Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bog Hockey View Post
    LIttle known secret the Cadets lack offensive scoring power this season. As such, opposing coaches are much more comfortable playing their 2nd and 3rd string goalies. The absence of a Piacentini or a Pelletier is most evident. Norwich attracts that type of player once every four years or so. I’m seeing more coasting this year than in recent memory, but the aggressiveness seems to have picked up in the last few games.
    While I agree that we are not scoring, I am not ready to believe that opposing coaches are so comfortable with the Cadets lack of scoring that they're willing to put even a third string goalie in against NU. More likely, a coach with only three or four wins at this point of the season is giving everyone on his squad a chance to play--including 3rd string goalies...and even against the Cadets.

One again, McShane was in a rebuilding year and yet somehow we find ourselves on top of the heap going into the last weekend. We've done it before during these so called, "rebuilding" years. And wouldn't we all be shuttering if we were going through a 10-10 season like that great program at Plattsburgh is currently enduring?

NU Prof is right...this club is full of YOUNG talent...but more recently they seem to be playing more as a mature team. It was a team that was down 2 goals today in the third period...but a great team that was able to reach inside itself to deliver an OT win. We have to have faith!!!!

Honestly? I am delightfully surprised by our success while noting that traditional conference rivals like UMass and Babson have been stubbing their own toes along the way. Against Hobart next week we will find out how good and consistent our young Cadets can be. I've always felt that Hobart was going to be a huge factor this season and in the seasons to follow.
    Last edited by Old Rook NU'66; 02-03-2018, 09:52 PM.
    Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
    Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

• Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

I’ve said this team is TALENTED enough to make the final four, or even win it all with some puck luck. It’s all a matter of discipline and consistency, which is obvious given the relative youth. As long as Coach McShane is coaching (and perhaps more importantly, Steve Mattson is recruiting), Norwich will always have very good hockey players.

I grew up watching Shawn Walsh’s Maine teams, who were in the hunt for a national title virtually every season. Walsh was a great coach, but the key to the whole thing was Grant Standbrook. He recruited all those kids. We have a version of that in Mattson. He is an excellent recruiter and critical to this program’s consistent excellence.

Another positive is that, while there aren’t a lot of seniors, there are a ton of sophomores, and those sophomores played a significant role in last season’s championship. They won’t be cowed by the big stage, should Norwich reach it.

I’m really excited for Friday night (understatement). Let’s secure home ice for the conference tourney, and see what happens. The talent is there. With some good bounces, health, and a “survive and advance” mentality, I think this team could go further than most people outside our fan base think!

Comment

• Let’s all remember too, for “not being able to score”, the team is 17-5-1 and in position to clinch home ice for the playoffs again in perhaps one of the most competitive if not the most competitive season in the NEHC since the interlock ended.

Another really strong senior class will depart after this year but there is a lot of talent in the younger classes. I’ve been really impressed with the progression we’ve seen of Jordan Hall, Ryan Boucher and Scott Swanson this season to name a few. Obviously Downs is Downs and has been a stud since Day 1. But certainly has 40+ point potential.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          Let’s all remember too, for “not being able to score”, the team is 17-5-1 and in position to clinch home ice for the playoffs again in perhaps one of the most competitive if not the most competitive season in the NEHC since the interlock ended.

Another really strong senior class will depart after this year but there is a lot of talent in the younger classes. I’ve been really impressed with the progression we’ve seen of Jordan Hall, Ryan Boucher and Scott Swanson this season to name a few. Obviously Downs is Downs and has been a stud since Day 1. But certainly has 40+ point potential.
          2-1 wins count the same as 6-2 wins!

Comment

• Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
            +1.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
              Not for Oswego fans
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                Not for Oswego fans
                Those were the days gone by,new team,we beat ya up for 3 periods and hope to get out with a win,working pretty good so far,not to mention the netminding and defensive play has been very good to match the special teams...

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  Let’s all remember too, for “not being able to score”, the team is 17-5-1 and in position to clinch home ice for the playoffs again in perhaps one of the most competitive if not the most competitive season in the NEHC since the interlock ended.

From the state of this forum the last few weeks it is glaringly obvious we were spoiled rotten last year. This is an excellent season especially considering the caliber of skill and leadership we lost after last season. Looking forward to the next month and see how these guys do in Playoff hockey!

Comment

• Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post
                    From the state of this forum the last few weeks it is glaringly obvious we were spoiled rotten last year. This is an excellent season especially considering the caliber of skill and leadership we lost after last season. Looking forward to the next month and see how these guys do in Playoff hockey!
                    True, but I always think its best to find the practical middle ground between the debby downers and ever optimists. Last year, for example, there were those who thought the golden years were behind us and those who didn't like to hear any criticism. While the optimists proved to be correct in the end, it doesn't erase the fact that a legitimate concern heading into the playoffs was NU's relatively weak schedule. You can be optimistic about the team and still have concerns.

This year, we all know they're talented. They're in first place and have a good record. But, given the standards of the program (I'd italicize this if I could on my phone for emphasis), there are concerns heading forward. Lack of scoring is one, perhaps. Lack of discipline is the biggest one for me. They've showed improvement lately which is encouraging. However, what isn't encouraging is that their biggest offensive weapon heading into the season has proven to be the biggest liability in regards to discipline. Hopefully, given recent events, that's going to change. But senior leadership has been lacking.
                    Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                      Last year, for example, there were those who thought the golden years were behind us and those who didn't like to hear any criticism. While the optimists proved to be correct in the end, it doesn't erase the fact that a legitimate concern heading into the playoffs was NU's relatively weak schedule. You can be optimistic about the team and still have concerns.
                      Aren't we where we are....at this time in every NU hockey season...full of hope, concerns, etc. and all in the form of questions. And while the specific concerns may differ each year...the McShane solution remains the same, e.g. focus on winning the next game.
                      Last edited by Old Rook NU'66; 02-05-2018, 07:07 PM.
                      Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

With the new USCHOL website....is there a place on the site where all the DIII team statistics are aggregated into an overall DIII weekly report so I can see how NU team stats stack up against all DIII teams and players?

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

Another really strong senior class will depart after this year but there is a lot of talent in the younger classes. I’ve been really impressed with the progression we’ve seen of Jordan Hall, pRyan Boucher and Scott Swanson this season to name a few. Obviously Downs is Downs and has been a stud since Day 1. But certainly has 40+ point potential.
                          Just to be clear USM didn't play the 3rd string goalie by choice: the other two were injured....Hall is a good player, huge loss for USM this year...

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
                            With the new USCHOL website....is there a place on the site where all the DIII team statistics are aggregated into an overall DIII weekly report so I can see how NU team stats stack up against all DIII teams and players?
                            There isn't a weekly report, but the stats page does have the seasons results.
                            Go 'Wick!

Comment

• The Norwich/Middlebury rivalry is alive and well ... on the women's side. Great game tonight at Kreitzberg.

Comment

I think this years freshman class is second only to the class that went to four final fours. Question I have is what happened to Ian Williams?
                                He have mono or something? I've talked to classmates along the rail battling injuries. Scoop? I was at Utica last year for final four. That
                                kid is top line talent.

Comment

Working...
                                X