Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
    I think expectations were too high for this team coming into the season, having lost 10 seniors (thank you, Captain Obvious).

There's probably going to be a few more disappointments along the way. Hopefully the team can develop and grow and get hit at the end of the season. At the start of the season I said this team was a Frozen Four contender, but they're far from that right now.

Also, perhaps a stupid and uneducated observation, but does anyone else think that this team can be a bit too patient and methodical at times? Especially on power plays, seems like a lot of time is spent skating around the perimeter waiting for the perfect set-up as opposed to getting pucks to the net. This was really evident against Hobart with 1 shot on goal during the 5 minute major in overtime.
    I agree with everything you said except maybe the Frozen Four, but they have a good chance of being a contender, but then you said that, not necessarily the Final Frozen Four. I thought this team has worked harder in the all the 3rd periods, but today they only worked hard some of the time. Not sure what happened, but what a team we would have if they played whole games like the first 10 minutes of today's game. It will take more time to figure out who plays better together.

NU56
    Old Member
    Maybe the Oldest

Comment

Good rebound game. I know Middlebury isn't good, but they've been able to frustrate the Cadets the last couple years. The team came out and dominated like they should, even adding a couple of powerplay goals. It's nice to have Auburn step up and have a nice game in net to give Ostepchuk a rest.

And heck, beating Middlebury always makes for a good day. Charlie would be happy.
      Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

And heck, beating Middlebury always makes for a good day. Charlie would be happy.
        +1. Charlie’s two favorite teams, Norwich and whoever is playing Middlebury.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

After watching this Middlebury game, you have to wonder...what the heck happened yesterday? It looked like two different teams out there this weekend. Were we unprepared for Plattsburgh? Is it just a matter of injecting hungry players into the line up? Or, is it just one of those games where no matter how hard you try, puck gods are just not with you.I am not sure, but I have to believe that this years team does have potential based on the depth of the team. I know McShane will be working on the answers and history tells us that while this is a rebuilding year, it does not mean a losing season. The power play was much better tonight and I believe NU Pastime nailed it on the head in the above post.You have to shoot at the net and get players there to cash in on rebounds. It is nice to know that we may very well have a 2 goalie system again, as Aubrun made another good show of himself. Take heart all Cadets, you have the drive and the skill, you just need to work as a unit instead of individuals. With so much talent on the team, that is going to take time and practice,...it still is a young season.
          There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

I don't think 5-3-1 is where anyone wanted to be at this point, but like I said, I think our expectations were just too high for a team that lost so much seniority. Good thing is that only one of those losses are in conference. Out of the three biggest threats in conference, NU already has wins over two (UMB and Babson) and tied the third on their home ice (Hobart). The Cadets are in pretty good shape to win the conference regular season and play for an NCAA tourney birth on home ice.

At that point, who knows what could happen? It'll be fun to watch these guys develop and improve between now and then.
            Norwich '13

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              +1. Charlie’s two favorite teams, Norwich and whoever is playing Middlebury.
              It's worth noting that Norwich is now 10-1-3 against the Panthers over the last 14 meetings.
              Norwich '13

Comment

It's worth noting that Norwich is now 10-1-3 against the Panthers over the last 14 meetings.
                Did you get that from my story?
                GO LAKERS!!!
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

I don't think 5-3-1 is where anyone wanted to be at this point, but like I said, I think our expectations were just too high for a team that lost so much seniority. Good thing is that only one of those losses are in conference. Out of the three biggest threats in conference, NU already has wins over two (UMB and Babson) and tied the third on their home ice (Hobart). The Cadets are in pretty good shape to win the conference regular season and play for an NCAA tourney birth on home ice.

At that point, who knows what could happen? It'll be fun to watch these guys develop and improve between now and then.
                  5-3-1 isn’t too far off what I would have predicted at the start of the season. People need to remember we lost nearly 2 full lines, 2 d pairs and a goalie. Many of those players are playing professional hockey this year.

As I’ve said and you pointed out...4-1-1 in league is what really matters right now and that’s pretty darn good.

I’m relatively content with the way the first half has played out. The team has yet to put together a 60 minute game yet.

Positives so far: Tom Aubrun has been superb in his time in net. Given up one goal in 160 minutes counting exhibitions.

Connor Evangelista has taken a step and has turned into a pretty solid two-way defenseman this season playing top line minutes. Ideally he’s a great second pair guy on a national championship team but regardless, he’s been great so far this year in his role.

Scoring has been very spread out. Norwich has four lines that can score, problem is finding it consistently.

Downs could be NEHC Rookie of the Year. Carter Cowlthorp should be a tremendous four-year player if he keeps developing. Love what I’ve seen so far.
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Wait. I thought you were in Horseheads (a fine town, BTW) this weekend?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Wait. I thought you were in Horseheads (a fine town, BTW) this weekend?
                      I was. Doesn’t mean I don’t have to write the story when our team is on the road...
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

• Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

I think expectations were too high for this team coming into the season, having lost 10 seniors (thank you, Captain Obvious).

There's probably going to be a few more disappointments along the way. Hopefully the team can develop and grow and get hit at the end of the season. At the start of the season I said this team was a Frozen Four contender, but they're far from that right now.

Also, perhaps a stupid and uneducated observation, but does anyone else think that this team can be a bit too patient and methodical at times? Especially on power plays, seems like a lot of time is spent skating around the perimeter waiting for the perfect set-up as opposed to getting pucks to the net. This was really evident against Hobart with 1 shot on goal during the 5 minute major in overtime.
                        I've seen reset years a number of times during the McShane era - for whatever reason we seem to have gotten into almost a 4 - year cycle with freshmen classes aging to become outstanding senior classes, to be replaced by freshman classes, etc. It seems that when we get into the freshman mode, the Power Play is overly patient, especially in 5 x 3 situations and with major penalties. Nobody wants to make mistakes, and thus nobody makes the big play. I've seen it lots of times. The good news is that ultimately they mature and with lots of experience working together when they get to years three and four, they become really good. I think patience is a good plan. I've seen it before. It will take time to get all the pieces in place, and by the end of the season the hiccups may be gone. What really matters is the play in the NEHC and the NEHC playoffs. Don't write them off, but don't be surprised if there are some games that make you scratch your head, too.
                        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Actually got it from your story last year and then added a tie and a win.

I was hoping you'd add it in your story, because one can never say it enough!
                          Last edited by NU Pastime; 11-25-2017, 09:33 PM.
                          Norwich '13

Comment

I've watched a few games this season via streaming... unfortunately I missed the Primelink.

However, we have seen this pattern before. In many ways, it reminds me of what we frequently see with the New England Patriots. The team looks less than what we are accustomed to early in the season but as the season progresses and they continue to practice and have regular season games the cohesion and teamwork get better and better and towards the tail end of the regular season the team is performing well and does well in the post-season. In Bill we trust.

No need to panic. In Mike we trust.

Comment

Norwich vs Castleton tonight. Who is doing the NSN broadcast? Didn't George and Jack Healey do it together in the past or am I making it up???
                              There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

I don’t know what I enjoy more, Norwich winning or Castleton losing😁

Comment

Working...
                                X