• Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich 2017-18 Season Thread: Defending the Crown

5-1 final Cadets win.
    Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Originally posted by NU56 View Post
      Sorry I can't be there, but I'm stuck in the cold down here in Florida. I always thought of Middlebury as THE main rival..............in fact in our day we never even heard of Caselton College, but my grandson says its now THE rival. Times change, but I'm glad we still play Middlebury for old time's sake. With old, big rivals, you just never know who will win. There have been many surprises over the years. Let's hope tonight isn't one of them.
      Castleton is certainly a bigger rivalry than Middlebury right now...but the series is very one-sided towards Norwich. The nice thing about Castleton is that rivalry can transcend all sports since we play them in almost everything. I'd say the men's hockey team's current biggest rival would be Babson though.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
        Castleton is certainly a bigger rivalry than Middlebury right now...but the series is very one-sided towards Norwich. The nice thing about Castleton is that rivalry can transcend all sports since we play them in almost everything. I'd say the men's hockey team's current biggest rival would be Babson though.
        That's the main thing. Middlebury is really only a consistent rival in hockey. When I played baseball we only played them once in my four years.

And while hockey is the flagship sport, I think football is still the sport where rivalries are really established. The Maple Sap Bucket Game has gone a long ways towards cementing the Norwich-Castleton rivalry, and the fact that the series is even and back-and-forth (I think the overall record is 5-4 NU?) accentuates it even more.

As for tonight, great game. Geoege, I know you get a lot of compliments on this board, but after relying strictly on audio tonight I appreciate your efforts and abilities even more! Same goes for Cory. He's easily the best color commentator at the DIII level and truly a top-notch talent in general.
        Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

The Times-Argus isn't pulling any punches in their commentary on the state of Middlebury-Norwich:

NORTHFIELD — Norwich vs. Middlebury was once one of Division III college hockey’s most intense rivalries.

But in the second game of the season between the in-state rivals on Tuesday night, there was nothing that indicated any sort of antagonism.

The Norwich University men’s hockey team made taking a win from the Panthers look like stealing candy from a newborn. The Cadets scored a pair of first period goals and never looked back en route to a 5-1 win over Middlebury in front of a half-full Kreitzberg Arena.

“You’re not getting the crowds we did before,” Norwich coach Mike McShane conceded after the game. “There’s no question it’s different. We have to take care of what we have (and) they take care of what they’ve got. Right now, our guys are playing hard and working their tails off.”

The simple truth about the supposed Norwich-Middlebury rivalry: It no longer exists.
          Full article: https://www.timesargus.com/articles/...iddlebury-5-1/
          Norwich '13

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post

As for tonight, great game. Geoege, I know you get a lot of compliments on this board, but after relying strictly on audio tonight I appreciate your efforts and abilities even more! Same goes for Cory. He's easily the best color commentator at the DIII level and truly a top-notch talent in general.
            I would rate SNC color man, Chris Spiering among the very best in D3 hockey...the man knows his hockey stuff...
            SNC Men:
            Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
            NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
            SNC Women:
            O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
              I would rate SNC color man, Chris Spiering among the very best in D3 hockey...the man knows his hockey stuff...
              That's true. I've only watched a few SNC games, but now that you've reminded me I remember being impressed with him.
              Norwich '13

Comment

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                And while hockey is the flagship sport, I think football is still the sport where rivalries are really established. The Maple Sap Bucket Game has gone a long ways towards cementing the Norwich-Castleton rivalry, and the fact that the series is even and back-and-forth (I think the overall record is 5-4 NU?) accentuates it even more.
                Interesting in that the student body differences with Castleton are just as pronounced as they are with Middlebury. Castleton students aren’t like Midd, but they’re just as different from Norwich kids. Castleton students very much embrace the “Vermont” stereotypes, and here come the (typically) conservative, tough, military school kids. As you’ve said before, makes the rivalry enjoyable!

Comment

• Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
                  Interesting in that the student body differences with Castleton are just as pronounced as they are with Middlebury. Castleton students aren’t like Midd, but they’re just as different from Norwich kids. Castleton students very much embrace the “Vermont” stereotypes, and here come the (typically) conservative, tough, military school kids. As you’ve said before, makes the rivalry enjoyable!
                  That's definitely true. It's sad that Norwich-Middlebury is a rivalry in decline, but Norwich-Castleton is a great rivalry. Norwich dominates in hockey, but across the other sports it's a real and intense rivalry. Even with the Cadets' domination in hockey, the intensity is still noticeably higher.
                  Norwich '13

Comment

I hate to keep saying this, but can this team PLEASE wear the whites and maroons once in a while? They have BEAUTIFUL “traditional” home and away unis but insist on wearing the alternates all the time. Drives me bananas...clearly.

And don’t give me the Military Appreciation Weekend excuse. A) I wish “we” didn’t do one. “We” are literally appreciating ourselves*. It’s different when civilian schools do it. B) If the camo jerseys are going to be the “thing” for Military Appreciation Weekend, they shouldn’t be worn so frequently.

*As we all know, the make up of the hockey team is far different than the makeup of the school, but still.

Comment

Also, the combination of cold beer and frustration that Skidmore is hanging around might be extra motivation behind that last post 😎

Comment

I feel better now (4-2 Cadets), but I still wish they were wearing the whites

Comment

Young Flint, hmmmm, I know K.R.B. Flint is credited with the Cadet’s Creed, and I know you didn’t graduate from Norwich. Did you serve in uniform?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bog Hockey View Post
                            Young Flint, hmmmm, I know K.R.B. Flint is credited with the Cadet’s Creed, and I know you didn’t graduate from Norwich. Did you serve in uniform?
                            I did not have the appropriate amount of courage when I was of that age, which is probably why I’m so awed/impressed by the young people at Norwich who do, and why I hold Norwich grads in such high esteem.

Believe me, I’m not trying to be mysterious. Many posters here know exactly who I am. I have no real reason to remain anonymous, and I don’t think I’ve ever posted anything to be embarrassed by (aside from a brief spat with PSUChamps), I just prefer it. If that ever offends or really bothers someone, I certainly apologize and would never intend to do so.

Comment

Agreed on the camo jerseys. We've had this talk many times before. They are greatly overdone.
                              Norwich '13

Comment

Did anybody else totally lose the NSN feed last night? It just spun for me for about 10 minutes, and when I closed NSN out and came back it still did not work.
                                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X