Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
    While we'll still probably get home ice, do we want it?

Prez pointed out before the record at Kreitzberg v the record on the road. And with against Hobart it's 0-0-1 @Hobart (with NU carrying the play) and 0-2 @Kreitzberg.
    Home ice is a must in my opinion. Place got rocking tonight and helped get the guys back into it. NEED home ice! Would be tough for Hobart to come in and win 3 times in Northfield

Comment

• Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post
      Home ice is a must in my opinion. Place got rocking tonight and helped get the guys back into it. NEED home ice! Would be tough for Hobart to come in and win 3 times in Northfield
      I would’ve said it would be tough to win twice in Kreitzberg, but they did. If I’m not mistaken, first time ever losing to a team twice at home since Kreitzberg opened

Comment

• Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
        Every lead pass was just out of reach...passes bounced over Cadet sticks...clears were weak and went right onto Hobart sticks...Cadets couldn’t get good wood on juicy rebounds...it just felt like it wasn’t meant to be tonight...

I felt like Norwich left at least 5 goals on the ice tonight...

On the second goal, I immediately said there was no way it went in. The angle coming off was wrong. Talked to the goal judge after the game (light never went on) and he said it absolutely did not go in but official never even looked at him. I thought for sure they were gonna wave it off, but it stood. To me, that was critical.

Oh well. A missed opportunity for sure. Gotta come out flying tomorrow. Given the results this year, going on the road might not be the worst thing in the world...
        Very weird call here. It seemed like only one ref was very adamant it was a goal. The way it bounced out and the way it sounded...oh well..loss is a loss and the guys had plenty of chances to take the game back. Hope it puts a fire under the guys.

Comment

Very weird call here. It seemed like only one ref was very adamant it was a goal. The way it bounced out and the way it sounded...oh well..loss is a loss and the guys had plenty of chances to take the game back. Hope it puts a fire under the guys.
          Gotta come out flying tomorrow and keep the hammer down. Thought they coasted a bit after going up 1-0.

Comment

• Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Unfortunately, once again I think this was a lesson type game. There was a noticeable let down after they got it back to tied. Just a little bit of a defensive relaxation. Typical reaction from a young team. "We've got them now." Do we really want to play Hobart for a third time in Krietzberg?
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
              Unfortunately, once again I think this was a lesson type game. There was a noticeable let down after they got it back to tied. Just a little bit of a defensive relaxation. Typical reaction from a young team. "We've got them now." Do we really want to play Hobart for a third time in Krietzberg?
              100% yes.

Comment

100% yes.
                I agree--we want Hobart for a return visit. Actually I had hoped with those four missing NU starters from the last meeting now healthy and back for tonight...plus the long bus ride from Lake Geneva...that all that miight have been enough to sap the Statesmen's strength.

Wrong again. This is a fine Hobart club but we cannot be jinxed by the thought of another Hobart visit to Northfield. Tonight, Corey Gustafson described Hobart to Puck Voice as..."tough, organized and disciplined". That combination wins. Actually, while the relentless rallying by the Cadets in the 3rd period was wonderful...the game was lost in the 2nd ...because we seemed to lack just that part of our game--"toughness, organization and discipline." During those first two minutes of the 2nd especially-- Hobart owned the store by knocking us for a loop for the next 18 minutes. Time to move on....

Actually, I am already focused on tomorrow's game. It would be stupid to believe Skidmore is the NEHC punching bag with but six wins this season. Because among their victories includes wins over Hobart, UMass Beanery, NEC, USM, Castleton and an OT loss to Babson. The Ponies spoiled our "perfect season" last year and would love to do it again. Yup, I want to see Hobart again in Northfield and that will only happen if we beat (or tie ) Skidmore. Go Cadets!!!!
                Last edited by Old Rook NU'66; 02-10-2018, 12:25 AM.
                Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
                Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post
                  +1 I would bet my house that that puck never went into the net from what I saw on video... it looked to me like it clanged off the cross bar.... but the NU players didn't seem to be arguing that it didn't go in... so who knows.

Comment

I don't think that's how any of us would've drew it up, but hey, gets the job done.

17-6-2
                    NEHC Regular Season Champs
                    Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                      I don't think that's how any of us would've drew it up, but hey, gets the job done.

17-6-2
                      NEHC Regular Season Champs
                      The Cadets can probably get by Castleton with relative ease, but if the defense doesn’t improve and we see what we saw today, it’s going to be a short postseason.

That said, the future is so bright. These freshmen and sophomores are so good. Coby Downs is living up to the hype. He could be special. I thought Jack Griffin stood out today as well. A lot to look forward to, but I remain hopeful that the guys can clean some things up and make a run.

Comment

The defense looks really unfocused. Even in the OT there was a lot of inattention displayed. Home ice throughout the playoffs is a good thing, and I think they can get to the finals, but another encounter with Hobart will really test.

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                          The defense looks really unfocused. Even in the OT there was a lot of inattention displayed. Home ice throughout the playoffs is a good thing, and I think they can get to the finals, but another encounter with Hobart will really test.
                          That centering pass with 18 seconds left made my heart skip a beat. I thought that was it. I'm not sure if the defense on that was where the penalty was called, but if it was then that's a prime example of a good penalty to take.

I think a lot of the lack of focus is tied into the overall lack of discipline. Whether it's the mental lapse right after going up 2-1 or taking a bad penalty away from the puck when you're on the powerplay late in the game, these are issues we've discussed with this team all year.

At the beginning of the year I said this team has the tools to make the Frozen Four. While I think it is true that they have the tools they haven't showed a lot of improvement in their discipline to make me optimistic for that outcome.

But, that's a blessing and a curse. Lower expectations mean I can sit back and watch the postseason a but more relaxed. Perhaps.

And the praise for Downs is very warranted. That snipe of his on the second goal is what my New England brethren call "wicked."
                          Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Might not have been the prettiest ending but I for one am extremely happy we didn't let Hobart waltz right into the NEHC and take if first year. This team has what it takes to take on the top teams, we just need a bit more consistency and discipline. Hoping for a strong playoff run and looking forward to some great hockey. No doubt I hope Hobart and Norwich meet for a championship but this year it honestly could be several different matchups by that point. GO WICK

Comment

I sure hope we get another shot at Hobart. But for my eyes, they look stronger and quicker to the puck. I hope I am wrong , but if Hobart plays like that every game , we could very well be looking at this seasons Champs. They remind me of Norwich. They never quit, most often first to the puck and very fast plus they are strong. They were beating Norwich D a lot , Friday night. Braden seems to be really really good until scored upon, then can often go down hill from there. Hobart will be tough for Norwich to beat , no matter where they play them , if Hobart plays the same next meeting. But lets hope Norwich "never quit" attitude pulls them to another crown. Go Cadets!!

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                                I sure hope we get another shot at Hobart. But for my eyes, they look stronger and quicker to the puck. I hope I am wrong , but if Hobart plays like that every game , we could very well be looking at this seasons Champs. They remind me of Norwich. They never quit, most often first to the puck and very fast plus they are strong. They were beating Norwich D a lot , Friday night. Braden seems to be really really good until scored upon, then can often go down hill from there. Hobart will be tough for Norwich to beat , no matter where they play them , if Hobart plays the same next meeting. But lets hope Norwich "never quit" attitude pulls them to another crown. Go Cadets!!
                                There are teams that for one reason or another just have another teams number. Sometimes it is match ups, sometimes it is totally psychological. Hobart only got one point from Babson, but got 5 points from Norwich (I know there was an extra game), while Norwich swept Babson. Some things just are what they are and don't try to figure out why. If Hobart and Babson play in the Semis, there's no guarantee that Hobart will be around for the finals.

Comment

Working...
                                X