously unkind to Northeastern throughout its long, un-storied history, including significant injuries to key players, outrageous penalty calls in championship and playoff overtimes, and any number of just plain freakish things that have combined to make the Huskies consistent underdogs.

But the program seems to have been undergoing strategic changes for the better over the past few years, including loading up the recruiting pipeline with more highly regarded recruits than at any time in the program's history. Those changes have started to bear fruit in terms of Husky alums making it in the NHL (Manson/Benning), producing a Hobey Baker finalist (ZAR), and not one but two current players (Gaudette/Sikura) who are expected to make deep runs for this year's Hobey. Add to that some promising underclassmen (Shea/Davies/Filipe), a freshman who last year was USHL scoring champ (Solow), a freshman goalie with pedigree (Primeau) and there's reason to believe the Hounds' bite finally may be worse than their bark.

Most pre-season prognosticators have NU pegged for a 4th or 5th place HEA finish. My personal prediction is 3rd, provided the injury bug stays away and the goaltending stabilizes. They certainly shouldn't have any problem scoring goals.

So at long last, a season that promises lots of good things to look forward to. (Oh, and let's do whatever it takes to appease those aforementioned hockey gods.)
    Last edited by Split-N; 10-05-2017, 01:09 PM.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

..no slow starts. Smart hockey & Go Huskies!
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Re: Northeastern Huskies 2017-18: Every Dog Has its Day

Sacred Heart preview: http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/ga...ener-doghouse/
      "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
        .. honest review & with SHU it is what it is. Still, my take.. always respect your competition, compete hard.
        GO NU HOCKEY
        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

For the pole dancers out there, NU starts the season ranked--

#13 in the USA Hockey/USA Today poll
          #20 in the USCHO poll

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
            .. honest review & with SHU it is what it is. Still, my take.. always respect your competition, compete hard.
            Well put! Their coach, C.J. Marotolo, who toiled for four years on our JV team in the late '80s, probably sees a victory over NU in his dreams. He'll have his guys tuned up.

As it happens, C.J. brought in a fairly accomplished freshman class this fall. Funny thing about freshmen in their first game: Many are psyched out of their minds and play a hyperactive game. Having said that, I'll be very disappointed if we don't win both games, score a dozen goals and give up more than three this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
              Well, we're only about 30 hours away from the official start of the new season, so that makes it about time to start a new season thread.

The hockey gods have been notoriously unkind to Northeastern throughout its long, un-storied history, including significant injuries to key players, outrageous penalty calls in championship and playoff overtimes, and any number of just plain freakish things that have combined to make the Huskies consistent underdogs.

But the program seems to have been undergoing strategic changes for the better over the past few years, including loading up the recruiting pipeline with more highly regarded recruits than at any time in the program's history. Those changes have started to bear fruit in terms of Husky alums making it in the NHL (Manson/Benning), producing a Hobey Baker finalist (ZAR), and not one but two current players (Gaudette/Sikura) who are expected to make deep runs..
              also Bitetto for Nashville, Vitale with Phoenix..(now Detroit?).. & Oleksiak with the Dallas Stars.. just some more off top of my head.
              GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                ...I'll be very disappointed if we don't win both games, score a dozen goals and give up more than three this weekend.
                I think it's fair to say that one of the biggest challenges for this year's team will be playing up to expectations. A happy problem to have considering that there just haven't been many seasons where anyone has been able to even say something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                  Having said that, I'll be very disappointed if we don't win both games, score a dozen goals and give up more than three this weekend.
                  This should be similar to the early weekend against ASU last year, but certainly crazier things have happened. It's a nice progression in expected competition from SH to RIT to Quinnipiac before we have 7 league games against Lowell, BU, UVM and BC.
                  2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                  2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Anybody know the skating lines tonight?
                    These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tilldog40 View Post
                      Anybody know the skating lines tonight?
                      Here ya go: https://***********/GoNUmhockey/stat...07719086755840

Comment

7 goals, I like that. Solow with 4 points, how'd he look overall? I only watched the first 15 minutes of the game. No let down tomorrow

Comment

I would have pulled Ruck after that 3rd goal.
                          These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tilldog40 View Post
                            I would have pulled Ruck after that 3rd goal.
                            I wouldn't go that far only because I thought defensive zone play in front of Ruck was, for the most part, atrocious. (I've been making the same comment for the past three years.) Looking forward to (hopefully) seeing Primeau tomorrow night. On a more positive note, the play of Filipe, Solow, Griffin, Josefek, and Goldstein was encouraging. Opponents will cover Gaudette and Sikura like cheap carpeting unless there are other scoring threats on other lines that need to be dealt with.

Speaking of Josefek, I have to wonder how many close losses might have been close wins if Josefek (not to mention the Stevens Bros.) didn't miss so many games last season because of injury.
                            Last edited by Split-N; 10-06-2017, 09:02 PM.

Comment

This was my 34th home opener and it seemed more like a scrimmage at times. Positives NU could do basically whatever they wanted to in the offensive zone and could cycle long enough for you to boil H20 at times. The bad, frequent lapses on D and some marginal play from RR. He will need to focus much more against the metal of the league. That said, after 2 years of slow starts I can't feel that a 2 win start is a bad thing. However I think SH has been ranked among the worst teams in collage hockey in the polls for quite a few years and whatever info they may have received from Mr. Cotton on the Huskies it didn't help them tonight at all. We could have scored 10 goals.

I will take it but they will need to improve a lot if they are going to play the Bobcats in a couple of weeks and take at least one W. Also ,on the bad side my gal pals bag got nabbed from the Uno's after the game so that was a bit of a bummer. I don't have any more tix until the BU games. Also note worthy the easy parking at Columbus St lot is gone and is moved to the regular garage (still free but it will be a cold walk in a few weeks) as NU constructs a playground and turf field in a partnership with the city, which is a good thing!

Cheers!
                              Last edited by RossiRules; 10-06-2017, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X