Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

Magic number is 3. Any combination of Cadet points and points that Hobart does not get totaling 3 gives the regular season title to NU. A Cadet win and a Hobart loss/tie tomorrow is all that it takes. On the other hand, I hate going into that place in Henniker. They say it's 200 x 85, but it looks smaller than that. I hope they don't get sucked into retaliating against NEC's sly stick work.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Cadets in trouble. Down 0-2 to NEC and looking listless.

Comment

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
        Cadets in trouble. Down 0-2 to NEC and looking listless.
        No fire - seen a few instance of stuff by NEC that isn't being called, but the PP they had was also listless

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          No fire - seen a few instance of stuff by NEC that isn't being called, but the PP they had was also listless
          Better now!

Comment

Points are points but that was the definition of playing with fire. Can’t go down 2 goals next Friday...

Comment

And they win it in overtime. Cadets snatched victory from defeat in this one. Scored 2 in the third and then in overtime. A short handed goal, and 2 PP goals
              Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Need a point next weekend that's all. Need, however to beat Hobart to get a running start on the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
                  Just returned from the USM game...another cliff hanger. The boys certainly fired enough shots off (32) but only scored twice...but enough for the win. I cannot recall a game where we got off as many "almost goals" only to miss by inches...including a late minute attempt at an empty netter. We managed, for the most part, to stay out of "the box"...no doubt due to some McShane's remedial after practice coaching this past week. Obviously USM didn't get the memo and gooned it up...including a five minute major. I maybe wrong but it seems that all the games have had more rough stuff this season than I can ever recall. I also can't recall as aggressive forechecking by Norwich than what we've seen this season. BTY... I was told this was the USM goalie's first game...he did a superb job.

As I said earlier I sense the NU team is really coming together...I just wish we'd see a few more insurance goals rather than these 1 goal wins. I guess Skidmore brought their best game to UMass tonight...thank you ponies. And neither Babson or Hobart got much out of their game. It is clear that USM...Skidmore...and NEC....even with their current records are not to be taken lightly. We still have a lot of work ahead to bring the Conference Championship back home to Northfield.
                  I maybe wrong but it seems that all the games have had more rough stuff this season than I can ever recall. I also can't recall as aggressive forechecking by Norwich than what we've seen this season. BTY... I was told this was the USM goalie's first game...he did a superb job.

That was USM "3" goalie on the depth chart...Gutsy effort from the kid

Comment

On every team/conference thread it seems like people are seeing an increase in the rough play. It could be a trend. It's also a style of hockey. There's plenty of hockey fans who wish the NHL was like it used to be.

As for the Cadets, I was unable to watch the game today, but I'm happy with the outcome. One shouldn't worry about style points when playing in Henniker. Just get the W and go home.
                    Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

LIttle known secret the Cadets lack offensive scoring power this season. As such, opposing coaches are much more comfortable playing their 2nd and 3rd string goalies. The absence of a Piacentini or a Pelletier is most evident. Norwich attracts that type of player once every four years or so. I’m seeing more coasting this year than in recent memory, but the aggressiveness seems to have picked up in the last few games.

Comment

Speaking of Piacentini, he scored a hat trick for the Huntsville Havoc of the SPHL last night.
                        Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by Bog Hockey View Post
                          LIttle known secret the Cadets lack offensive scoring power this season. As such, opposing coaches are much more comfortable playing their 2nd and 3rd string goalies. The absence of a Piacentini or a Pelletier is most evident. Norwich attracts that type of player once every four years or so. I’m seeing more coasting this year than in recent memory, but the aggressiveness seems to have picked up in the last few games.
                          I think Coby Downs will mature into that type of player. Kid has serious mitts. Check out his juniors highlights if you want. Very gifted.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
                            I think Coby Downs will mature into that type of player. Kid has serious mitts. Check out his juniors highlights if you want. Very gifted.
                            No doubt; I guess I’m being a bit impatient.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bog Hockey View Post
                              No doubt; I guess I’m being a bit impatient.
                              With every goal a struggle, I don’t blame you!

Comment

Originally posted by Bog Hockey View Post
                                This is true, but you've got to play good defensive hockey and maximize your chances. Downs is progressing. Norwich has (for years) been in this recruiting cycle where they go from senior heavy to frosh heavy. Eventually the frosh develop into great players. You have to have patience for the new kids to develop. I spent 30 years teaching at Norwich and following hockey, so this is not a new phenomenon in any case.

Comment

Working...
                                X