Northeastern Huskies 2017-18: Every Dog Has its Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2017-18: Every Dog Has its Day

That was a dog$hit game/goaltending performance/defensive performance. I'm not even gonna give commentary. Just hope that the 4+ coaches and staff puts a charge into them and they fix it.
    "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

well.. they weren't going to go undefeated..

still.. holding a 4-3 lead going into the 3rd.. gotta find a way.
      primeau reminded me a bit of rawlings (i know that is harsh & it was just his first (home) start).. but that what it looked like on last couple goals. he will do better hopefully as he progresses.

nice job by Q in not quitting either. let's get something going tomorrow night.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Ouch, not going to write too much about it. O was fair, D and Net minding worst I have seen in years. Kids not ready for prime time, 15 shots 6 find the net. Heck we need a .900 Save Percentage % Goalie to just compete in this league and we don't have one. We can score a 6 goals a night and still lose by one. I think and have thought for 2 years we have had a goalie issue and have not been addressing it here, all of us being way too PC'! Let's face it, if we had the offence of this year and the prior two with a guy like Rawlings or Thiessen between the pipes we would have been going deep in the HE tournament and NCAA's the last 2 years and likely this one as well. It's the elephant is the room and when are we going to realize great goalies make up for bad D all the time! We don't have that ability! No matter coach has a new contract and it is what it is, but man that was brutal. I am going tomorrow night to see it all live, hopefully they put it together, but really that was the worst game in since the Bentley back to back losses!
        Last edited by RossiRules; 10-20-2017, 10:35 PM.

Comment

It's like they tried to recruit the Swiss goaltender but got the Swiss Cheese goaltender.
          Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
          —H. L. Mencken

Comment

• Originally posted by CommAvHusky View Post
            It's like they tried to recruit the Swiss goaltender but got the Swiss Cheese goaltender.
            .. okay this is funny.
            GO NU HOCKEY
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

I actually thought they were mediocre defensively the first 2 periods. Not perfect by any means, but passable and they blocked a ton of shots. 3rd period was the worst period I've seen them play in a long time. 8 and 9 created some chances but other than that it was really ugly. I thought JM might pull Primeau after the 4th goal, I definitely thought he'd pull him after the 5th. I get not wanting to kill the kids confidence, but leaving him in did more harm than good, and we're trying to win games. The crowd was pathetic. Walking over to Punters after we saw thousands of kids doing the underwear run. I guess the students would rather run around Boston half naked than go watch their nationally ranked hockey team. It's been clear the last few years, hockey games aren't the "cool" thing to do for the casual NU student like they were 8-10 years ago.
              2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
              2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Three third period goals spur Quinnipiac victory over Northeastern

http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...oals-spur.html
                QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

I just read the stats. Did I really read 6 goals let in and 9 saves?
                  These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                    ... The crowd was pathetic. Walking over to Punters after we saw thousands of kids doing the underwear run. I guess the students would rather run around Boston half naked than go watch their nationally ranked hockey team. It's been clear the last few years, hockey games aren't the "cool" thing to do for the casual NU student like they were 8-10 years ago.
                    As viewed the eyes of an older gentleman, not choosing to watch 3 of the best forwards in NU history excel against solid competition seems foolish. OTH, as viewed by a typical 18 to 22 male, the chance to run around with a bunch of women in their underwear in the middle of October does have a certain appeal.

As for the game, I think the team ran out of steam in the third period - 3 unanswered goals and a decline in shots on goal. Very disappointing, but they have a chance to rebound tonight.

Comment

We are four games in and he's three games into his freshman season. It's way too early to say 'he's not the answer.' Maybe I was too quick to anoint him with my Ruck hate, I admit that. But if we wrote off Sikura after the start to his freshman year, and I'm sure some people did, we'd have a permanent egg stain on our face. I don't know *** was wrong with Primeau tonight but I'm not giving up on him. Play Ruck, fine. Build Primeau's confidence back up. Jake Theut is not getting time this season unless there's injury happenings, btw. I've seen some people asking for him now. That isn't happening.

We reported Primeau needed another year of USHL per the Lincoln reporter. So to expect him to be perfect and the messiah all year was unreasonable. But I also think he's right in that this is a bump in the road against a very good team that got outplayed. I've seen people call Primeau 'just like Rawlings' after seeing him play three games. Way too soon to jump ship. It's a bad game and bad performance. Every goalie has one. I'm hoping he can learn from it and get built back up to be a quality goaltender this season and in the future.

The doghouse has its issues yes. I'm not going to get into them but things have changed quite a bit even since I graduated after we won Hockey East, in terms of interest, passion from the core, and more.
                      "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

• NUHusky, fair post. I think (in hindsight).. though i was asking for it with foresight.. would have been prudent to have Ruck start Fri.. since he faced much of the same Q team last season.. hopefully hang on there in the 3rd (in hindsight) for a W to start the wknd.. but of course no guarantee.. then have Primeau take in the competition & go tonight with some momentum in hand.

The pecking order will work itself out. The goalie that gives the team the best chance to win, goes any given gm.

Anyway, so bit of regrouping.. Primeau did go last night.. did not look good, especially the 3rd when Q upped their chances & hopefully was learning experience for him. Lets just salvage something tonight.. & regardless of G .. the D in front of goalie had better step up, cause they flat out quit in the 3rd last night.
                        Go Huskies
                        GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

• Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                          NUHusky, fair post. I think (in hindsight).. though i was asking for it with foresight.. would have been prudent to have Ruck start Fri.. since he faced much of the same Q team last season.. hopefully hang on there in the 3rd (in hindsight) for a W to start the wknd.. but of course no guarantee.. then have Primeau take in the competition & go tonight with some momentum in hand.

The pecking order will work itself out. The goalie that gives the team the best chance to win, goes any given gm.

Anyway, so bit of regrouping.. Primeau did go last night.. did not look good, especially the 3rd when Q upped their chances & hopefully was learning experience for him. Lets just salvage something tonight.. & regardless of G .. the D in front of goalie had better step up, cause they flat out quit in the 3rd last night.
                          Go Huskies
                          I rarely find myself defending the D, but the reason Primeau only had to handle 15 shots was largely the result of the D’s blocking 16 shots (vs. 3 )and allowing QPac ~26% fewer shot attempt than our guys managed. Perhaps the D was tired/frustrated from sacrificing their bodies - only to discover that their backstop was handing out marshmallows .

Comment

• Originally posted by HHound View Post
                            I rarely find myself defending the D, but the reason Primeau only had to handle 15 shots was largely the result of the D’s blocking 16 shots (vs. 3 )and allowing QPac ~26% fewer shot attempt than our guys managed. Perhaps the D was tired/frustrated from sacrificing their bodies - only to discover that their backstop was handing out marshmallows .

you're right & Davies in particular.. some amazing shot blocking. I should have stressed.. they (the D) looked outmatched in the 3rd. Then again, some of those unscreened shots.. the save has to be made.
                            Also, the first 2 periods it was more our penalty kill that was an issue more than anything.
                            Last edited by northeastern; 10-21-2017, 09:24 AM.
                            GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

• Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                              you're right & Davies in particular.. some amazing shot blocking. I should have stressed.. they (the D) looked outmatched in the 3rd. Then again, some of those unscreened shots.. the save has to be made.
                              Also, the first 2 periods it was more our penalty kill that was an issue more than anything.
                              That reminds me, the refs completely swallowed their whistles during the third period. I can’t say whether it would have helped us, but, based on the other PP situations, the shot differential would have been even more lopsided.

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                                Which goals were unscreened? First goal was a bad one. Shea whiffed on the guy behind the net and CP was SLOW getting to the post. 2nd and 3rd goals were easy tap ins due to really poor defense. 4th goal was screened wrister from the point. 5th goal was another from the crease top with shoddy D but not screened. Looking at the game sheet, #20 on ice for 6, #5 on for 4, #17 on for 3, #28 on for 3. Highlights on HE site show Williams looking lost all night. On two goals he is so badly beaten that he dives desperately above the face off dot. I'm also concerned that the offense may not run quite as deep as it did last year and that this might be a one line team. Gaudette and Sikura on for all 4 NU goals, Stevens for 2. Filipe and Solow, 1 each. Tonight will be interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X