Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nujack View Post
    +1 though there have been some years where they didn't win the conference championship and an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament but the regular season record was stellar enough to get an at-large bid.
    Correct, but those years shouldn’t have a banner*

*under the current set up

Comment

• Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Congratulations to the Lady Cadets on their 2018 National Championship!!!

A very entertaining game.

Comment

• Originally posted by nujack View Post
        Congratulations to the Lady Cadets on their 2018 National Championship!!!

A very entertaining game.
        Great game, and Kreitzberg was packed. I am now totally convinced that the men should go back to campus sites.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
          Great game, and Kreitzberg was packed. I am now totally convinced that the men should go back to campus sites.
          I’ve gone to it both ways with the men. You wouldn’t like on campus if it was someone else’s site, believe me.
          Go 'Wick!

Comment

• Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
            I’ve gone to it both ways with the men. You wouldn’t like on campus if it was someone else’s site, believe me.
            My biggest beef with the neutral site games is that it almost always appears empty. Even the games which are well attended look empty. I hate it. A championship game should have a championship atmosphere. I’ve made the same argument in regard to the many high school sports which play in big stadiums (Gillette Stadium in MA, Rutgers in NJ, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
              +1
              SNC Men:
              Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
              NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
              SNC Women:
              O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
                I just think most D3 arenas (Kreitzberg included) could not handle a men’s final four crowd nowadays.

You’d have to have at least 2500 seats I think to host it and have enough seating.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
                  My biggest beef with the neutral site games is that it almost always appears empty. Even the games which are well attended look empty. I hate it. A championship game should have a championship atmosphere. I’ve made the same argument in regard to the many high school sports which play in big stadiums (Gillette Stadium in MA, Rutgers in NJ, etc)
                  A campus site when the host doesn't make the finals makes for a small crowd - If the Cadets had not made the finals, you would not have seen the kind of crowd that was there last night. I agree that if the facility is too big it spoils the experience. On the other hand, Lake Placid in 2010 was an amazing experience. There was a lot less atmosphere in 1999 and 2004 when it was at Kreitzberg and Norwich lost in the semis. It was great in 2003 when Norwich won at Krietzberg, but I think the idea of a right-sized neutral site is way to go.
                  2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                  2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                  2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                  2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Our official Championship video!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui_d...ature=youtu.be
                    WDEV/NSN Color Analyst 2011-2014
                    NSN NU Women's Hockey PBP 2014
                    Follow Me On The Twitter: @Tannerace

2000, 2003, 2010, 2011 (W) National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                      A campus site when the host doesn't make the finals makes for a small crowd - If the Cadets had not made the finals, you would not have seen the kind of crowd that was there last night. I agree that if the facility is too big it spoils the experience. On the other hand, Lake Placid in 2010 was an amazing experience. There was a lot less atmosphere in 1999 and 2004 when it was at Kreitzberg and Norwich lost in the semis. It was great in 2003 when Norwich won at Krietzberg, but I think the idea of a right-sized neutral site is way to go.
                      I agree.... but even Herb Brooks Arena looked pretty empty for that 2010 game.... same with Ritter Arena at Univ of Minnesota the following year even though it is less than half the size of Herb Brooks Arena.... whie the finals were a good crowd nowhere near capacity as I remember that game. I think the unfortunate reality is that unless a neutral site is within a couple hours of one of the final two that it is likely to seem pretty empty.

That said, I like the idea of neutral sites.... just about any D1 arena would be big enough I would think... like the Gut or Thompson Arena.

Comment

Originally posted by nujack View Post
                        I agree.... but even Herb Brooks Arena looked pretty empty for that 2010 game.... same with Ritter Arena at Univ of Minnesota the following year even though it is less than half the size of Herb Brooks Arena.... whie the finals were a good crowd nowhere near capacity as I remember that game. I think the unfortunate reality is that unless a neutral site is within a couple hours of one of the final two that it is likely to seem pretty empty.

That said, I like the idea of neutral sites.... just about any D1 arena would be big enough I would think... like the Gut or Thompson Arena.
                        In looking back to the 2008 FF in Lake Placid, the semi final day with Plattsburgh vs Elmira and Norwich vs St. Norbert drew an announced 5600 and the Ntl Championship game between Plattsburgh and St. Norbert drew an announced 4770....total = 10,370... probably the 'Perfect Storm' with three top East Regional teams and SNC involved....I do remember a ton of Plattsburgh fans there...
                        SNC Men:
                        Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                        NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                        SNC Women:
                        O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

• Originally posted by pete99race View Post
                          In looking back to the 2008 FF in Lake Placid, the semi final day with Plattsburgh vs Elmira and Norwich vs St. Norbert drew an announced 5600 and the Ntl Championship game between Plattsburgh and St. Norbert drew an announced 4770....total = 10,370... probably the 'Perfect Storm' with three top East Regional teams and SNC involved....I do remember a ton of Plattsburgh fans there...
                          The first year was perfect. It’s been slightly downhill ever since....
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
                            So lets say that we assume that not all the Platty/Elmira fans stayed for the second semi and/or not all the Norwich/SNC fans went to the Platty/Elmira semi... so there were 5,000 in attendance for those games.. that is only 65% of the HB Arena capacity but at the Gut or Dartmouth the place would be rocking!

Comment

Originally posted by nujack View Post
                              So lets say that we assume that not all the Platty/Elmira fans stayed for the second semi and/or not all the Norwich/SNC fans went to the Platty/Elmira semi... so there were 5,000 in attendance for those games.. that is only 65% of the HB Arena capacity but at the Gut or Dartmouth the place would be rocking!
                              I still contend that if the players had their choice of Gutterson, Dartmouth or the 1980 Olympic Arena, Lake Placid.....most would want to play in Lake Placid !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                                I still contend that if the players had their choice of Gutterson, Dartmouth or the 1980 Olympic Arena, Lake Placid.....most would want to play in Lake Placid !
                                +1

Comment

Working...
                                X