Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

I think you guys will like #25 as well! Very good player

I though the transfer from Air Force, Matt Burchill, looked like he could step up as a top 4 D man right away. He looked very experienced in the games this past weekend. Also noticed forward Felix Brassard making plays. As referenced before Kale Kane and Coby Downs looked very skilled.
    2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
    2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Well, short-term, losing on banner night really sucks. Long-term? Might not be the worst thing to happen. Certainly a humbling experience, and definitely ensures that everyone knows last year was last year.

Overll, disappointing and frustrating, but not discoruaging. An inch here or there and it would've been a different story. There were many obvious moments on unfamiliarity with each other, and as they get more experienced those moments will come together.

Also, lot of activity from the new guys. Seemed like Cowlthorpe never left the ice.

Fan Of Div III Hockey, GO NORWICH

Similar game against Endicott last year with almost similar results. Get the bulls eyes off your back and make this season yours. Lot's of potential guys just got to gel a bit and get to know each others moves. I was impressed with Downs, Cowlthorp and Burchell for the new guys. There are sure to be some changes in the lines over the next few weeks and I am sure McShane was trying things out tonight and not so much looking for the win since it was a NC game. We'll see.
    There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey

Quote Originally Posted by NU Pastime View Post
    Well, short-term, losing on banner night really sucks. Long-term? Might not be the worst thing to happen. Certainly a humbling experience, and definitely ensures that everyone knows last year was last year.

Overll, disappointing and frustrating, but not discoruaging. An inch here or there and it would've been a different story. There were many obvious moments on unfamiliarity with each other, and as they get more experienced those moments will come together.

Also, lot of activity from the new guys. Seemed like Cowlthorpe never left the ice.
    Cowlthorpe and Downs got a lot of ice time once NU went to three centers and sat Griffin for two periods.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Colorado Cadets Fan

Quote Originally Posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
    Similar game against Endicott last year with almost similar results. Get the bulls eyes off your back and make this season yours. Lot's of potential guys just got to gel a bit and get to know each others moves. I was impressed with Downs, Cowlthorp and Burchell for the new guys. There are sure to be some changes in the lines over the next few weeks and I am sure McShane was trying things out tonight and not so much looking for the win since it was a NC game. We'll see.
    I know that I tend to have a tendency to look down on the ECAC - NE (or whatever they call it now), and Endicott's success last year in just missing out on the FF suggests that I need to rethink that. Salve has has historically been a really bad program, so that was definitely coloring my view of the game. Pressure is off now - no worries about going undefeated. Now the real work starts with the Boston duo coming in next weekend.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Are there pictures posted anywhere of the banner ceremony last night?

I've been checking the different media outlets, and while I haven't seen any pictures, I did come across this in the Times-Argus:

"Jack Billings and Evan Schmidbauer scored first-half goals for Salve Regina before Danny Eruzione extended the lead to 3-0 in the third quarter."

First-half goals? Third quarter? How do sports writers in Vermont not know basic hockey terminology?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
    Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    I know that I tend to have a tendency to look down on the ECAC - NE (or whatever they call it now), and Endicott's success last year in just missing out on the FF suggests that I need to rethink that. Salve has has historically been a really bad program, so that was definitely coloring my view of the game. Pressure is off now - no worries about going undefeated. Now the real work starts with the Boston duo coming in next weekend.
    Commonwealth Coast Conference.

Though they're losing GNAC members (JWU & Suffolk) to the NEHC next year.

I wonder if the JWU admin realizes that Norwich is REALLY GOOD in hockey (as opposed to the GNAC sports)? The coach knows.

Colorado Cadets Fan

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Commonwealth Coast Conference.

Though they're losing GNAC members (JWU & Suffolk) to the NEHC next year.

I wonder if the JWU admin realizes that Norwich is REALLY GOOD in hockey (as opposed to the GNAC sports)? The coach knows.
    It's going to be a big jump for both of those two teams. Are they going to come in as travel partners?
    Norwich + Castleton as a duo could take us back to the old "0 for Vermont" road trip for some teams in the league.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Prof it will be interesting how Norwich with a lot of new players and up and coming Castleton complete with two of the best teams in the NEHC this wekend, UMASS Boston and Babson. Games should be very competitive.
    2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
    2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post

Certainly the recruiting landscape has changed a lot over the past 10 years. So many good players are out there and there are only so many spots to fill. Endicott has a nice campus and great on-campus facility and a good recruiting team, which is why they were good day one, much like Adrian was 10 years ago. In Salve's case, they have had solid recruiting the past 6 years so and beat Trinity the year after they won the championship and Endicott last year in addition to winning the ECAC Northeast a few years ago, so while they are not at the consistent caliber of the Norwich's, Hobarts, Trinity's of the world, they have made a steady climb over the last 5-6 years. In respect to campus living, Salve's campus in Newport, RI is very hard to beat, if they had a rink on campus they would be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by landing1010 View Post
    Certainly the recruiting landscape has changed a lot over the past 10 years. So many good players are out there and there are only so many spots to fill. Endicott has a nice campus and great on-campus facility and a good recruiting team, which is why they were good day one, much like Adrian was 10 years ago. In Salve's case, they have had solid recruiting the past 6 years so and beat Trinity the year after they won the championship and Endicott last year in addition to winning the ECAC Northeast a few years ago, so while they are not at the consistent caliber of the Norwich's, Hobarts, Trinity's of the world, they have made a steady climb over the last 5-6 years. In respect to campus living, Salve's campus in Newport, RI is very hard to beat, if they had a rink on campus they would be even better.
    I was told Norwich recruited eight of the players that are currently playing for Salve...if that gives you any idea how far the program has come.
    GO LAKERS!!!
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    I was told Norwich recruited eight of the players that are currently playing for Salve...if that gives you any idea how far the program has come.

And I am sure all eight of those players were talking to D1 programs at some point. D3 Hockey is very good hockey for sure

Quote Originally Posted by NU Pastime View Post
    Are there pictures posted anywhere of the banner ceremony last night?

I've been checking the different media outlets, and while I haven't seen any pictures, I did come across this in the Times-Argus:

"Jack Billings and Evan Schmidbauer scored first-half goals for Salve Regina before Danny Eruzione extended the lead to 3-0 in the third quarter."

First-half goals? Third quarter? How do sports writers in Vermont not know basic hockey terminology?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
    The NU Alumni Monthly email said it was on our Facebook page, but I haven't checked it.

NU56
    Old Member
    Maybe the Oldest

GO LAKERS!!!
    Oswego State '09

nice

Quote Originally Posted by bakdraft21 View Post
    nice
    Indeed. Thanks Prez!

Just wanted to let you all know I'm lurking. Been quite busy!

Quote Originally Posted by KrbFlint View Post
    Just wanted to let you all know I'm lurking. Been quite busy!
    Your posts have all disappeared?!
    GO LAKERS!!!
    Oswego State '09

Your posts have all disappeared?!
    And my name changed! Hmmm...

Thread Information