Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2017-18: Every Dog Has its Day

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    If it is Konya, what is being said about him is encouraging but the real question for people on this forum is where does he stand in terms of supporting and encouraging hockey? At least he comes from a strong hockey area (Detroit) and IIRC there was a thread on here back in the summer about Oakland University looking into the feasibility of starting D1 men's and women's programs.
    ...he is a Princeton grad.. (and Mich raised)... should be good for hockey & for NU Athletics overall. Sounds like a good hire.
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Per NU Athletics, 2nd Maine gm (Saturday), gm time start now 5pm to better accommodate Pats-Titans playoff gm later that evening.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Caught just my second Prep game of the season today. Belmont Hill @ Thayer. 4-4 Tie. NU commit Aiden McDonough had 2G, 1A. McDonough looked good all game long. One goal was a roofed backhander from in tight
        after a deke on the goalie. The second was a pinpoint wrister from about 30 feet out, just inside the far post, as the goalie was moving across to confront him. Also looking very good for Thayer was Jay O'Brien (2G 2A, PC commit). Two freshmen to watch: F Sasha Teleguine and D Nolan Hayes. Belmont Hill has no D1 commits currently, but they hung with Thayer all game. Goalie Connor Hopkins (Jr) was more than capable. Sophomore D Michael Brown has good size already (6'2, 205) and can play, too.

Comment

No Sikura, Davies or any college players named to Team Canada. Hopefully they (and Gaud) play with a little extra chip on their shoulders the rest of the way.
          2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
          2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
            It's a safe bet that we'll be represented there. IIRC Jason Smith lives in Assonet, which is not far from Providence.

Maine is physically big and can score. Their special teams may be their Achilles heels. They lead the league in PIM per game, which is almost 3 minor penalties more than NU - which seems to be hot on the heels of UML in the race for the league's Lady Byng award. Maine is dead last in killing those penalties at ~ 73%. It would appear that Maine are much easier to score on when shorthanded. Their PP is mediocre (average) as is our PK.
            This is the second "hot" team we've played in January. Unless Maine is going to pull an NU 2016-like revival, we should be able to handle them. We need to play and beat better teams if we are to be prepared for the playoffs in March.
            Maine's PK stats are a little misleading. They had a few bad games early on and it has skewed the stats. I would rate them as average, somewhere between 80 and 85 percent.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
              No Sikura, Davies or any college players named to Team Canada. Hopefully they (and Gaud) play with a little extra chip on their shoulders the rest of the way.
              Us and BC escape Olympic season unscathed. BU loses Greenway. Harvard loses Donato. Winner of the BC/NU game has to be the favorite, no?
              "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                would have loved them to go... (but selfishly), am happy for our Huskies squad regardless and less disruptions hopefully lead to good things down the stretch. Go NU
                GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
                  Caught just my second Prep game of the season today. Belmont Hill @ Thayer. 4-4 Tie. NU commit Aiden McDonough had 2G, 1A. McDonough looked good all game long. One goal was a roofed backhander from in tight
                  after a deke on the goalie. The second was a pinpoint wrister from about 30 feet out, just inside the far post, as the goalie was moving across to confront him. Also looking very good for Thayer was Jay O'Brien (2G 2A, PC commit). Two freshmen to watch: F Sasha Teleguine and D Nolan Hayes. Belmont Hill has no D1 commits currently, but they hung with Thayer all game. Goalie Connor Hopkins (Jr) was more than capable. Sophomore D Michael Brown has good size already (6'2, 205) and can play, too.
                  It's good to hear that Aidan had a productive day. He seems to be ranked as a step behind his linemate, O'Brien. Jimmy knows him well as they both live in Milton. I expect that he'll adjust to Juniors and D! faster than Armstrong, who was productive at AOF when he had Harper to assist him. Thayer has been kind of disappointing this year. DK if they are a one line team or have a porous D.
                  I saw the USHL game earlier this week. I came away with the feeling that, after an adjustment period, Tyler Madden will play more of a Sikura style game rather than a Gaudette type. I'd have been thrilled with either. I'm glad he has signed his LOI!

Comment

Blog preview of the Maine series: http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/ge...mitch-fossier/
                    "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                      It's good to hear that Aidan had a productive day. He seems to be ranked as a step behind his linemate, O'Brien. Jimmy knows him well as they both live in Milton. I expect that he'll adjust to Juniors and D! faster than Armstrong, who was productive at AOF when he had Harper to assist him. Thayer has been kind of disappointing this year. DK if they are a one line team or have a porous D.
                      I saw the USHL game earlier this week. I came away with the feeling that, after an adjustment period, Tyler Madden will play more of a Sikura style game rather than a Gaudette type. I'd have been thrilled with either. I'm glad he has signed his LOI!
                      It was clear yesterday that O'Brien is a superior skater than McDonough. Also clear was the improvement in Aiden's game. A step faster, some good work controlling the puck in tight spaces, and worked hard on both sides of the game. Thayer's record is a bit down but off my viewing yesterday, they have 3 solid lines and 6 or 7 defenseman, too. Their goalie is well regarded but is young. It appears that he just needs time.

Comment

New goalie added to the roster, elevated from the club team. Makes me think Ruck's injury status is more serious than we thought. Was last reported he'd get re-evaluated 3 weeks from now. http://gonu.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5179&path=mhockey
                        "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                          One thing I've noticed for a few years now is that most of Maine's goals come on the counter. It's rare to see them have the puck in the zone for very long and score unless it is on the PP. For someone who likely hasn't watched Maine very much this year it was a decent preview.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Maine has always had a tough time playing at Matthews. 1 win will be difficult.....2 next to impossible.

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                              Maine has always had a tough time playing at Matthews. 1 win will be difficult.....2 next to impossible.
                              Maine will win a gm this wknd. NU will have to play above & beyond to prevent that. Having said that, Go Huskies
                              GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

NU needs to play strong every night. No let ups. Our schedule isn't exactly great the rest of the way.. To maintain our RPI where it is, we'd need to go something like 8-3-3 the rest of the way in the regular season, everything else remaining the same.

Big series. It's at home, let's make it tough for Maine to play.

Comment

Working...
                                X