Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
    Will the banner raising ceremony be broadcasted on Friday night?
    Prezde - double and triple check the broadcast. Clarkson farked up the times of the broadcast by 12 hrs and there was nothing on the air until 5 minutes into the game.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

With it officially being opening week, what are the expectations for this season? What would be considered a successful season?

Last year, KRB consistently (and, as it turned out, rightfully) made comparisons between the '16-'17 team and the '09-'10 team. But the freshman class of '09 (coincidentally, also my freshman class) would go to the Final Four all four years. That's a high, and rather unrealistic, bar to meet.

But, this year's team has another strong senior class. Not as strong as last year's perhaps, but having Ostepchuk in goal, Salvucci and Baldillez at forward, and Brandrup and Evangelista on D is a nice balance and talent-pool of seniors.

With them leading the team, and notably, a returning sophomore class that looked great down the stretch last year as freshmen, I'm looking for another conference championship and competition for another Frozen Four appearance.

What say you?
      Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Watch out for Endicott. 10 D1 transfers. They got to the QF last year and took Trinity to 2OT.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

With it officially being opening week, what are the expectations for this season? What would be considered a successful season?

Last year, KRB consistently (and, as it turned out, rightfully) made comparisons between the '16-'17 team and the '09-'10 team. But the freshman class of '09 (coincidentally, also my freshman class) would go to the Final Four all four years. That's a high, and rather unrealistic, bar to meet.

But, this year's team has another strong senior class. Not as strong as last year's perhaps, but having Ostepchuk in goal, Salvucci and Baldillez at forward, and Brandrup and Evangelista on D is a nice balance and talent-pool of seniors.

With them leading the team, and notably, a returning sophomore class that looked great down the stretch last year as freshmen, I'm looking for another conference championship and competition for another Frozen Four appearance.

What say you?
          Big O will carry the team between the pipes. Defense I think will lean on the veteran guys (namely Brandrup) but Evangelista has impressed me as of late.

I think the biggest thing for me is the Sophomore forwards are going to have to step up into big roles this year. Last year they had the seniors to heavily rely on and feed off of. It didn't really strike me until watching the games this weekend how much of a leadership role they will need to take with the large Freshman class. That will be interesting for me to see develop and expect Todd Jackson to lead the way. Newcomers that caught my eye the most were probably #18 Colby Downs and #44 Kane, that being said, none of them look like slouches and I'm excited to see them get their feet underneath them as they get more comfortable at this level.

Salvucci will lead the offense and looks great so far. I think he will have a MONSTER year which shouldn't be that bold of a statement if you have seen him play the last few years.

Really excited to see this team. They have a huge target on their backs which seems odd since they have so many new faces and don't really have an overall team identity at the moment. Having a Top Goaltender and some very good upperclassmen will help ease the transition. Looks like another speedy and exciting team to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post
            Big O will carry the team between the pipes. Defense I think will lean on the veteran guys (namely Brandrup) but Evangelista has impressed me as of late.

I think the biggest thing for me is the Sophomore forwards are going to have to step up into big roles this year. Last year they had the seniors to heavily rely on and feed off of. It didn't really strike me until watching the games this weekend how much of a leadership role they will need to take with the large Freshman class. That will be interesting for me to see develop and expect Todd Jackson to lead the way. Newcomers that caught my eye the most were probably #18 Colby Downs and #44 Kane, that being said, none of them look like slouches and I'm excited to see them get their feet underneath them as they get more comfortable at this level.

Salvucci will lead the offense and looks great so far. I think he will have a MONSTER year which shouldn't be that bold of a statement if you have seen him play the last few years.

Really excited to see this team. They have a huge target on their backs which seems odd since they have so many new faces and don't really have an overall team identity at the moment. Having a Top Goaltender and some very good upperclassmen will help ease the transition. Looks like another speedy and exciting team to watch.
            I liked Cowlthorp as well from the freshmen bunch in the game I was able to take in on Sunday afternoon.

Certainly have to like scoring 7 goals and giving up none against two decent teams in Nichols/Saint Anselm.

Excited for Friday night and the banner ceremony. Hard to believe another season is here already.

Season preview that debuted on Monday: http://www.norwichathletics.com/spor...20171023quh457
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

I think you guys will like #25 as well! Very good player

Comment

I though the transfer from Air Force, Matt Burchill, looked like he could step up as a top 4 D man right away. He looked very experienced in the games this past weekend. Also noticed forward Felix Brassard making plays. As referenced before Kale Kane and Coby Downs looked very skilled.
                2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Well, short-term, losing on banner night really sucks. Long-term? Might not be the worst thing to happen. Certainly a humbling experience, and definitely ensures that everyone knows last year was last year.

Overll, disappointing and frustrating, but not discoruaging. An inch here or there and it would've been a different story. There were many obvious moments on unfamiliarity with each other, and as they get more experienced those moments will come together.

Also, lot of activity from the new guys. Seemed like Cowlthorpe never left the ice.
                  Norwich '13

Comment

Similar game against Endicott last year with almost similar results. Get the bulls eyes off your back and make this season yours. Lot's of potential guys just got to gel a bit and get to know each others moves. I was impressed with Downs, Cowlthorp and Burchell for the new guys. There are sure to be some changes in the lines over the next few weeks and I am sure McShane was trying things out tonight and not so much looking for the win since it was a NC game. We'll see.
                    There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

Well, short-term, losing on banner night really sucks. Long-term? Might not be the worst thing to happen. Certainly a humbling experience, and definitely ensures that everyone knows last year was last year.

Overll, disappointing and frustrating, but not discoruaging. An inch here or there and it would've been a different story. There were many obvious moments on unfamiliarity with each other, and as they get more experienced those moments will come together.

Also, lot of activity from the new guys. Seemed like Cowlthorpe never left the ice.
                      Cowlthorpe and Downs got a lot of ice time once NU went to three centers and sat Griffin for two periods.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
                        Similar game against Endicott last year with almost similar results. Get the bulls eyes off your back and make this season yours. Lot's of potential guys just got to gel a bit and get to know each others moves. I was impressed with Downs, Cowlthorp and Burchell for the new guys. There are sure to be some changes in the lines over the next few weeks and I am sure McShane was trying things out tonight and not so much looking for the win since it was a NC game. We'll see.
                        I know that I tend to have a tendency to look down on the ECAC - NE (or whatever they call it now), and Endicott's success last year in just missing out on the FF suggests that I need to rethink that. Salve has has historically been a really bad program, so that was definitely coloring my view of the game. Pressure is off now - no worries about going undefeated. Now the real work starts with the Boston duo coming in next weekend.
                        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Are there pictures posted anywhere of the banner ceremony last night?

I've been checking the different media outlets, and while I haven't seen any pictures, I did come across this in the Times-Argus:

"Jack Billings and Evan Schmidbauer scored first-half goals for Salve Regina before Danny Eruzione extended the lead to 3-0 in the third quarter."

First-half goals? Third quarter? How do sports writers in Vermont not know basic hockey terminology?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
                          Norwich '13

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                            I know that I tend to have a tendency to look down on the ECAC - NE (or whatever they call it now), and Endicott's success last year in just missing out on the FF suggests that I need to rethink that. Salve has has historically been a really bad program, so that was definitely coloring my view of the game. Pressure is off now - no worries about going undefeated. Now the real work starts with the Boston duo coming in next weekend.
                            Commonwealth Coast Conference.

Though they're losing GNAC members (JWU & Suffolk) to the NEHC next year.

I wonder if the JWU admin realizes that Norwich is REALLY GOOD in hockey (as opposed to the GNAC sports)? The coach knows.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Commonwealth Coast Conference.

Though they're losing GNAC members (JWU & Suffolk) to the NEHC next year.

I wonder if the JWU admin realizes that Norwich is REALLY GOOD in hockey (as opposed to the GNAC sports)? The coach knows.
                              It's going to be a big jump for both of those two teams. Are they going to come in as travel partners?
                              Norwich + Castleton as a duo could take us back to the old "0 for Vermont" road trip for some teams in the league.
                              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Prof it will be interesting how Norwich with a lot of new players and up and coming Castleton complete with two of the best teams in the NEHC this wekend, UMASS Boston and Babson. Games should be very competitive.
                                2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                                2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Working...
                                X